Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What would you pay for a replacement CM15 if it had all the old features that worked?

no more then what the old unit was sold for $49.99
- 10 (30.3%)
$50 - $100
- 11 (33.3%)
$100-$150
- 9 (27.3%)
$200-$250
- 3 (9.1%)
more then $250
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: December 31, 2012, 03:15:19 PM

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What would you be willing to Pay?  (Read 11024 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
What would you be willing to Pay?
« on: July 24, 2012, 04:14:44 PM »

Rumours say X10 is developing a replacement for this device.
I'm sure most users would pay more for the replacement if it had extra features and you may comment on that.
Will this poll affect a x10 pricing for a new replacement?
I doubt it as Polls generally don't get much input.
If anything it may persuade X10 to Can producing a CM15 replacement :( ::) :'

I've been lucky with both my cm15 units as they don't suffer any issues other users have experienced and posted about.
There are many options that users would like to be added but to keep the poll simple  I left it as being just a replacement (no enhancements)
However I'd like to see wifi or a eithernet connection added and would pay for that extra added feature.

Note: I'll keep the poll active and thread unlocked until end of the year or X10 releases the replacement which ever comes first.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
Re: What would you be willing to Pay?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 10:20:18 AM »

However I'd like to see wifi or a eithernet connection added and would pay for that extra added feature.

Me too.   >!
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 04:33:20 PM »

While it's not likely to happen tomorrow, it will likely happen soon but with inexpensive WiFi lamp/appliance modules, bypassing X10 altogether.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 04:47:07 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 07:57:53 AM »

While it's not likely to happen tomorrow, it will likely happen soon but with inexpensive WiFi lamp/appliance modules, bypassing X10 altogether.

There is this too:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/limemouse/lifx-the-light-bulb-reinvented

But the buzz is that it will never reach market.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 08:45:53 AM »

I posted about LIFX a few days ago. It's a bit of a hybrid in that it uses WiFi to the master bulb which then uses a ZigBee mesh network to control all slave bulbs. It's not 100% clear from the web page but, reading between the lines, each bulb can do WiFi or ZigBee and the first one installed becomes master. It appears each bulb also has the memory/scheduling capability as well

I would think going without the WiFi and other features in ZigBee slaves would cost less but the Intel technology might make LIFX obsolete before it reaches the market.

BTW, how does one tap into the buzz?
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 11:48:20 AM »

Not meaning to hi-jack this thread, but am I the only person who is a little sacred at the idea of a WiFi radio incorporated in every PC processor chip? If you "lock it down" will it truely be incapable of transmitting(?).  (I deny all forms of big brother paranoia..but there are three black GM SUVs setting on my street, as I write this).
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 12:46:45 PM »

I think it's already been thoroughly hijacked.  :'

With present highest security levels (WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK), WiFi is reasonably secure - it would need at least 5 black SUVs to hack it. Most routers allow you to filter WiFi connections based on MAC addresses which are unique to a device so you would be secure from neighborhood kids gaslighting you and from most professional burglars.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 02:28:21 PM »

I think it's already been thoroughly hijacked.  :'

With present highest security levels (WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK), WiFi is reasonably secure - it would need at least 5 black SUVs to hack it. Most routers allow you to filter WiFi connections based on MAC addresses which are unique to a device so you would be secure from neighborhood kids gaslighting you and from most professional burglars.
U-h-h-h, it's not neighborhood kids or burglers that I'm worried about.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 03:29:44 PM »

Here's my problem.  Grandpa always had to drive an Oldsmobile he even had a REO truck.  Mom, in turn drove Olds, and I had purchased several for myself and my wife.  Point is, it worked and I hate change.  I got into X10 in 1988 and it still works and I hate change.  I don't want to admit how much I've invested in X10 gear, as my wife already has a weak heart.  I don't want to invest in a new technology when the old one is just fine.

To get this thread back on topic:

I voted that I'd be willing to pay $50-100 for a new X10 controller.  Granted, I had it in mind that a next generation CM15A was in the pipeline.  I doubt i'll be purchasing a CM15A in the future, as I already own 5 of them and the new CM15 is identical (supposedly) to the old one and costs tuice the amount I paid for each of them.  I am willing to pay the extra price, but want more that the same-ol same-ol.  Same software, same design on the hardware.

For the record, wife now drives a Chrysler 300, and I had no input on the decision. sigh.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 03:45:05 PM »

Same software, same design on the hardware.
For the record, wife now drives a Chrysler 300, and I had no input on the decision. sigh.
OK just for a change of pace: Download free 30 day trial of Homeseer2. It will use CM15A as interface. With a XTBIIR, XTBM, and a WGL W800 USB for RF, you will be good for another 5 to 10 years as long as you have plenty of X10 spares.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 05:35:14 PM »

Same software, same design on the hardware.
OK just for a change of pace: Download free 30 day trial of Homeseer2. It will use CM15A as interface. With a XTBIIR, XTBM, and a WGL W800 USB for RF, you will be good for another 5 to 10 years as long as you have plenty of X10 spares.

Just looked at Homeseer, prices range from $219.95 to $600.00.    OUCH!!! 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 07:19:06 PM »

Yes. Definite sticker shock, especially if you buy their hardware and touch screen stuff. But it does everything and can drive several different remote control systems (X10, Z-wave, UPB, etc). AND it is free for a whole 30 days!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 08:15:08 PM »

Dave,

It might be free for the thirty days, it's the $$$$$$ you gotta put out if you like it.   Prices like that make the C Note for the CM15A look cheap.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Bill H

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 04:04:12 PM »

I voted for the $100-150 range, but there's an exception. I would want the software to be totally downloadable (or available on CD) so it can be installed without needing X10 servers. In that way, I don't have to worry that X10 is going to pull the plug in the near future. I would even pay separately for the software if I can own it completely.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 05:55:09 PM »

Homeseer is at the high-end of PC-based automation systems.  There are more economical systems out there with fewer features.  Look at Home Domination and the X10-only version of Home Control Assistant (HCA).

I understand Homeseer offers occasional special deals too.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.