Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 10amp XPPF filters  (Read 4329 times)

RTD

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
10amp XPPF filters
« on: July 26, 2012, 09:00:17 PM »

Our TV set up includes the 42' LCD tv, the separate tuner gizmo and the cable box. Our stereo includes the tuner/amp, the HD radio tuner, and the c d player.
I've read that the 5A XPPF get hot easily.
Should I seek 10A XPPFs? If so where can I find them? So far I've only found the 5 amp units.
Thanks in advance.
                             Tim fm CT

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: 10amp XPPF filters
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 06:13:47 AM »

XPPF is a 5 amp don't push it too close filter.
The Smarthome 1626-10 is a 10 amp filter with a unfiltered pass through outlet on the front. I have my UPS connected to one on the filtered outlet and the pass through has my Insteon PLM controller in it.
http://www.smarthome.com/1626-10/FilterLinc-10-Amp-Plug-In-Noise-Filter/p.aspx

Act makes a nice 15 amp one AF-120 even has a external fuse access. On the off chance blow the fuse.
http://www.smarthome.com/4845ACF/ACT-AF120-15-Amp-Plug-In-Noise-Filter/p.aspx

Web searches may find better prices than Smarthomes are.

JV Digital Engineering has also released their 10 amp filter.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=25699.0
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 06:41:01 AM by Brian H »

RTD

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 09:15:05 AM »

XPPF is a 5 amp don't push it too close filter.
The Smarthome 1626-10 is a 10 amp filter with a unfiltered pass through outlet on the front. I have my UPS connected to one on the filtered outlet and the pass through has my Insteon PLM controller in it.
http://www.smarthome.com/1626-10/FilterLinc-10-Amp-Plug-In-Noise-Filter/p.aspx

Act makes a nice 15 amp one AF-120 even has a external fuse access. On the off chance blow the fuse.
http://www.smarthome.com/4845ACF/ACT-AF120-15-Amp-Plug-In-Noise-Filter/p.aspx

Web searches may find better prices than Smarthomes are.

JV Digital Engineering has also released their 10 amp filter.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=25699.0

Hi Brian,
           I've decided to reloook at providing a good path between phases in our house. I purchased the dryer plug in device thinking I still had the dryer recepticle after going to a gas dryer. Turns out it was later used when we had central air conditioning installed.
          We did still have the original recpticle for our electric range that we have converted to gas. As you know the recepticles are different so I changed the recepticle to a dryer recepticle then pluged in the smarthome signalinc. Shouldn't that provide the x10 path?
           It doesn't seem to. Yesterday I took a lamp and tried to turn it on in different parts of the housewith the activehome pro.
It worked in the kitchen outlets and not the dining room outlets. It worked in the livingroom  but not the hall etc. Doesn't that appear to indicate that the smarthome signalinc isn't working?
                 tim fm ct

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 11:08:08 AM »

If it is the passive SignalLinc. It is just a capacitor and series inductor to roughly tune it to the X10 120KHz power line signals. Marginally better than the capacitor alone.
It can only couple the signal at its strength on to the other phase where it can also have more losses.

If it is the active Coupler Repeater SignalLinc {has the four LEDs}. Then it should put a higher signal back on the other phase from the one it is repeating.

RTD

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 11:13:54 AM »

If it is the passive SignalLinc. It is just a capacitor and series inductor to roughly tune it to the X10 120KHz power line signals. Marginally better than the capacitor alone.
It can only couple the signal at its strength on to the other phase where it can also have more losses.

If it is the active Coupler Repeater SignalLinc {has the four LEDs}. Then it should put a higher signal back on the other phase from the one it is repeating.

Thanks again Brian.
                           Would adding the XPCR phase coupler/repeater help?

Tim

RTD

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 11:29:42 AM »

The smarthome coupler repeater signalinc is no longer available.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 11:41:38 AM »

The XPCR should help but individual installations would vary on how much.
Not to be a wet blanket but the XPCR is also discontinued and hard to find.
X10 is changing their business model and has closed their China Factory. Some items are being made by others for X10 as far as I can tell.

The XTB-IIR is the king of Repeater Couplers. The ACT CR234 has also been used by members here with good luck.

Do you have a three or four pin dryer outlet for a SingnaLinc Repeater Coupler?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 11:51:40 AM by Brian H »

RTD

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 11:55:43 AM »

The XPCR should help but individual installations would vary on how much.
Not to be a wet blanket but the XPCR is also discontinued and hard to find.
X10 is changing their business model and has closed their China Factory. Some items are being made by others for X10 as far as I can tell.

The XTB-IIR is the king of Repeater Couplers. The ACT CR234 has also been used by members here with good luck.

Do you have a three or four pin dryer outlet for a SingnaLinc Repeater Coupler?

Brian,
        I has 3 male prongs. It does not have any LEDs.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 12:39:23 PM »

Oops. I knew you had a coupler and typed coupler/repeater.  ???

I will check my storage box's. I may have one or two of them no longer in use. They don't play nice with Insteon Signals.  :'
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 07:11:59 PM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.