Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can't connect to every room  (Read 4134 times)

meebers

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Can't connect to every room
« on: July 15, 2012, 07:17:49 PM »

I cannot control modules in some of my rooms via the CM15 or my "plug N Power remote control center" power line connection.  The HR12a's seem to work ok.   The problem maybe because of 2 reasons??.  Some of my house is wired directly from the outside power meter box, approx 10 circuit breakers there. The remainder of the house is wired from the main power to a panel in the garage.  Seems like there was some sort of a coupling module for this???  The second probable area is I have several UPS's in the house, computer, TV etc which claim to have noise filtering in them.  Are they possibly "clamping" the x10 signals thinking they are noise? 

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Can't connect to every room
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 07:53:25 PM »

I cannot control modules in some of my rooms via the CM15 or my "plug N Power remote control center" power line connection.  The HR12a's seem to work ok.   The problem maybe because of 2 reasons??.  Some of my house is wired directly from the outside power meter box, approx 10 circuit breakers there. The remainder of the house is wired from the main power to a panel in the garage.  Seems like there was some sort of a coupling module for this???  The second probable area is I have several UPS's in the house, computer, TV etc which claim to have noise filtering in them.  Are they possibly "clamping" the x10 signals thinking they are noise? 

Could be noise, but are your Circuits split, the power comes in at 220 volts and each leg gets 110 volts.  Your need to connect the phases so the X10 signals can pass.  If you have an electric stove you can put a capacitor across the lines in the socket the stove is plugged in (electric stoves are usually 220 volts.  Check the various topics here you should find the right size capacitor.   
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 06:00:59 AM »

OH Yes. UPS units and many other electronic devices have internal filters to keep their noise from going back on the power lines. Those same noise reducers suck up X10 power line signals.
Also some things like CFLs and LED bulbs to name a few can make power line noise and also mess up X10 Power Line signals.

Most homes are wires split single phase and the X10 power line signals have a problem getting from one phase to the other through the transformer on the street. Many of us use the JV Engineering XTB-IIR Cadillac of couple repeaters. There are a few others like the ACT CR234 and X10Pro XPCR.

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://www.act-remote.com/PCC/uncle.htm
http://www.davehouston.net/

meebers

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 07:22:10 PM »

Thanks Brian.  Read your links twice now and understand. -:)  Very informative especially the need for a filter to couple over the 120khz signals only and not to just couple over a whole bandwidth of noise.  Trying to decide now if I want to buy the kit or not. 

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.