Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to the forum. Need info regarding motion sensors over 250' from the house.  (Read 3217 times)

Robertone139

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Hi all, I have been looking at X10 stuff for quite some time, but only now I am in a position where I may need something specific.
I have a 250' driveway where I am going to run electricity to light up 4 light poles and bring power to the entrance for an outlet. I would like to have the four pole lights react to motion sensor commands at both ends of the run; the problem is that all the motion sensors I looked at are wireless (that would be the subject of another thread) and the combination of detection range and transmission range does not play in my favor.
All this because I would like to run just one 12/2 buried down that distance.
Any suggestions from the experts? >!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51

When you run the wire for the lights, run a low voltage line all the way down, and use a wired motion detector (NOT from X10) to trigger a PowerFlash (if you can find one) as a dry contact sensor.
If you wire both motion sensors (the one at the bottom of the driveway and the one at the top) together, then either one should trigger the powerflash (in theory).

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

I have seen the PF284 or X10Pro PSC01 going for more than a Insteon I/OLinc where you can add an X10 address to it.
I/OLinc only does Dry Contacts so low voltage triggers need more things like maybe a relay or electronic circuit to simulate a dry contact.

Robertone139

If I move the motion sensor in a little and locate an outdoor wireless receiver somewhere in between, I may be able to solve the problem. The question is, all receivers I have seen do not seem to be "All-WX' capable.
I would like to do X10 so as to be able to integrate the lighting with other home commands.
The Insteon Skylink motion sensor seems to have a quite more extensive communication range (up to 500'), is it X10 compatible?
Thanks as usual. >!

Brian H

• Community Organizer

No the Insteon Motion sensor by Skylink does not do X10.
X10 is 310MHz Insteon is 915MHz and a completely different protocol.
The sales page says 150' for the Insteon Motion Sensor.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 07:06:56 AM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer

The Dakota Alert WMA3000 Motion Sensor Kit. Lists a 600' range and the four channels on the receiver. Have relay outputs that can trigger a PowerFlash module or an I/OLinc Insteon module with an added X10 adddress.

They also have individual parts like extra series 3000 motion sensors and driveway sensors.
The receivers relays are a dry contact so you could have two motion sensors. With one on a channel and parallel the two relays so either one triggered the interface.

http://www.dakotaalert.com/catb2b1/index.php?cPath=47
Many dealers carry the Dakota Alert Systems and you can find cheaper prices than the priced they show on their web site.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 09:08:17 AM by Brian H »

Robertone139

Does anyone know of outdoor weather proof transceivers?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.