Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can the XX40a be damged if active between 32F & -13F  (Read 5108 times)

lawood39

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Can the XX40a be damged if active between 32F & -13F
« on: August 13, 2012, 03:56:35 PM »

I see that the operating temperature for the XX40a is 32F to 131F and the storage temperature is -14F to 131F. My question is what prevents operation between 32F and -14F. Is it restricted by the moving parts in cold whether or just overall general usage? In other words can it be in operation as long no panning or zooming is used.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Can the XX40a be damged if active between 32F & -13F
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 04:18:25 PM »

My WAG is; PTZ problems where the gear lube thickens in the cold and you end up stripping a gear...
I don't see cold having permanent effect on the camera electronics  (CCD, chips, etc.) Otherwise X10 would have to tell you to bring the camera indoors during winter  rofl
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 11:43:44 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 08:41:25 AM »

In other words can it be in operation as long no panning or zooming is used.

I think that this will be fine.

I tested a XX36A (the non-moving outdoor camera) in temperatures below zero F last winter and it worked without any problem. This camera has the same temperature range as the PTZ camera.

lawood39

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 09:25:28 AM »

That is interesting when I looked at the specs for the XX36A it showed both the minimum operating and storage temperature as -10C/14F whereas the 40A showed the min operating as 0C/32F and storage as -25C/-13F. Where are you looking that shows that the 2 have the same specifications. It would be nice if it was explained somewhere what component's can be damaged in extreme cold.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 11:59:03 AM »

It would be nice if it was explained somewhere what component's can be damaged in extreme cold.
Any of the water filled components.  rofl

Seriously, why would a manufacturer start enumerating what specific components can be damaged by the cold? X10 could never say "It's OK to continue to use camera from 32F to -20F as long as you don't pan, tilt, or zoom" because some fool will always forget, pan the camera, stripping a gear, and then whine to X10 about it. So it gets a blanket warning. If you live in extreamly cold area, there are heated dome camera mounts available. Kinda pricy however.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • I am here to help
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 02:28:14 PM »

That is interesting when I looked at the specs for the XX36A it showed both the minimum operating and storage temperature as -10C/14F whereas the 40A showed the min operating as 0C/32F and storage as -25C/-13F. Where are you looking that shows that the 2 have the same specifications. It would be nice if it was explained somewhere what component's can be damaged in extreme cold.

I was going from memory earlier - you are correct, the XX36A does have a lower operating temperature. I will ask my contact at the factory, if I get a helpful answer I will post it here.

lawood39

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 09:06:21 PM »

I can live without the PTZ feature when it is cold. I am just glad to the fact that I can still use it in a stationary mode along with not having to disconnect and bring it in out of the cold. Now all I need to do is run a powered ethernet cable. Did order one today.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • I am here to help
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 08:05:01 AM »

Here's what I was told by the factory. The camera's low temperature specs indicate the lowest temperature that the camera can first be plugged in. Once it is operating, it should be capable of working at a lower temperature. They could not specify an actual operating temperature range.

I have a XX40A in a 0 degree F freezer now. I will report back in a few days if it is still working.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • I am here to help
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 01:25:06 PM »

Just a quick update...

I have had the XX40A at 0 degrees F for 5 days, and it is still working normally - including pan, tilt, and zoom. I will follow up again after a week.

DISCLAIMER - This is a test of a single camera. This should not be taken as a modification to the manual's official specs.

Tyler E

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 01:36:53 PM »

That's awesome to know; I'm eagerly awaiting further test results.
Having trouble port forwarding your Airsight camera? Check out my guide!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 03:13:31 PM »

I have had the XX40A at 0 degrees F for 5 days

Let me guess - you wanted to find out who was stealing your ice cream, right?

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • I am here to help
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 08:47:27 AM »

I have had the XX40A at 0 degrees F for 5 days

Let me guess - you wanted to find out who was stealing your ice cream, right?

You got it. Nobody takes my food and gets away with it:)

lawood39

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 12:23:31 PM »

Camera came. Camera going back. Out of focus unless you were within 6" of the camera. I was told to remove the dome and look for a gold which there isn't one. They had me check for a ring. There is a black one. It have a very slight give, but did not appear to be loose. I did not want to force it one way or the other. Was afraid of the implications if I did and something broke. There was also a gold bar they had me check to see if it was loose. It was not.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 12:34:35 PM by lawood39 »

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • I am here to help
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 12:36:08 PM »

Camera came. Camera going back. Out of focus unless you were within 6" of the camera.

That can happen is the lens moves during shipping. If you would like to fix it, you can loosen the two screws that holds the lens (one is on each side of the lens and they should be covered with red locking compound). While viewing the image, adjust the lens so it is focused properly for your application. It slides in out out - it does not rotate. It should be pushed nearly all the way in. Tighten the screws.

lawood39

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 12:55:01 PM »

I took a look at the camera and it appears to be set where you said it should be. Did not want to try and adjust it even if this is the problem as it was not loose and I did not want to void the warranty.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:56:39 PM by lawood39 »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.