Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 closed circuit  (Read 3757 times)

LightworkerNaven

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 closed circuit
« on: September 05, 2012, 02:02:04 PM »

As X10 uses the power lines for its signals, how would you recommend that I make sure that the signal is only in my own house?  If I put a choke on the electrical main, would that stop or distort the signal so it stays a closed circuit?  If not, is there any way I can encrypt the signal using AES or the like?  I'd rather not have someone hacking my house and unlocking my doors by using the backdoor on the flawed protocol.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: X10 closed circuit
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 02:17:41 PM »

Since this is in the Security section are you asking about arming and disarming the consoles?
The security consoles are not armed and disarmed by the power line signals.
Only a registered RF Keyfob or the Security Tabletop Controller can arm and disarm them. Along with the buttons on the console itself. If it is a SC1200, not sure what buttons are on the older DS7000s.

The power line signals only turn On, Off and flash the security lights and trigger the Powerhorns if you have any.

If you want to stop other X10 devices power line controlled from being accessed.
Tell us more of what you want to prevent outside access to.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 02:20:52 PM by Brian H »

LightworkerNaven

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 02:21:19 PM »

OK thanks for the info.  =)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 03:21:44 PM »

1. how would you recommend that I make sure that the signal is only in my own house? 
2. If I put a choke on the electrical main, would that stop or distort the signal so it stays a closed circuit? 
3. If not, is there any way I can encrypt the signal using AES or the like? 
4. I'd rather not have someone hacking my house and unlocking my doors by using the backdoor on the flawed protocol.
1. You can't. Even the whole house filter, PZZ01, from X10 Pro,only attenuates incoming or outgoing PLC signal by about 30:1.
2. A 200 amp choke? Also if it distorts any incoming signal it will also distort the internal signal.
3. No.
4. X10 is not impervalous to faulsing. A power outage followed by a "brown-up" type of power restoration can cause modules to turn on. Although some people do use the X10 Universal Module to control electric striker plates it is not especially secure. X10 protocol was developed in the very late 1970's, long before any type of encryption.

Since you are a technician read this: http://hometoys.com/emagazine.php?url=/htinews/feb99/articles/kingery/kingery13.htm

Based on your concerns seen in two different threads, I don't think X10 is a good choice. Check out Z-Wave. As far as your range questions, search this forum using "range", "RF range", "wireless range", etc.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.