Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to detect life inside a car?  (Read 4788 times)

BoyntonStu

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
How to detect life inside a car?
« on: September 15, 2012, 09:03:21 AM »

Unfortunately, many children and pets die each year from heat (and cold) when left in cars.

I am looking for a solution that would sound the horn when the temperature in the car goes beyond a set point when there is life inside the car.

Motion, sound, Carbon Monoxide, etc. are possibilities.

Do you have a practical idea?

We can save lives if it can be done.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: How to detect life inside a car?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 09:58:45 AM »

That's a great idea but this may not be the best venue.

I would try either the national or international CAN Bus organizations.
Most microprocessor companies support CAN Bus.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »

Doesn't one car company already have a "heart beat detector" that can prevent a owner form entering a car with a person hiding in it.

Maybe.... if the car was turned off, heartbeat detector senses life, and interior temperture rises above say... 84 degrees, the electric windows lower and beep the horn and blink the lights once.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 12:44:50 PM »

I think you need to be aware of unintended consequences. Anything that unlocks doors, lowers windows, etc. might be exploited by thieves.

Something affixed to the child or pet that uses RF to interact with the cars CAN network to sound the horn might be practical.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 12:48:16 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 09:14:25 PM »

As well intentioned as this project sounds, technology can not, shall not and will not replace common sense.  In this case, technology even robs people of such.

Consider this:  What happens when some child or pet perishes under the watch of such device.  I'll bet I see a lawsuit and the blame going on the technology instead of the true root of the problem.

Just some food for thought, even the best emt or medic or nurse or doctor cannot save every patient.  We just had a person perish in a fire in this county last week.  The issue of a smoke detector wasn't mentioned, as the person lost was trying to get to their wheelchair to make exit.  I truly believe that the best firefighters we had in the county still couldn't save this person, and it hurts us all deeply.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

kenrad

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 12:26:08 AM »

As well intentioned as this project sounds, technology can not, shall not and will not replace common sense.  In this case, technology even robs people of such.

Consider this:  What happens when some child or pet perishes under the watch of such device.  I'll bet I see a lawsuit and the blame going on the technology instead of the true root of the problem.

Just some food for thought, even the best emt or medic or nurse or doctor cannot save every patient.  We just had a person perish in a fire in this county last week.  The issue of a smoke detector wasn't mentioned, as the person lost was trying to get to their wheelchair to make exit.  I truly believe that the best firefighters we had in the county still couldn't save this person, and it hurts us all deeply.

Knight Rider I couldnt agree with you more.  I have seen this to many times as a medic and the technology should not be used as a crutch.  I think that if it is to monitor for occupancy that is one thing but when looking at it as a baby sitter for kids that isn't safe.  I used motion detectors in my vehicles before I built the new garage that would announce if someone entered the vehicle while I had it parked outside in the driveway and it worked pretty good.  OR I had ds10a's connected to the door buttons like the ones that control the dome light so if a door was opened while I was upstairs I would be notified.  But that doesn't replace the parental responsibility of supervising your children  and providing for their safety

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 08:35:36 AM »

Boy, talk about throwing out the baby with the bath water:o

I think saving even one infant's life might be worth a few complications.

However, it might make more sense to notify mom/dad cell phones or even call 911 rather than tie it to the vehicle system.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 05:07:11 PM »

Boy, talk about throwing out the baby with the bath water:o

I think saving even one infant's life might be worth a few complications.

However, it might make more sense to notify mom/dad cell phones or even call 911 rather than tie it to the vehicle system.
Dave, you are one of the few on this forum that has the expertise and experience to do something like this. Maybe you and Boynton Stu should form a partnership on this project. Don't know if Boynton Stu has the design background, but he has invented a few things and could probably do a lot of the leg work. $0.02
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 06:14:05 PM »

I suspect there are several here who could do this. Anyway, I already have more on my plate then I'll likely be able to digest.

I would investigate wearable medical sensors that communicate with one's doctor to monitor the heart, etc. It might be possible to modify for temperature sensing and to call 911 or a list of cell phone numbers. For example...

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 09:29:15 AM »

One more suggestion.

FitBit uses a small battery powered wearable sensor that can be paired with a cell phone via Bluetooth. It has 5-6 month battery life plus a low battery indicator. A similar (and likely smaller) temperature sensor linked to a (hidden) cell phone that's kept fully charged by the vehicle electrical system with an app to call a list of numbers and/or 911 is very doable with existing technology and at reasonable cost. Since Bluetooth has very short range, it would automatically be disabled with the infant/toddler out of the vehicle.
It might even be something that could be tied into OnStar and similar systems.

Adding a GPS locator would be an added benefit - toddlers are hard to keep up with - I  referred to my 2-yr old greatgrandson as The Tasmanian Devil.  ;D

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.