Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: replacement AC Wall charger Airpad XL  (Read 5451 times)

daldude

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
replacement AC Wall charger Airpad XL
« on: September 12, 2012, 03:55:29 PM »

Where can one buy a replacement AC Wall  Charger for the Airpad XL?
Walmart almost had one that would work, it was a 1.3 amp (1300mah)universal AC Adaptor  by Power Line (that got bad reviews for their 2000 mah Car Charger on Amazon) that came with 8 tips and one looked small enough to fit the Airpad XL. They Also had one that was 3 amps but wanted 26.40 for it and Radio Shack has a 3 amp Adapter but they want 33 bucks for it  :o.
I've checked online for 5 volt 2 amp output AC Adaptors but since I don't know the size of the barrel plug (the end that plugs into the Tablet) I could not order one. That plug is real small.

I could buy a USB 2 Amp Charger but X10 repair said the USB Port is not designed to be used to charge the Airpad so I'm not sure if it would be safe to use it to charge the Airpad.

Why does it require 2 amps output? It's not like it's a Laptop, Air Conditioner or portable space heater.

Many of the other low budget Tablets sold at Big Lots, K-Mart and Wally World use basically the same charger but they look slightly different in shape. I had a Next Book tablet and it used a 5 volt 2 amp charger with that real small plug with a yellow ring on it.  B:(

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: replacement AC Wall charger Airpad XL
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 04:54:29 PM »

FWIW
The Airpad likely has a 2 or 3 amp battery in it, so a 2 amp charger makes sense for rapid charging. Micro USB connectors are not rated for that high of a current. So confining charging current to the coaxial connector also makes sense for rapid charging.
If you can find a charger with:
1. proper size coaxial connector.
2. proper voltage.
3. proper polarity.
Then the charging current has less importance. A charger with less current output than what X10 recommeds will only mean it will take longer to charge the battery.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

BuBuSpidecky

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
  • Hammie is my Hero
Re: replacement AC Wall charger Airpad XL
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 11:03:04 PM »

FWIW
The Airpad likely has a 2 or 3 amp battery in it, so a 2 amp charger makes sense for rapid charging. Micro USB connectors are not rated for that high of a current. So confining charging current to the coaxial connector also makes sense for rapid charging.
If you can find a charger with:
1. proper size coaxial connector.
2. proper voltage.
3. proper polarity.
Then the charging current has less importance. A charger with less current output than what X10 recommeds will only mean it will take longer to charge the battery.
I would recommend one of the Targus universal chargers with the correct tip. I don't know how to 'splain it, but they act like a power sponge which gives the connected device what it can suck out of it.
On the other hand, I use my old iPaq chargers that provide the exact specs as are on the charger for the Airpad. I also have used Logitech Wireless mouse chargers in an emergency. They worked too.

Cheers,
BuBu
Cheers,
BuBu

Out of my mind...Please Leave a message!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.