Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need an outdoor, night, system for trespass beyond 200 feet  (Read 1612 times)

guidecca

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Need an outdoor, night, system for trespass beyond 200 feet
« on: September 14, 2012, 06:37:55 AM »

A neighbor jumped a six foot privacy fence in January 2012 and cut down seven trees I planted 3 years ago.  I am preparing to plant seven more trees.  The farthest distance through my forest is 250 feet.  I wish to trap/catch any trespasser on three sides.  Is there a solution?  I have heard that wireless will have difficulty with trees and that bandwidth is not as robust with wireless and hence the picture quality will not be perfect.  I need to see in very dark conditions.  I would like to have remote control if possible and also have movement tracked by the camera.  What is a reasonable solution involving CCTV and wireless?  I do not want to use my windows computer for surveillance.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
Re: Need an outdoor, night, system for trespass beyond 200 feet
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 08:58:33 AM »

The farthest distance through my forest is 250 feet.  I have heard that wireless will have difficulty with trees and that bandwidth is not as robust with wireless and hence the picture quality will not be perfect.  

Wireless and a wired network connection both have the same image quality, however in your application wireless will not work due to the range. The maximum length of a wired network segment is 328 ft, so a wire connection will work, but you will need to have power to the camera which I will assume will be a problem. You will not be able to supply power over Ethernet (PoE) since its maximum range is limited to 100 ft.

I need to see in very dark conditions. 

The cameras do have good night vision capabilities, but the range is limited to 20-30 feet.

I would like to have remote control if possible and also have movement tracked by the camera.   I do not want to use my windows computer for surveillance.

Remote control is possible with a XX40A. All cameras will record when they sense motion, but they will not track the movement. Recording video will require you to record to a Windows PC

I do not think that an IP camera will work for your purposes. Perhaps a wildlife camera will work. Google "wildlife camera" and you will find many options.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.