Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Has Reliability Improved in Last 10 Years?  (Read 3123 times)

TromboneAl

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Has Reliability Improved in Last 10 Years?
« on: October 04, 2012, 09:41:23 PM »

I've been using my X10 stuff that I bought over 10 years ago.  I'm decided to replace some broken equipment or switch to a new system. 

I haven't been happy with the reliability of X10.  For example, the remote controller fails about 40% of the time, and I am unable to control some outlets (I'm aware of the phase issues).

If I buy some newer equipment, is it likely to work better?

Thanks,

Al

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Has Reliability Improved in Last 10 Years?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:59:44 PM »

X10's equipment hasn't changed in functionality in the last 10 years.

However, if you buy new equipment from www.jvde.us , it will all (new and old) become more reliable.  Just look for the xtb line of equipment.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 06:11:01 AM »

The environment that the X10 power line and RF signals need to work in are getting more polluted.
Many of the modern electronic gadgets and appliances. Now cause problems we didn't see years ago.
So things like the XTB-IIR coupler repeater and XTBM X10 signal meters are being used to overcome power line pollution and low signal levels.
Here are a few links to troubleshooting tips on things like noise makers and signal absorbers {AKA Signal Suckers}.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://www.act-remote.com/PCC/uncle.htm
http://www.davehouston.net/

medic5678

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 12:32:17 PM »

i've been testing, and it all seems pretty rock solid to me.  i did buy equipment to clean up and boost the signal but haven't hooked it up yet.  my plan is to spend, spend, spend until i get it to work the way i like.  it seems like this is going to be awesome!  got my windows xp system up and running.  the cma19 has been flawless thus far.

pomonabill221

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 04:45:07 PM »

Seems like the MAJOR problem with X10 isn't really X10, but the newer devices that are available on the market.
Switching power supplies (tv, cell phone, desk lamps, etc.)  are (can be) signal suckers AND noise generators.
CFL/LED lighting and some "under counter" halogen and led lighting (switching power supplies SMPS) (see above).
Even newer refrigerators are signal suckers... my fathers was a huge signal sucker...   B:( B:(an XPPF solved that problem.  :)%
I use the XTBM to find his and my problems... and INVALUABLE tool!!!   :)% :)% get it!  :)%

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 06:23:24 PM »

I can verify that new electronic devices can be a large signal sucker.
Was testing some new Dimmable LED Bulbs and using my XTBM looking for noise.
Used an outlet close to my XTB-IIR that is known to read 9.99 volts the highest the scale goes to.
I was seeing 2.35 volts on that outlet.
Seems my new LED TV caused the voltage to go from more than 9.99 volts to 2.35 volts.
Tried another outlet where I had moved the older LCD TV and found around 2.25 volts with it connected and 9.95 volts when disconnected.
XPPF here we go.  ;D

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.