Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AHP new installation. expectations?  (Read 4121 times)

medic5678

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
AHP new installation. expectations?
« on: October 06, 2012, 02:20:45 PM »

well, i got my windows xp computer configured.  that turned out to be an incredible more amount of work than i had planned.  as i installed it (xp pro from many years ago, laying idle).  getting the thing to finally accept service pack 3 took forever (complicated by the fact i have broadband that's not the fastest).  then windows kept trying to install a new sound device every time i booted.  nothing fixed it.  i tried driver after driver.  the problem was caused by the video card.  apparently, even without sound windows recognizes the architecture of a soundcard and thus wants to install drivers.    this was fixed by an obscure download from nvidia.  who woulda thunk?   not me!  this took the better part of 2 days to get it configured.  i've been spoiled by windows 7 :).

which brings me to my next point:  many of us here are making a significant investment in both time and money to get  AHP implemented.  i am mostly interested in AHP for automation (including my greenhouses).  i have also bought a lot of x10 security stuff to use with AHP, because i'm using ahp  as a backup/supplementary system.  unfortunately, AHP's reputation here precedes itself, and i am not relying on x10 for security.  good or bad, that's the it's very difficult to know what to do without taking a few lumps on the head with buying the wrong stuff, etc.  i've already spent around $1500 on security/automation in the last few weeks.  i pick x10 for this because it's cheap to add a lot of sensors/switches to the system.  if i spend another $1500 and it automates "well", then i've got my money out of x10 and i will consider it a big success.

so the proposition is this:  can i make AHP effective enough if i buy the various filters, etc?  i can't work with an 80% system.  it's got to be highly reliable.  can this be achieved?  i am going to try to dispose of my prejudices and give this thing a fair go. 

i am going to try to establish a reliability range, and use a system in that range.  one thing that interests me is that you could make multiple systems check each other with some redundancy throughout the day.  i am pondering running 3 or 4 systems simultaneously.  first, i have a lot of projects to automate, with the consequences of failure being quite expensive.    for example, if my greenhouse controls failed, my entire stock of plants could be lost in just a few hours.  splitting their control up between 4 computers reduces the risk of failure greatly.  so if one of the 4 systems failed, then the other 3 would catch that failure with checks (and notify me). 

how reliable is your x10 system?  what critical things do you automate with it? 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: AHP new installation. expectations?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 03:51:05 PM »

Good Phase Coupler/Repeater is a necessity in these modern days with lots of power line noise makers and signal suckers.
Many of us are using the JV Engineering XTB-IIR. It blasts a >10 volt signal back on the power lines.
http://jvde.us/xtb/XTB-IIR_description.htm

Can't remember do you have a CM19A with TM751 or CM15A Interface with your AHP Software.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:55:04 PM by Brian H »

medic5678

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 04:03:08 PM »

i have a cm19a, hoping to pick up a cm15a when (if) they come out.  i'd rather pay the hundred bucks and get a new one than pay a hundred and buy a used one "as is" off ebay.    i will check out your link :).  of course, i am very grateful for practical advice from people who've done it before.

ITguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 07:59:56 PM »

In addition to the almost-essential XTB-IIr, you might want to check out iHouse as a substitute for AHP.  Available as a free download from the iHouse forum at http://www.ihousehomeautomation.com  Works with all your x10 stuff and has a much more powerful macro language.

ITguy

medic5678

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 09:02:58 AM »

i have already picked up an XPCR.  if i really need an XTB-IIR, i'll get one. i have more money than time for this project.  should i get filters for my tv, computer, etc?   

my electric system runs from power pole with separate  breakers to house, shallow well and  outside toolshed.  i have 50 amps running from my house to my video studio.  all in all, i want to have an effective system spanning an area of about an acre.  i would much rather buy the things i need plus a few things i don't than mess around.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 12:56:18 PM »

Some filters made for X10 use. Maybe a good thing to have on hand.
Though mass filtering is usually not needed.
You should consider the load you want to filter.
The X10Pro XPPF is rated for five amps, but don't push it to five amps. Known to get warm.
The Smarthome 1626-10 FilterLinc is a ten amp filter.
The Act AF120 is a fifteen amp filter.
JV Digital Engineering makes great devices. I have not used their filter but I would say it is a well built device. From my experiences with their XTB-IIR and XTBM.
http://jvde.us/xtb/XTB-F10_description.htm
If you need wired in ones. We can find the numbers for you.

There is some good testing and troubleshooting information on these and other links.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://www.act-remote.com/PCC/uncle.htm
http://www.davehouston.net/
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 12:59:45 PM by Brian H »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 01:09:26 PM »

I have done some tests with various Coupler Repeaters. With a home grown test rig. Connected to the breaker box.
Using a XTBM X10 Signal Meter that reads 9.99 volts maximum.
An XPCR had 3.2 Volts output on one phase and 3.65 volts on the other phase at the breaker box.
An XTB-IIR read 9.99 volts so the signal was most likely over 10 volts as some of my outlets in the house even read 9.99 volts.
Can't say with 100% accuracy but you may need the extra strength signals to cover all the area you want to go.

We have had some reports of the XPCR when used with a CM15A. Sometimes can cause a power line signal firestorm.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 01:16:29 PM by Brian H »

medic5678

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 09:42:56 PM »

brian, i will draw out my electric system and post it for suggestions.  there is  no way i can run everything on one phase.  i am very grateful for the help i receive here, because otherwise i'd be groping in the dark and painstakingly reinventing the wheel.   it's just knowing WHAT to buy and where to place it :)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 06:25:59 AM »

Drawing maybe a big help.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.