Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: integrating a skylink security system with active home pro.  (Read 7107 times)

medic5678

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
integrating a skylink security system with active home pro.
« on: September 29, 2012, 06:08:00 AM »

i have bought a skylink 1000 security system.  i don't have a landline, only internet..  so it can't notify me if there's an alarm because it is set up to dial a list of numbers.   if i get a powerflash module, could i like the output on the skylink 1000 to ahp, and have it email me if the system is triggered?  i got the skylink because it has rolling codes and good user reviews.  i can put a small ups to power it in the event of a power failure (or someone turns off my power).

i'm looking for a creative way to make skylink trigger an email, preferably with the information that a specific sensor has been triggered.  if not reasonably easy, then i'll settle for just an email telling me the system has been triggered.  any suggestions, i'd be happy to listen! :).

running windows xp pro on a dedicated security computer.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: integrating a skylink security system with active home pro.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 06:25:06 AM »

If the Skylink can output a dry closure or low voltage signal when the alarm is triggered. It can be detected by a Powerflash and send an x10 power line signal to AHP.

One problem for you is finding a Powerflash module if you don't have one. It is almost impossible to find one now. After X10 closed their factory in China and only having some core products made by an outside factory.

Technically if you have a Dry Contact Closure and not a low voltage signal. An Insteon 2450 I/OLInc can be triggered by a contact closure and have an X10 address added to it.

Can't say how to have AHP use the signal as I am not using AHP at the present time.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 06:35:26 AM »

i have bought a skylink 1000 security system.  i don't have a landline, only internet..  so it can't notify me if there's an alarm because it is set up to dial a list of numbers.

Have you tried it with your VOIP setup? I use MagicJack+ and it has no problem handling devices that expect a landline.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

medic5678

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 12:20:03 PM »

i don't have voip at this time, though i suppose i *could* add it.  my cell is unlimited and pretty much i use it. 

hoping for a more elegant solution...

does the insteon 2450 (actually like a  2 way powerflash?) allow you to directly hook up third party devices such as alarm systems?  so that when the alarm is triggered it generates an x10 code indicating to the cm15a that it's been triggered?  then all i would need would be a cm15a AND an insteon 2450?, and it would be just as good as using a powerflash, and i could launch macros?

at 45 bucks, i can get a new one and it's not going to break me.  that's what the powerflashes are going on ebay for a used piece that you don't know is flaky or not.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 01:26:57 PM »

The key to using a 2450 is it is a dry contact sensor input only. Will not accept a low voltage DC or AC voltage like a Powerflash can.
If the console has a dry contact output. You can trigger a 2450 after programming in an X10 address.
The Users Manual has a link on the sales page.

medic5678

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 05:40:27 PM »

in discussing linking these other security systems with ahp via a powerflash... is one in any better a position with the x10 securilink http://www.x10.com/promotions/sc1200_cln_console_2012.html?EM#up3 ??  to my understanding, there is no interaction between these two types of x10 gear.... (the security and the home automation), so whether you had a securilink or a skylink or whatever external security system.. you'd be in the same boat using a powerflash.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 08:05:27 PM »

The SC1200 sends a cycle of On and Off commands to flash security lights on an alarm. So in theory that On and Off cycles could be received by a CM15A running AHP. The other CM19A being supplied right now would not receive power line signals as it can't.
One snag would be the console also flashes the lights one time to indicate it was armed.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 10:47:33 PM »

tuicemen wrote a piece of code that works with the cm15a and the sc(whatever) that watches for the lights to flash ( i think you can adjust the number of flashes in a given time frame) and triggers an event like an email.  Can't remember what he called it, but it's probably in the third party section of the forum.  It's been a few moons ago since I messed with it.

I think he later incorporated the app into the PC Companion plug-in pack which I think is available only to full users (purchased the software).  You might send him a PM, as I'm sure he can tell you way more about it.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

medic5678

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 09:40:26 AM »

i have tuicemen's software, but haven't really had the opportunity to find out everything it does.  he is obviously a very smart guy and i am looking forward to using his software. 

on the issue of making an alarm work.. i've found photoelectric beam sensors that put out spdt.  forgetting x10 for the minute, if the photoelectric  beam is broken and it alarms, i want it sent to my security computer... so the software would know which sensor was triggered and follow whatever orders i gave it.  what is the most reliable way to accomplish this?  let's assume that the photoelectric sensor is 500 feet away from the security computer....  spdt out.   what to do?

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 10:06:18 AM »

on the issue of making an alarm work.. i've found photoelectric beam sensors that put out spdt.  forgetting x10 for the minute, if the photoelectric  beam is broken and it alarms, i want it sent to my security computer... so the software would know which sensor was triggered and follow whatever orders i gave it.  what is the most reliable way to accomplish this?  let's assume that the photoelectric sensor is 500 feet away from the security computer....  spdt out.   what to do?

Here is what I would do.

I'd probably pull some cat3 riser (it's cheap 4 conductor phone wire) some distance from the electric eye beam.  I'm assuming (which is dangerous) that this will be for a driveway alarm.  Hook 2 of the wires to the N.O. contacts.  The wire is to get the signal a little closer to the computer (let's say to the house).  Two wires will be spares as cat3 riser isn't necessarily rated for direct bury. Hook the other ends of the wires to a powerflash, or compatible smart home unit in the house and set it for contact closure mode and to send a single address (say d1) to trip on contact.  I'd then set up a dummy switch in AHP.  I use X10 dispatcher to announce a wav file for the driveway alert.  PC Companion or BVC could also be used.
I personally gave my photo electric beam thingie to HA_Dave and went with a laser based trip wire for the driveway as I get better distance on the beam with it.  Got the kit from Ramsey.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

medic5678

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 08:59:02 AM »

thanks.  sounds like you're a satisfied user of x10. 

now comes the time for me to get the system us and running in some very basic way.  i'm building my security computer this week.   lots of work ahead but it's great to be able to talk to experienced users for input.   probably i've gone a bit overboard but i like the idea of redundant systems, and i can toy around with my laser stuff.

nobugme

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 09:43:12 PM »

I Had my ActiveHome Pro (CM15A) with both On Alert and Smart Micros plugins E-mail me when a security module was tripped. I was using the older Protector Plus (DS7000) and not the current SecuriLink (SC1200) products. If my understanding that SecuriLink is completely backwards compatible with Protector Plus, then the software combination I noted should still work! You will need to make a Smart Micro for every sensor you want to E-mail you when tripped. This works because both ActiveHome Pro with On Alert Plugin and Protector Plus read the outputs from the security modules. So they both can be triggered by the same event with no need of direct I/O exchanging between them.

As for the Photo Eye, I would extended the range as already noted, if it is needed. A door/Window sensor (DS10A) can be used in most places were your monitoring a circuit that should be closed. Just remove the magnet/reed switch set, and apply the wires to the contacts that would be closed when the sensor is in it's secured state.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 06:09:53 AM »

Yes all the X10 SecuriLinc line of sensors are interchangeable with the older ones from the DS7000 line of devices.
The SkyLink modules in the message subject header are not.

The newer DS12A can also be used with normally closed connections.
Has two separate zones in it. The internal magnetic switch and a second one on a terminal block for external use.
On Alert can process the DS12As messages just like it can the DS10As.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 07:10:24 AM by Brian H »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 09:11:57 AM »

The software/plug-in for PCC that handles the signals from a x10 SC2000 or DS7000 is X10SW
The old version found in the thirdparty software section only handles the DS7000

I've been holding off adding the code that the SDK sees from a door/window sensor to one of the PCC plug-ins.
The reason: not all seem to send this signal and thouse that do when the batteries are changed it could stop seen signal.
However there has been some interest in this of late by a few users, with enough interest I may add the code for PCC to act on code seen by the plug-in.
 >!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.