Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Remote Pan/Tilt Head  (Read 26702 times)

SkunkBayWeather

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Remote Pan/Tilt Head
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 03:26:37 PM »

Quick update.... Went home with the flu Wednesday afternoon.... I'll start playing with this over the weekend....  Just wanted you to know I wasn't ignoring all your suggestions....

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 03:43:32 PM »

Sorry to read you have the Flu.
No rush on tests. When you have a chance.

I may also be absent in a few days. Looks like hurricane Sandy will effect my life Monday and Tuesday.
If it goes a bit north of its presently predicted path. CT will again be in the bulls eye. Not that the outer wind and rain bands wouldn't be enough if it says to the south.

Gee just a year ago it was the Halloween Ice Storm and four days with no power. That was preceded a month or so earlier by hurricane Irene and a week with no power.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 03:47:14 PM by Brian H »

SkunkBayWeather

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2012, 09:42:39 PM »

Hey.... As you know.... You are talking to a weather guy.... Keep me posted on how you are doing back there.  Our local weather blogs and news are full of speculation about this event.  It's not Sandy any more.... It's Frankenstorm.....

Greg

SkunkBayWeather

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2012, 10:07:05 PM »

Brian,
I thought you might enjoy these links.  Your grief is big news around here.  Cliff Mass is the local "go to guy" for all weather events.  He is one of the directors of the University of Washington Department of Atmospheric Sciences.  Scott Sistek is a very talented blogger/meteorologist for KOMO-ABC.  I share content from my site with both of them on a regular basis ... (So that's why I want to get this X10 stuff going! )....  ;D 

Cliff Mass: http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-more-perfect-storm-will-strike.html
Scott Sistek: http://www.komonews.com/weather/blogs/scott/Seattles-showers-Friday-may-eventually-influence-Frankenstorm-next-week-175986491.html

Greg

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2012, 01:36:51 PM »

Thanks for the links.
It does look like it is going to be a storm for weather enthusiasts and weather forcasters to remember.
We have a very avid weather enthusiast, weatherman and WestCon Professor on our local TV station. Dr. Mel was known by many around the country.

Reverse 911 just gave me more details. Like expect hurricane winds starting around Midnight tonight and extended length power outages.

I see on the west coast they where feeling a Earthquake.

SkunkBayWeather

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2012, 06:49:00 PM »

Yes, there was an earthquake up on the north end of Queen Charlotte.  A little too far away for us to feel it.  I wish you well through this storm.  I am trying to stay abreast of it as much as I can.  I have 3 links on my page.  NOAA Hurricane Center, NOAA Animated Satellite (very cool) and I put together a site with multiple HD webcams on it.  www.SkunkBayWeather.com

It is at the top of the news back here.

Be Safe!
Greg

PS.  I'm going to go scratch my head some more with these pan/tilts now...  B:(

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2012, 06:51:19 PM »

Have fun with your tests.

SkunkBayWeather

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2012, 07:45:16 PM »

Well.... Now I think I have two problems.  I have one working correctly if all devices are plugged into the same outlet.  The other turns on all 4 cam positions.  The problem follows the power supply if I switch it from head to head, so this seems to point at an XM14A problem. 

Then if I plug the TM751 into another outlet, both turn together.... I suppose this is noise in the house circuit.

So.... I may have a bad power supply and a noisy house circuit.... B:(  Looks like I have more reading ahead of me.  The XM14A is an easy replacement.  The noise in the house circuit could be a deal breaker.....  :(

Greg

SkunkBayWeather

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2012, 08:31:41 PM »

I am pretty confident I have found a solution  >!.  After reading up on noise generators and signal signal suckers I knew I was doomed.... My house is noisier than the 12th man at the Seahawks Centurylink Field!  ::)  I started by counting UPS's... I got to 6 and stopped..... Then it dawned on me.  The remote RF signal from the CR14A reaches the mounting location at the other end of my house.  I used it for over a year and it worked fine.  I can plug the TM751 and the XM14A into the same outlet.  I just tested this and it works... Except the one with the suspect power supply.  So... I am going to order a new power supply and cross my fingers.  This is not an exotic installation by any means.  Any problems with this diagnosis and solution?

Greg

SkunkBayWeather

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2012, 11:31:15 PM »

I hope all is well for folks here on the east coast.  It's a conundrum for weather nuts like myself.  I love watching the power of nature and I hate watching the destruction it causes in peoples lives.....

Just a quick update.  After searching for a new power supply (XM14A) I found they were nonexistent.   So, I went ahead and bought another whole unit.  For 45 bucks.... I should have done this a long time ago....  I'll report back when I get the new unit.  I have a feeling that a LOT of diagnostic brain cells were wasted on a simple power supply....

Greg

SkunkBayWeather

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2012, 11:34:01 PM »

So.... Here is what I have  B:( B:( B:(  With 3 full units I can test easily and diagnose through the process of elimination.

1. My old pan/tilt head had a power supply that does not recognize house current and turns regardless of which cam is chosen on the remote.
2. The Older/New pan tilt head (I received about a month ago) functions  perfectly as long as all devices are plugged in to the same outlet.
3. The Pan/Tilt that I received today obviously was used with the house code set at I and unit set at 8.... It does not work... period.  It will not move the pan/tilt head except it will center at power up.  I tried the power supply on all three pan/tilts and remotes set at house code A device 1 with power cycles in between.

My patience is wearing thin.... I'll contact the dealer again and see if I can just get an XM14A power supply.  I am reluctant to send the whole thing back because the pan/tilt functions.

Greg

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2012, 11:09:56 AM »

If the one month old one will switch On and Off with the TM751 in the same outlet but not in other locations. Maybe a power line issue.
Original not powering On and Off does sound defective and before you got more Ninjas. You never would have noticed it.

If the third one only centers and does nothing else. I also agree it is defective.

SkunkBayWeather

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2012, 12:25:59 PM »

Yup... If I could get two more functioning XM14A's I think I would have 3 functioning Pan/Tilts as long as they are all plugged into the same outlet.  I contacted the dealer last night and they are already shipping a new one.  I think they are sending the whole package.  So, if that works, I'll try to find one more XM14A.

Thanks again Brian.  Was Sandy gentle on you?

Greg

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2012, 01:14:17 PM »

Compared to many others here in CT. and along the East Coast. Sandy was gentle for me and my relatives.
No power from 6:00 PM on Monday to 10:30 AM today.
No damage to my home. Just extra stuff all over the yard.
I finally got online as the cable is still out.
I can not believe what I saw in other states. I have relatives in New Jersey but finally got information. That where OK.

SkunkBayWeather

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2012, 01:56:15 PM »

Glad you're OK Brian.  The news from back there is very depressing.... Too many lives permanently impacted.... Very sad.

Back to my "trivial" problems by comparison.... I have done some more research this morning trying to find another XM14A.... Ouch... This whole unit has been discontinued.  I can't find just the power supply.  No wonder the one i received yesterday looked used.  I think they are probably piecing these things together.  Are there any reliable sources for an XM14A?  I have struck out.....

Greg
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.