Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newbie -- Power Supply?  (Read 1722 times)

Joe0412

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Newbie -- Power Supply?
« on: October 17, 2012, 05:50:51 AM »

Hi.  I'm new to the world of outdoor video surveillance.  I'm thinking of buying one AirSight outdoor wireless camera to mount outside my garage.  My question is:  does the camera need to be plugged in to an electrical outlet?  Hardwired?  How easy is the installation outdoors in terms of electrical wiring?   I would appreciate any insight. Joe
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 06:03:05 AM by Joe0412 »

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
Re: Newbie -- Power Supply?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 08:20:20 AM »

The camera will need to be plugged in, and you have 2 choices.

1) Plug the power supply in near the camera and run the power supply wire to the camera.
2) Use a PoE kit and run power through an Ethernet (network) cable. In this case you will run a network wire from your router to the camera. The camera's power supply will be plugged in to an outlet near the router.

In either case, the electrical wiring is not complicated as long as you have an easy way to run the wire to the camera.

pghjohn

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Newbie -- Power Supply?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 12:29:08 PM »

I have tried many, many times to get the POE to work without success. I am using all x-10 stuff and it does not work! It will not even work on a 5ft cable! that x-10 provides. anybody got any suggestions. And I have plugged the cat5 cables directly into the Actiontec Verizon router so I am not going through a switch although that does not work either..  HELP

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.