Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Too many questions, I'll start with this one.  (Read 5565 times)

Lightn8

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Too many questions, I'll start with this one.
« on: October 20, 2012, 04:34:39 AM »

Which ActiveHome interfaces do NOT require your computer to be on 24/7? Discontinued or other wise. ActiveHome or Pro.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Too many questions, I'll start with this one.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 06:03:08 AM »

Well Active Home is quite dated. I don't believe it was even updated for the new Daylight Savings Time dates. The CM11A is the serial port AH Interface. It has very limited storage but could standalone.

Active Home Pro. The CM15A can standalone. Has a power line transmitter and receiver. Along with an RF transmitter and receiver. Memory for downloaded timers and simple macros.
It has also been out of stock for a real long time but is supposed to be back soon.

The CM15K is a CM19A with a TM751 was also sold with AHP. It is not a good choice. No power line receiver and storage to run alone.
Waiting for the CM15A to be back in stock is the best choice.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 06:44:48 AM by Brian H »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 10:33:43 AM »

Even with the many great features of the CM15A... at least all that have sold to date... still require a connection to a running PC for many of the features (like the home security). (It would be nice to see an interface with wifi.... or at least BlueTooth).

But at this time... I am not sure that any interface has enough processor or connectivity to replace what a running PC can do. Like everyone else... I had concerns about running a PC 24/7. But I made that commitment over five years ago... and have never regretted the decision. I believe the cost of running a PC for Home Automation is outweighted by the safety and convenience of great Home Automation.

I would like to see X10 write software that could allow a tablet to drive an interface of some sort. That could give us the best of all worlds... as the tablet could also be used as a touchscreen interface.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Lightn8

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 12:38:22 PM »

Quite some time ago I had a PC running 24/7, even had it as my answering machine. I'm not against the idea. I just don't have a computer that stays at the house. I, my wife and both kids all have laptops. And mine is actually company owned. 12+ years ago I bought a decent size starter system. Dabbled in the program for a little while and then had to move and raise 2 kids. (positive thing, I love my kids) Now I have a NEW (to me)house and I'm getting my toys back out. I even have a cm11a, but can't find the software or serial cable and wouldn't be able to connect a serial cable to my laptop if I did. I really love the idea of home automation but I've always figured with it's slow speed(120bps?) that home security isn't it's forte. I have a million more questions, but that's all for now. You will see a lot of me in the future. Now that I'm reconnected, I plan on being automated for life! N8

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 01:59:14 PM »

I even have a cm11a, but can't find the software or serial cable and wouldn't be able to connect a serial cable to my laptop if I did.

It's easy enough to make a cable - the pinout is given in the documentation.

And, USB-to-Serial adapters are readily available.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 02:09:11 PM »

I have a million more questions, but that's all for now.
You mean there was a question in there? What was it?
A lot of X10 users also use X10 for security, whether in conjunction with with a seperate security system, or using the home automation software only.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Lightn8

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 09:34:45 PM »

You've got me there Dave, How about this one? Since X-10 operates during the zero crossing point of the AC waveform, does that mean that x-10 maxes out at 120bps or can multiple bits be sent during each zero cross? So if 120 isn't max what is the max speed?
N8

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 12:24:25 AM »

Since X-10 operates during the zero crossing point of the AC waveform, does that mean that x-10 maxes out at 120bps or can multiple bits be sent during each zero cross? So if 120 isn't max what is the max speed?

Actually, it does quite a bit slower than that.  For standard commands it takes 25 cycles for 9 actual data bits, allowing for the start pattern, redundancy, and inter-command gap.  You may want to read the X10 protocol document.  There is a copy available on my website:  http://jvde.us/info/X10_protocol.pdf

Follow-up:  Extended commands do somewhat better.  They can send 29 bits in just over a second when sent as a doublet.  That includes the house code, unit code, command code, and 16 bits of extended data.

Jeff
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:10:54 AM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 07:00:54 AM »

FWIW a module command takes almost one second (with wind speed and user anticipation influecing that wait.   rofl ) I have a motion sensor turning on some stairway lighting, and I get half way down the stairs before the lights come on...and I am coupling the RF command directly to the automation computer, i.e. not via a transceiver)

X10 is "SBC" (Slow But Cheap).

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 07:10:16 AM »

... and I get half way down the stairs before the lights come on...
Try walking more slowly ;)

Lightn8

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 07:18:15 PM »

... and I get half way down the stairs before the lights come on...
Yeah Dave, you could get hurt walking down the stairs in the dark.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 08:21:40 PM »

Gee whiz Noam,  Wife calls me "geezer" now, which provides a relative indication of the speed of X10.  :D

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 08:24:45 PM »

Yeah Dave, you could get hurt walking down the stairs in the dark.
;)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.