Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: how I made my cm15 & sc1200 solid on ds10s  (Read 5621 times)

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
how I made my cm15 & sc1200 solid on ds10s
« on: April 03, 2012, 07:15:28 AM »

A tad of history first.  For the last few years, here in Dayton, OH (WPAFB?) I have gone thru periodic times of approx 3 weeks of solid ds10 coverage to my security consoles (ds7000s now multiple sc1200  then 1 week of no coverage to any - even ones only 15' ft away.  Garage door openers also stop working more than 10' distance, and even plain motion sensors stop that are otherwises rock solid. 

The buildings with the alarm were wired all over with cat5 ethernet cable that is no longer used with the advent of good wireless ethernet (works always).  So I finally hardwired all DS10 switches to a panel 3' from the sc1200 using that existing wiring.  5 door switches per cat5 cable. 

This has worked thru all periods of time now for 2 months.  Even the cm15 now has solid security ds10s that I can now count on 100% of the time (I left the 30' high external coaxial 1/4 wave antenna hooked up to it anyway).

Thought it might be useful for others who have fought signal strength issues to see another alternative....

EricInDayton

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: how I made my cm15 & sc1200 solid on ds10s
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 11:55:47 AM »

Very interesting.  My wife and I live in Riverside (basically a suburb of Dayton, OH) - just north of Area B and west of Area A of WPAFB.  We're having a lot of signal issues too.  Our garage door remote gives us fits and the SC1200 kit I just bought is having all kinds of trouble.  Half the house sensors work fine - others on the opposite side of the house are intermittent - some I just can't get to work at all.  My wifi in the house works just fine though.  I wonder if there is RF interference coming from the base or something else nearby???  I've even tried the 18in passive antenna wire trick that has worked for others in these forums - but doesn't seem to make a difference in my setup.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 12:20:33 PM »

There were stories 8-10 years back about problems like these for people living near Naval Air Stations and Air Force bases.

Some of the frequencies used by the military are close to the 310MHz used by X10. Also, most X10 RF receivers are superregenerative which can be overwhelmed by any strong RF signal - including the 120kHz PLC being radiated from the powerlines.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

mike

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 02:24:12 PM »

Just for f-up...  it has been over a year now that I hardwired my DS10's to within 1' for half of em and across the 12' room for the rest, of the SC1200.  It has worked 100% since.

This does NOT help the garage door opener not working on occassion, but it seems this is now a random event rather than every 3 weeks like clockwork anymore.....  I am still convinced it is a hi power rf field issue from WPAFB.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 02:44:02 PM »

I am still convinced it is a hi power rf field issue from WPAFB.
Yes! It's coming from hanger 18 when they try to start the sub warp engines.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 09:45:08 PM »

I am still convinced it is a hi power rf field issue from WPAFB.
Yes! It's coming from hanger 18 when they try to start the sub warp engines.

Believe that and you can beam up to the Enterprise.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

mike

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 07:13:53 AM »

Dave, sub warp = impulse power, which does not generate rf noise.  It MAY be when they turn on the warp engines tho come to think of it....

Dan, I actually plan to join the crew on May 17th  :) (next star trek movie comes to a theatre near you)

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 09:19:14 AM »

Dave, sub warp = impulse power, which does not generate rf noise.  It MAY be when they turn on the warp engines tho come to think of it....
OK, I was thinking the spark plugs in the impulse starting circuit generated a lot of RF. I know they are shielded, but thought maybe the techs had the panels open and that is what was knocking your X10 out.  But starting the warp engines in the hanger would make kind of a mess of things, no?

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 07:54:55 PM »

All this talk about warp engines is ridiculous...

I had a similar RF issue a couple of years ago (the nearest AFB is about 6 miles as the crow flies), and I have it on good authority* that the main cause of the noise that blocks the RF signals from X10, ADT wireless alarm systems and garage door openers is the alien mothercraft monitoring the base using their stealth shield and the local ZOT (zombie obliteration team) using their high frequency zombie deterrent ray.

All of these things can easily be verified by checking your your local cemetary for zombies (if there are no zombies then that proves the HFZDR worked very recently), and by scanning the skies for alien motherships (if you cannot see them then it's obvious that their stealth shield is working.

It is quite clear to me that the lead-lined beanie I wear at all times has protected me from all these HF problems and my sanity is completely unaffected.

* I know it to be true because I invented the theory all by my own self :)
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 08:32:04 PM »

Wow, I did not know this. Thank you bees!
BTW where did you get your beanie? I have just been using foil and the krinkles poke my head.

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 11:19:19 PM »

BTW where did you get your beanie?

Special order from the king of the Leprechauns. Just make your wish in the usual way and be sure to include your head size (the only thing more uncomfortable than a poorly sized lead-lined beanie, and that's poorly sized lead-lined underpants.)

If you are worthy, it will come ;)
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 05:55:42 AM »

This was just one of several such articles from various parts of the country.
There were complaints from X10 users also. Many US garage door openers use frequencies in the 300-325MHz range.

IIRC, it was due to some new emergency communications gear prompted by 9/11.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

mike

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 12:52:18 PM »

Someone please send Tom Farley & Mark vander Hoek each a lead lined beanie!  It may also help if preformed in pyramid shape.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.