Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I'm gonna say it: bring back the IR543!  (Read 17628 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: I'm gonna say it: bring back the IR543!
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 02:26:59 PM »

The IR543 was one of the first controllers from X10, dating back some 30+ years. If they decided to discontinue it, it's unlikely that you will persuade them otherwise.

You might have better luck convincing Marmitek to make a 120V version of their European model (which works with all housecodes).
$0.02
I agree with Dave and Brian 100%. X10 cancelled the IR543 due to low sales, long before their factory shut down. One of the reasons is there are other ways of skinning this cat. Also the IR543 had some problems when under flourescent lighting and I don't think X10 wanted to spend the engineering time to fix.
So I also do not think we will ever see another X10 made IR543. 

However I think dhouston has made a great suggestion about Marmitek. It would not be all that difficult to make Marmitek work on our power standards. My guess is frequency, not voltage would be the most difficult adaption.

In fact I am surprised Marmitek did not try and fill some of the X10 void when X10 factory shut down. Is Marmitek a completely independant company? Some of their products have a distinctive X10 look. Are companies connected?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 02:57:02 PM »

There is also another independent company in China Marmitek mentioned if they ran out of modules.
http://x10bus.com/

Overseas voltages and RF frequencies. Are the only ones mentioned at present.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 03:47:13 PM »

Is Marmitek a completely independant company? Some of their products have a distinctive X10 look. Are companies connected?

I think (but do not know) they are independent as there is also an X10 Europe.

X10 Europe has the IR7243W which is all housecodes.

Marmitek has the IRRF7243, also all housecodes, which does both IR and RF but the latter is 433.92MHz. 50/60Hz is only a factor with 3 phase systems.

I believe all of them have problems with fluorescents, CFLs and plasma screens. it just dawned on me that the proliferation of CFLs and their switching supplies might be why Vishay discontinued a wideband IR receiver that handled ~36-56kHz carriers - I hadn't made that connection 'til now.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 03:53:31 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 08:37:51 AM »

Does anyone know anything about this device?

There's no documentation at that link but it appears to learn IR codes and allow assigning X10 PLC codes to them. Of course, it uses the PSC05 which is also discontinued so if the one that comes with it fails...
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 12:27:28 PM »

Looks interesting.

You can always use the XTB-523 from JV Engineering for the PSC05 and even get a stronger power line signal.
http://jvde.us//xtb/XTB-523_description.htm
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:29:48 PM by Brian H »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 08:34:47 PM »

I note the IR543 predates my use of it since I began using X10 in the middle 1980's and the IR543  wasn't available then.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 10:18:39 PM »

There was a CircuitCellarInk article about it (in 1979 if memory serves). The article detailed the X10 IR protocol. I've a copy but it may be on a PC that I retired. I liberated a drawing from it that I used in...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 10:39:36 PM by dhouston »

sroberts

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: I'm gonna say it: forget the IR543!
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 04:23:14 PM »

I have to agree on bringing it back. Everybody is looking for one (including myself). Anybody have any ideas on where to get one?? Or better yet how do we convince them to put it back into production?

I say forget the IR543 - they were not particularly well made and alternative devices are readily available.  I replaced a few components that had sweated it a good bit evidenced by the discoloration on the circuit board on my IR543 but wasn't able to revive it.  I think those folks paying $50+ for a used IR543 on ebay are nuts!

Steve

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: I'm gonna say it: forget the IR543!
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 09:17:27 PM »

I have to agree on bringing it back. Everybody is looking for one (including myself). Anybody have any ideas on where to get one?? Or better yet how do we convince them to put it back into production?

I say forget the IR543 - they were not particularly well made and alternative devices are readily available.  I replaced a few components that had sweated it a good bit evidenced by the discoloration on the circuit board on my IR543 but wasn't able to revive it.  I think those folks paying $50+ for a used IR543 on ebay are nuts!

Steve

I agree 100%
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.