Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Two identical Motorola DCX3501 Cable box operate separately with X10 remote  (Read 7797 times)

Stumpotto

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I have a setup where I have two identical Motorola DCX3501 DVR's from Charter. With the remote they send with them you can not separate the two DVR's. If I change channel on one the oither changes also. TIVO has the ability to switch from cable box 1 to cable box 2 with a switch on the remote. Does anyone have any ideas on this matter? I have been searching for awhile. I have found the Harmony 890 remote in conjunction with their IR extender, wil work. The IR extender gets signal from remote. The extender has 4 ir outlets you might say.  You can associate each device separately on the IR extender allowing you to control each cable DVR separately.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139

Are the two DVRs co-located? If not, then the Motorola remote must be RF and not IR. Isolating RF will be a problem.

If they are co-located, then the Harmony system should work if you can shield the two DVR  IR windows so only the output of the proper IR extender is seen by the proper DVR. (Black tape the extender transmitter to the window?)
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Stumpotto

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Both of the DVR's are actually sitting side x side  in same cabinet. According to what I have been reading about the Harmony 890, it uses RF frequency to send signal to the wireless IR extender. The extender has four (4) emitter ports. You can program each of the ports to have a separate address you could say. That way any signal coming to the extender is sent only to the device that has the same address . That is how I  I have interperted the info I have read. The 890 remote is rather pricey and I was wondering is there another way to accompolish the same thing.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.