Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: CM15A not dimming properly  (Read 11388 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: CM15A not dimming properly
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2012, 07:16:23 AM »

OP said they where using AHP 3.236.
Not sure if update to 3.318 was done at some point.

Tom G.

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2012, 07:56:10 PM »

I want to update you guys on the latest. I was digging around in my box of X10 stuff and I found a *BRAND NEW* CM15A still in its box. I think I ordered this a a spare a couple years back. I put this new CM15A in place, downloaded to it, and guess what - everything works perfect. Just like it has for years, with all the repeaters, noise filters and everything in place.

I am not X10 expert, just a very long time user. The only thing I can say is that both of my other CM15A units must have gone bad. I'm reliieved to know I don't have to switch to anyting else. I hope X10 releases the CM15A again so I can pick up another back up unit or two.

This is consistent with my experiences with the CM15A. I have had about 6 of them. They only last a couple years, and then they crap out. I appreciate everyone's advice.

Tom G.

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2012, 09:35:24 AM »

Hi there!
I haven't got exactly the same problem but something close to it. I have two outside lamps that I have set to dim to 19%,higher than that blinds IP cameras. Both worked fine for a year or so but then one stopped dimming. I can manually dim it from the switch and iPhone but not with CM15A timer.
However have another interesting phenomena on the third lamp. It was connected to a two way lamp module. Worked fine for about two years and then stopped. After replugging, it worked for a day. Then replaced it with  465 and that worked for couple of days.
I don't know why, I decided to dim it to 45%. Now it's been working for a month or more. It turns on/off with a remote but to turn it on with iPhone, first It goes to 49% and stays there then have to press bright and it comes on. Slider goes to 52%. Turning off is just a touch on off.

Why it does this have no clue but it works.

May be someone has a clue to what is going on.

Have a great day you all.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2012, 09:44:26 AM »

Is the LM465 Soft Start where it ramps On and Off?
Did you redefine the old LM14A Two Way to a LM465?
What version AHP are you using?
What X10 module is controlling the outside lights?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 09:50:35 AM by Brian H »

K7sparky

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2014, 06:38:18 PM »

Yep this is an OOOOOLD topic, but I have not seen this aspect delved into.

I too go back to BSR X10 and control programs for the "latest computers" Z80 base with home built computer interfaces.

I good guess on your "flakey controller" is the power supply filter cap has gone north.

My CM15A is the only X10 controller I have not had to replace the filter cap in and it is probably ready for it by now.

Also, a bunch of OLD modules died and needed the filter caps replaced to revive over the years.  Just look at the service hours > on 24 - 7 for YEARS.

I have been learking for awhile and waited weeks for the email to confirm after I tried to register.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2014, 07:23:54 PM »

I had an RR501 get flaky. In my case the Zener Diode in the module. Got so Hot the PCB turned dark brown. The solder got dull and scaly.
I replaced it with two in series that added up to the original value. So each one was much cooler and re soldered the connections. Also changed the main filter cap while I was in there. Has been 100% for at least a few years since I did the fix.

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2014, 07:56:20 PM »

@Brian H, I'm adding that to my notes and giving you a "Helpful" for that!  :)%

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2014, 09:52:05 AM »

The schematic for the CM15A is on the FCC Database web site.
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm
Grantee:B4S
Product Code:CM15A
In the detail tab.

X10 left four small bypass caps across the power supply filter caps and digital ICs.
Here is a modified schematic showing the added caps in Red. Some found the added caps made the CM15A much more stable.
http://www.davehouston.net/CM15A.pdf
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:55:52 AM by Brian H »
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.