Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Security software  (Read 3061 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Security software
« on: November 05, 2012, 11:58:43 AM »

I've been thinking about installing a security system in our house since we moved in a couple years back.  Last year we had a break in and I've been more serious about finding the right solution since.  My property is completely isolated from the road and neighbors, so there's no chance anyone would see anything going on (good for privacy, bad for neighborhood watch I suppose).  I had a professional system installed at my old house, but was never really that satisfied with it and it cost more than I think they benefited us.

This property is far enough away from the county sheriff that if something were detected by a monitoring company, the thief would be long gone before help arrived.  What I want to do is install some kind of video system that can record activity and alert my if it's something out of what I consider normal.  Since I have an Android phone now, seems like a no-brainer to set up a couple IP/wireless cameras and use some sort of PC software on my HA server to monitor motion out of the ordinary.

Anyone have any suggestions for software to look into and/or experience with any cameras?  I know X10 has some that would probably work, but I don't know if they are the best way to go for this setup or if something else would be better.  I don't think I want to go with the AHP software since it doesn't look like it will do what I want.  iSPY Connect looks like a nice product that's open source, but they seem to charge for some features that I may or may not need.  It does look really close to what I'm interested in though.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.