Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Money no object....  (Read 3215 times)

koalamotorsport

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Money no object....
« on: November 21, 2012, 10:33:13 PM »

Lets say you wake up one morning and decide to move your house out of the 1970's, and into the current state of technology.

Money is not an object, so you can peel out all your antique X10 crap and replace it with something that actually works.   

What would you buy?

I'm so tired of dealing with this garbage that I'm hunting for suggestions, even if it means pulling out more than 80 light fixtures to get rid of X10.

Brett

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Money no object....
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 06:32:10 AM »

I'd put in a *wired* system (obviously, wireless remotes couldn't be wired), where every device has a secondary set of low voltage wires running back to a central controller. *THAT* should knock out most of the signal transmission issues.
Custom-written software for the controller (with a developer on standby to make changes as needed) would allow me to do whatever I wanted with it.

Of course, with unlimited money, I'd probably just buy Smarthome (the entire company), and put their engineers to work doing my bidding.... -:)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 06:34:08 AM by Noam »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 06:37:12 AM »

Here is some information on varied automation systems.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgHb6Gq4ol2CcHEyUzhmdnUySlhFdjFOZTlUSVFoZEE&hl=en#gid=0

One thing to take into consideration.
Do you have a real neutral power connection in the electrical boxes where your automation modules will go?
Many use a neutral power connection. X10s stole power through the load and worked in switch loop wiring.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 07:00:16 AM »

If money were no object, I'd have scantily clad young ladies stationed at each switch who would respond to voice commands.

Or, I'd pick one of the hardwired systems listed at...
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 09:57:45 AM »

Yes, if money was no object I'd go hardwired too.  I opted for that with our security system - all hidden sensors and wiring.

One thing to consider with a hardwired system is its longevity.  Years ago GE offered a hardwired system.  It was eventually discontinued, and I understand difficult to find replacement components today.

So if you choose a hardwired system, look for one that is manufactured by more than one company.  X10 was like that years ago, but several of the manufactures have jumped ship, and some of the devices have become difficult to find.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 10:23:12 AM »

One thing to consider with a hardwired system is its longevity.  Years ago GE offered a hardwired system.  It was eventually discontinued, and I understand difficult to find replacement components today.

IIRC, there are 2-3 companies (CentraLite, LiteTouch, TouchPLate) that date from the '50s (when GE introduced their system) and are still around, the difference being that this is their sole or main business.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 12:50:37 PM »

You might not be able to find replacement components, but at least the already-installed wiring *should* be re-usable if you switch to a new system.

Noam

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 12:51:43 PM »

If money were no object, I'd have scantily clad young ladies stationed at each switch who would respond to voice commands.

You might need some of them to be dressed warmly, especially for outdoor devices during the winter. ;-)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 01:41:29 PM »

I'm going to play this from the "money is no object, but rebuilding my house is" angle.

I would go with Z-Wave. It seems to have the biggest backing/acceptance from control manufacturers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-Wave
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.