Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to X10 and don't know what to search for  (Read 5772 times)

georgiejr

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
New to X10 and don't know what to search for
« on: December 02, 2012, 10:50:55 AM »

Hi,

I am very interested in just the wireless camera setup for indoors and outdoors (maybe 3 inside and 2 outdoors).  Would like colored and also in low light.  Would it be possbile to record on to pc the input foods coming from the camera?

I don't exactly know that should comprise this kind of setup.  I currently have a network with a wireless router and currently only computers, phones and tablets, and VOIP are being used with the router.

Also, would like web access, either by pc, android tablet and phone.

I am also in a budget, so whatever configuration you may suggest should satisfy the above and I can just add to it as funds become available.

Please advise and thank you.

richy2

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Re: New to X10 and don't know what to search for
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 02:27:51 PM »

You can read each camera details / costs ( one cam records right on the cam with a sd card) then go to the x10 page, support link and click manuals and read the setup(s) of each camera.

I ciurrently have a recert like new PTZ outdoor wireless x10 camera a week now and it has worked flawlessly. I have even purchased a small external mic and it worked great to hear people outdoors.

I have been able to view on my google nexus phone fine.

I also purchased a off brand ( yeahpad ) name not made in usa tablet pc ( installed broswer didn't work with camera) and got the camera to be viewed on google chrome ( firefox didn't work ).

How you want to view/control your cameras is another consideration to take into account.

NOTE: I have had the old x10 day/night camera with pan/tilt add-on and they have been on 24hours for the past 8years in NEW YORK CITY weather.
snowstorms, rain and being in the sun from sun up to sun down and they have worked flawlessly. Only reason i mention is some people may have had bad experiences from x10.... I am not one of them ( so far ) and would recommend them.

Bauerlein44

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 03:40:56 PM »

I am somewhat new to home automation myself. If you have budget concerns, look hard at X-10. It is the least expensive home automation protocol. There are steps you can take to improve the reliability of your X10 circuit. Check out jvde.us. for X10 information. That site is Jeff Volp. Jeff helped me immensely setting up and troubleshooting my X10 circuit.
     For what it's worth, if you are in a position where you have to keep the costs down, I have a great deal of X10 gear that I have accumulated that I am selling. X10, Leviton, Smarthome. Troubleshooting tools also. Color cameras  and addressable power supplies and bases.
     If that interests you, hit me up. And if you have any other questions that maybe I can help you with, let me know.   Mike

kenrad

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 09:09:10 PM »

Hi,

I am very interested in just the wireless camera setup for indoors and outdoors (maybe 3 inside and 2 outdoors).  Would like colored and also in low light.  Would it be possbile to record on to pc the input foods coming from the camera?

I don't exactly know that should comprise this kind of setup.  I currently have a network with a wireless router and currently only computers, phones and tablets, and VOIP are being used with the router.

Also, would like web access, either by pc, android tablet and phone.

I am also in a budget, so whatever configuration you may suggest should satisfy the above and I can just add to it as funds become available.

Please advise and thank you.

As for cameras the x10 cams i have found to be poor quality, if I were you I would look into Ipcams and possibly BlueIris for software.  I have an extensive Ha setup with video surveillance running 10 IP cams and blueiris, Ihouse, and PCC.  Blueiris is very stable and an amazing software for less than $50

Check it out

>! Ken

Bauerlein44

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »

I agree with Ken. I recently went from X10 2.4GHz Wireless Cameras to IP Cameras, specifically the Foscam FI 8910W. I installed gigabit speed Ethernet throughout my house and that's what I plug the cameras into. Quality is definitely superior to the X10 wireless setup. I did look at Blue Iris and at the time, the software was kinda over my head and there was too much I did not understand. I may go back and look at Blue Iris now that I have learned a little bit. For me, the X10 cameras were okay for many years but there is a noticeable improvement with the hard-wired IP cameras. Good luck.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 04:33:39 PM »

For me, the X10 cameras were okay for many years but there is a noticeable improvement with the hard-wired IP cameras.
I doubt that this is true just for you. Hard wired will always be better than wireless. Wireless is just hugely more easy to install. There are always tradeoffs. Unfortunately al lot of new users buy wireless expecting the clairity they see at the 7-11, their bank, the Walmart front entry monitor, etc.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Bauerlein44

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 11:16:46 AM »

That's very accurate. I am an old Marine Corps Communications guy and it was drummed into us that wired was ALWAYS superior to wireless. Truthfully, it was ALOT of work installing the Ethernet throughout my house. But the payoff is great. I dropped off RJ45's all over my house and I am starting to utilize them.
     As far as the X10 wireless cameras, they did serve a purpose for me for a number of years and they were fine. My income level at the time kinda dictated my choice of technology.
     You know....on the whole wired vs. wireless deal, another factor in favor of wired has always been speed. I just got a new router, the ASUS RT66AC and it is based on the new wireless standard of 802.11ac. There are no 802.11ac devices out yet but supposedly, this thing is capable of 1.35GBs. That is faster than Gigabit speed Ethernet.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.