Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Programmable WiFi/ZigBee LED light bulb  (Read 16251 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: Programmable WiFi/ZigBee LED light bulb
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 04:39:49 PM »

There are at least two more players introducing wireless LED lighting systems. Looks like a trend.
Dan Lawrence will not like some of the things in the second article.  rofl
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Johanvdk

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 05:08:31 AM »

we've got Hue!!!

www.meethue.com/

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 07:29:33 AM »

I don't have or want a smart phone.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 11:00:38 PM »

Wifi is where it's at!  ... or where it is expected to be at... at some near-future time. I recently setup a new HD Home Theater (for someone else). I placed the Blueray, Audio (receiver-amp), and cable box in an equipment room with a Logitech Harmony Link. Then I setup two iphones, one ipad, and an itouch to control the theater... using the home wifi network, thier own apple devices, and the Logitech Harmony Link.

I use a android tablet at my house (like the ones sold by X10 at one time) and have set it up to view my security cameras. I know my wifes ipad is much more useable for much of what I'd like to do. But I haven't decided to take that step... yet.

As the apps and wifi devices expand (if that indeed does happen)... it could be awesome. Our smartphones could replace all our remote controls... even replace the need for IR remotes. With wifi locks the smartphone can replace our keys. The phones can replace coupons as stores can scan downloaded or emailed bar or QR codes right on the phone. These things can even generate creditcard or bank account information and replace wallets.

But.... I am still a little ticked that there isn't going to be any flying cars. I really thought the future would have flying cars.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

IPS

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 05:31:07 AM »

HA Dave
"But.... I am still a little ticked that there isn't going to be any flying cars. I really thought the future would have flying cars".

In time my dear fellow your wish will come true. Just wait a bit longer.

IPS

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 07:23:58 AM »

Considering the nuts on the roads now, Flying cars would be total craziness.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 07:28:46 AM »

But.... I am still a little ticked that there isn't going to be any flying cars. I really thought the future would have flying cars.

Sorry to make you wrong Dave...

www.terrafugia.com
http://vimeo.com/15477279

;D
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 04:37:37 PM »

It predated his show.
But that should be categorized as WhyFly not WiFi.  ;D

And, while not WiFi, Insteon has a dimmable LED light bulb with all the electronics (PLC & RF) in the base. However, I'd be a bit leery of spending $30 on a bulb given their track record on quality.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

HA Dave

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 05:58:12 PM »

And, while not WiFi, Insteon has a dimmable LED light bulb with all the electronics (PLC & RF) in the base. However, I'd be a bit leery of spending $30 on a bulb given their track record on quality.
http://www.smarthome.com/2672-222/INSTEON-LED-Bulb/p.aspx

The previous bulb required a "device" for the wifi part as well. This INSTEON bulb... if I understand it correctly... requires the INSTEON hub... For tablet/phone/wifi control.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 08:06:36 PM »

The previous bulb required a "device" for the wifi part as well. This INSTEON bulb... if I understand it correctly... requires the INSTEON hub... For tablet/phone/wifi control.
The first WiFi device (lifx) in this thread only needed WiFi for the initial setup and used Bluetooth after that for operation.

I haven't dug deeply into the details on the Insteon bulb but think you would need the hub only for remote connections. Local control can be done with their handheld remote or with their PC interfaces (functionally equivalent to CM11/CM15). There's a link to the user manual on the page I referenced. Brian is much more current than am I on Insteon although I'll need to soon dig into it again as the hardware I've been working on should be released in early 2013.

On other WiFi operated devices it may be possible to control them from any handheld tablet, phone etc. using peer-to-peer and eliminating the need for a hub or router.

HA Dave

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 11:17:36 PM »

........... Brian is much more current than am I on Insteon although I'll need to soon dig into it again as the hardware I've been working on should be released in early 2013.

That looks AWESOME!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 05:18:08 AM »

That looks AWESOME!

Thanks.

Based on quotes from the Chinese company that will build them, the price will be attractive as well. While the final decision on pricing will be made by the distributor I'm working with (whose prices are aggressive), I'm confident these will be very affordable and deliver maximum bang for the buck. 
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.