Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Flooding  (Read 14513 times)

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Flooding
« on: December 03, 2012, 02:29:54 PM »

Does anyone know where I can get instructions for how to use x10dispatcher to alert me if my DS7000 gets "flooded"?

I've also been considering purchasing the newer Securilink or Skylink,  but I'm not sure if they're susceptible to the same flooding issue as the DS7000. Anyone know?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:54:59 PM by birdzeye »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Flooding
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 05:28:28 PM »

Does anyone know where I can get instructions for how to use x10dispatcher to alert me if my DS7000 gets "flooded"?

I've also been considering purchasing the newer Securilink or Skylink,  but I'm not sure if they're susceptible to the same flooding issue as the DS7000. Anyone know?
Flooding? Care to explain? Or do you live in NY, NJ, New Oleans, etc.   :'

If you might be talking about a repeater fire storm, or repeater ping pong, I am not aware that the DS7000 could exhibit that problem.

Or are you looking for a way to confirm a remote DS7000 is working?

If anyone else understands what is meant here, I'm sorry, I will jump out.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 05:34:07 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

birdzeye

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 07:45:55 PM »

Flooding? Care to explain?

Dave, flooding is that thing you can do with a palmpad remote to override the DS7000's ability to detect when one of its sensors has been triggered. Pressing an ON button continuously on the palmpad will allow you to bypass the DS7000 alarm system and get into the house undetected. I'm surprised you haven't heard about this, unless of course I used the wrong terminology with "flooding". Anyways, the x10 dispatcher program was apparently able to alert you whenever this "flooding" thing was happening, by email I think.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:13:21 PM »

"Flooding" I had not heard of. I have heard of "swamping" which is two radio transmitters on same frequency and one will "swamp out" the other. "A rose by any other name...."

I did not know this was a problem. By that I mean, the burgler would have to know you have X10 security. So now you create a security system for the securinty system.  :'

Anywho, I would think a way of detecting a continous stream of X10 commands would be a way of detecting flooding.

Having said that, I was working with a friend who helped his neighbor put in a system that he was very impressed with. Excellent transmission range > 200ft. Monitored system, 12 wired sensors and 4 motion sensors for $250 - $280 as i recall. I am trying to contact him for the name of the system because there are way too many postings on this forum about SC1200 problems. If I get it, I will PM you the name of the system if you want it.

birdzeye

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 08:24:02 PM »

OK that'd be great. But what about Skylink---have there been many complaints about it?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 08:57:59 PM »

I originaly the X10dispatcher author add the flood detection after postings here raised the concern.
It has been a while since I ran X10dispatcher but from what I remember the Flood detection was fairly easy to set up.
It just required one to input a time interval.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

birdzeye

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 07:40:30 AM »

I originaly the X10dispatcher author add the flood detection after postings here raised the concern.
It has been a while since I ran X10dispatcher but from what I remember the Flood detection was fairly easy to set up.
It just required one to input a time interval.
 >!

Tuicemen could you elaborate on that a little bit more? I have absolutely no idea of how to set up x10dispatcher other than I'm able to download and install the program. Other than that I don't get it at all.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 08:03:03 AM »

It has been years since I used X10dispatch.
I stopped using it soon after the developer stopped supporting it.
I believe Knightrider still uses it. A PM to him would most likely be more helpful.
I'd have to download and install it just to jog my memory, even then it would take me a while to find the exact location of the setting for the flood stop.
A few screen shots may help me  if your PMs to Knighrider aren't any help.

As dave w pointed out as did the other threads on this subject " the burgler would have to know you have X10 security"
Every system has its weekness making public what your using isn't recommended.
 >!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 08:44:04 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

birdzeye

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 08:13:21 AM »

Tuicemen do you know anything about SkyLink Security? Does it have that same "flooding" thing that can happen? Does it work OK?

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 08:25:48 AM »

Theoretically, any system with sensors that communicate via RF and employs handheld remotes would be vulnerable.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 08:49:14 AM »

As dhouston stated, any system that has RF capabilities is vulnerable.
However one would have to know the RF band used to communicate.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 08:59:20 AM »

The Skylink SC-1000-W Security System Kit uses a different RF frequency and message protocol than an X10 system does.
I would imagine if someone knew what you had. It maybe able to be jammed.
I don't know if it has a jam detected feature and since it uses RF from the SC-001 Console to the AD-105 Dialer Unit {Yes separate units so you can hide the dialer}. It may not be able to trigger a dial out.

I don't have much data on their AAA+ Home Smart Line of consoles and home control products.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 09:07:40 AM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 09:22:27 AM »

Birdseye
http://aasalarm.com/
Here is the system which my co-worker really likes. His only negative feed back from the owner is, the owner replaces batteries every six months. I believe he uses it to protect a business, so heavy traffic may be contributory to the short battery life.

I don't want to take any business away from X10, and this is their site. But the SC1200 *seems* to have issues that a secuirty system should not have. I know this AAS system is protecting an out building 200 feet from console.

FWIW
I think a system using "spread spectrum" for their wireless transmission would be most resistant to "flooding". But unless you live in a mansion that says "huge wealth stored here" I really think you are worring about an unlikely event.

Unless he knew the exact security system, a burgler would need a spectrum analyzer to detect what frequency the security remotes transmit on. To do that, he would have to wait for a "check-in" transmission, or purposely trigger a remote (motion sensor?) to find the frequency. Then he would need a tunable transmitter to tune a "flooding" signal to the same frequency and transmit the signal close to his entry point. He would also have to contend with the possibility that the system is smart enough to detect the interference as a threat and trigger. This ain't the stuff a typical "I need a hit" burglar would be carrying around.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 10:22:34 AM by dave w »

birdzeye

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 11:15:11 AM »

Dave W,
It's not so much the "I need a hit" burglar I'm concerned about-- it's my nosy trouble-making neighbour who knows I have an x10 security system I'm worried about.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 04:22:39 PM »

Dave W,
It's not so much the "I need a hit" burglar I'm concerned about-- it's my nosy trouble-making neighbour who knows I have an x10 security system I'm worried about.
Yes, that could be a problem.
The X10 SecurLink system(SC1200 with remotes) offers no more communications security over your old console. And, based on common complaints on the forum, it has miserable range, and sensors that suddenly can not transmit to the console, where they did prior. I would recommend an old blind dog over the SecurLink. Can't speak to the SkyLink, other than they have been around a while.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 07:52:19 PM by dave w »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.