Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hello, first time post, considering x10  (Read 2609 times)

dstaley

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Hello, first time post, considering x10
« on: November 29, 2012, 10:05:49 PM »

Hi guys,
My boss and I were talking about me considering some home automation for our new home & detached workshop, he recommended I look into x10.  It looks promising.  One thing I can't seem to find is a two pole, 220v switch.  I'm installing some 220v PA22 metal halide fixtures in my workshop, so I'll need to kill both hot wires with the switch instead of just one.  Are these available?

I haven't updated my profile yet, but in case it factors in I'm in central Illinois near Peoria.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Hello, first time post, considering x10
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 12:53:33 PM »

I'm installing some 220v PA22 metal halide fixtures in my workshop, so I'll need to kill both hot wires with the switch instead of just one.  

Why?
If they are 220V fixtures, opening one side of the 220V will kill the light.
XPS2 should do it. If they are still available.
http://www.x10pro.com/pro/catalog/receivers.html#wire

However halides are noise makers and electrical noise is the nemisis of X10 powerline communications. So you might want to read about electrical noise problems. If you have problems, filters are available. You also might consider an RF based system like Z-Wave.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 12:58:33 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

jerryjam

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 05:09:16 AM »

-:)Like Dave said:  You really need to consider the electrical noise that your lights will put into the electrical grid.  Do yourself a favor and install a separate electrical panel for your X10 equipment.  You will need to research and obtain wired-in in-line filters for your lights!!!  Next; consider using a 120 Volt single phase relay with 240 Volt double poles to switch your lights using an X10 wired in-line device to open and close that relay.  It sounds rather expensive but then it will always be reliable.  Another thing that is important is to look at Dave's website and order his XTB-IIR.  You will need this to install in your electrical panel (or some other 240 Volt place that is handy to access).  You will need this to phase couple your two 120 volt phases and amplify the X10 signal to reach your shop.
You really should consider planning a special place for all your X10 products that you will be using and set it up for yourself because you will be spending lots of time there!
Remember to avoid florescent and compact florescent lighting of possible.  If you plan to use those lighting fixtures then try to plan your electrical wiring so that they will share a common breaker in the breaker panel.  You will need to install an in-line filter in the breaker box to service these noisy fixtures.  Lastly; Keep good records on your computer of all X10 purchases and make an X10 folder for you email inbox.  Be prepared.  You will either love X10 or hate it.  Maybe both.  Z-Wave might be a better way to go but it will have it's own problems. B:(

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 11:50:39 AM »

"jerryjam"

It is Jeff Volp  http://jvde.us/ who makes the XTBIIR. I'm not smart enough to put D cells in a flash light, so confusing me with Jeff is a pretty bad insult to Jeff.  ;D

FWIW In the late '90's I ran two 75W high pressure sodium halides off an appliance module with no need for additional filtering. I had 127 X10 modules in that house. I'm not sure how mercury halide compares, and dstaley did not say what type of halide bulb he is using in his shop. Also FWIW I did notice high noise on my old ELK X10 signal meter, only during the first 10 seconds or so of the lamps ignition sequence.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 11:55:53 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.