Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What am i missing?  (Read 2504 times)

richy2

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
What am i missing?
« on: December 19, 2012, 04:38:51 PM »

I have the PTZ Outdoor wireless ip camera.

I purchased the POE kit for the PTZ Outdoor camera. I made sure i ordered the correct one.

I viewed the picture on the x10 site how to connect... But i'm confused.

I thought you get the power to power the camera from the router/ethernet/internet.

From the picture on the x10 it shows the camera's power adapter plugged into one end of the POE kit that's plugged into a CAT5 cable that's plugged into the other POE kit that's plugged into the ethernet  port and power port on the camera.

I currently have a 2.1mm X 5.5mm DC Plug Extension Cable for Power Adapter, 25 Feet long currently connected.

Now some may need longer but my thing is its still plugged into a power outlet.
I was thinking this would save me from having 2 powers adapter ( router and cameras ) using up a outlet spot.

From x10 site...
One Wire Does It All! Power and Audio/Video via One CAT5 Network Cable!
        ( i am using one right now for power only)

Audio - I have an external mic connected that needs its own power adaptor...
Will the mic get power from the audio input on the camera that the mic needs needs to plug into?

From x10 site...
Did you know that you can power your IP cameras through your wireless router? It's true! If you have an IP camera wired directly to your router, there is no need to run a separate power cord! No need for a power outlet right by your IP camera! Who wants multiple cords running through their home or business anyway? All you need is this PoE (Power-over-Ethernet) and you can connect your IP camera to your wireless network and power it up with one CAT5, CAT5E, or CAT6 Ethernet network cable. This easy kit works with all X10 AirSight IP Cameras (you will need a separate model if you have the AirSight PTZ Pro Camera).

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: What am i missing?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 06:17:35 PM »

The passive POE adapters from X10. Use the two pairs of wires normally not used for network signals. To carry the power from the cameras supply. Through the network cable to the camera end. The router end adds the power from the cameras power supply to the network cable. The adapter at the camera end splits the power off of the network cable and connects it to the camera itself.
Pair 4&5 carry the + power and 7&8 carry the - return. The high speed Gigabyte Ethernet uses all four pairs of wires and POE can't use them.

Normally a router does not supply any power on its connectors. Some active POE ones may but I doubt most users would have that type.
The X10 description may have been unclear. The POE adapter set does use the power supply from the camera at the router end of the network cable.

There is also what is known as an active POE connection. In that case up to 48 volts DC is injected in to the network cable and at the other end is a power regulator module. That takes the 48 volts and regulates it to either 5 or 12 volt. Many times switch selected. That way any power losses in the cable are not a factor. In the passive POE like X10 is using. Any power losses in the network cable will result in a lower voltage into the camera.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:29:17 PM by Brian H »

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 09:32:27 AM »

From the picture on the x10 it shows the camera's power adapter plugged into one end of the POE kit that's plugged into a CAT5 cable that's plugged into the other POE kit that's plugged into the ethernet  port and power port on the camera.

Audio - I have an external mic connected that needs its own power adaptor...
Will the mic get power from the audio input on the camera that the mic needs needs to plug into?

The camera's power adapter will still need to be used, and connected in the manner that you wrote above.

A normal mic will get power from the camera and will not need to be plugged into its own power source. If your mic has its own power adapter, then it will make the installation more difficult.

Andytec

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 05:57:40 AM »

Can a POE powered switch provide power to the Airsight cameras automatically or are they not configured to receive it and MUST (only) be powered by their own power supply either at the camera or through the POE cabling adapters from X10 ?

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 11:20:24 AM »

Can a POE powered switch provide power to the Airsight cameras automatically or are they not configured to receive it and MUST (only) be powered by their own power supply either at the camera or through the POE cabling adapters from X10 ?

A POE powered switch typically will not have the current output to run a camera. Ideally you should use the camera's original power supply, however, any source that puts out the proper voltage and current should work fine.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.