Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PLC Amplifier  (Read 6573 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
PLC Amplifier
« on: December 21, 2012, 02:38:18 PM »

I've had an email from an electrical engineer in the utility industry asking if I would host a DIY project of his design on my webpage.

I've seen a preliminary schematic of his PLC Amplifier which adds a beefy OpAmp and power supply to a TM751, connects to both phases and has approximately 35Vpp PLC output. He expects the final version to approach his design goal of 50Vpp.

Once he sends me the final design with a parts list and description, I'll add a page to my website. It will include his email address so he can field questions.

I referred him to schematics for the RR501, CM11A and CM15A and he is going to investigate whether his design can be used with them. I suspect it will work with all but the CM11A. I'm also sending him a surplus RR501 and one of the original CM15As to tinker with. He runs his home with a CM15A (and his own software) and doesn't want to disturb it.

He was unaware of Jeff Volp's efforts in this area so I referred him to Jeff's website, as well.

Stay tuned - things could get interesting.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 03:41:22 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
Re: PLC Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 10:06:21 PM »

Here's the URL...

I may marry this with a Powerline Modem I designed.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 08:47:46 AM »

Looks interesting.
Thanks for the updates.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 03:48:12 PM »

With the other devices that receive PLC, there's no way to receive from both phases so there's not much reason to try to adapt it to them.

My powerline modem design, however, can be adapted to receive from multiple phases so, as time permits, I'll merge it with this, let Gus Dattilo, who designed the PLC amplifier, do the testing, and publish the details. It will have to be DIY but I'll design a PCB and it may be available with the SMD components preinstalled. It will send/receive to/from up to 3 phases - eliminating the need for couplers, measure RF RSSI & PLC RSSI and have options for...
  • Battery-backed RTC
  • Up to 64KB EEPROM for timers/macros
  • 310/433.92MHz RF receiver
  • 310/433.92MHz RF transmitter
  • USB port
  • 4 RS232 ports
  • Ethernet interface*
  • WiFi interface*
  • ZigBee interface*
  • XBee interface*
  • Bluetooth interface*
  • Windows, Linux, OSX, Android & iOS interface software
  • Published communications protocol
  • Upgradable firmware
*mutually exclusive

+5V power from USB or a wallwart with USB connector if not using USB. All the logic is isolated from the mains so a good RF receiving antenna will be no problem. Can supply isolated +5V over coax to preamp in antenna base.

On 3-phase systems, it can send/receive to/from each phase separately.

If the Android OS is ported to Raspberry Pi, there may be a software interface for it.

I think it could be the ultimate X10 interface but I might be biased.  :'

OK. I have merged the two designs and added a few features. There should be prototypes for testing in 3-4 weeks. The feature list may change as things progress.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:50:16 PM by dhouston »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 01:45:53 PM »

This is progressing. I have updated the features listed in my above post.

I should have prototypes in about 3 weeks and have lined up a European tester for 3-phase power.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 01:02:11 AM »

I just noticed this thread.  Any updates on progress?  Sounds like a pretty interesting concept that may solve some people's problems with reliability as well as adding significant capability.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 06:30:25 AM »

My health has deteriorated to the point that I'm unable to do any testing but the engineer who developed it is testing a version that uses an Arduino for its brain. He can only work on it sporadically so progress may be slow.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.