Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM-15 Failure modes?  (Read 5714 times)

glacier991

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
CM-15 Failure modes?
« on: December 21, 2012, 11:28:53 PM »

Before I ditch it, I want to share my "seeming" CM-15A failure, and see if this is a common failure mode for them.

I have a robust system in my remote mtn home and it has been working pretty flawlessly. Then, suddenly, it seemed to work sporadically, and when I would go to the activity monitor there would be essentially spurious (e.g. not for any of my addresses ) signals scolling down the screen non-stop, and some "status request" and other signals I had never seen.

I know there is no one anywhere close using X-10 and the rapidity with which these signals were appearing was odd. I unplugged the CM15 module and let it sit for a while to drain any capacitors and even removed the batteries so it went truly dead. When I plugged it is, problem fixed... for a while... then it started again.

I conclude the CM-15 id the problem, and this may be it's death rattle.   

Has anyone else experienced this?   I have way too many macros to be very happy converting to a CM-11 (which I have).  May be time to think about insteon?

Chris

I just noticed X-10 is again selling CM-15's. which I preordered and they say will ship by 1-14.... but still... anyone experience my problems?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: CM-15 Failure modes?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 06:30:24 AM »

Did the Activity Monitor indicate power line or RF type garbage?
Do you have an active coupler repeater? There are a few known to get into a firestorm signal fight with a CM15A.

Yes the first batch of CM15As sold out quickly and I also saw they where doing a preorder for the next production run.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 09:55:22 AM »

If your activity monitor indicates the trash is PLC, is it sporadic, or continous with no let-up? Did the power company install a "smart Meter" recently? 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 10:53:59 AM »

I doubt the smart meters create valid X10 codes that will show up in logs (unless from brownouts). The reports are limited to certain switches which have long been prone to spikes etc. I suspect the same mechanism. I sent Smarthome made modules to two victims. While one apparently was defective, the other, when set to the same address as the switch, did not exhibit random Ons when the switch did. I suggested another victim try a similar module and he reported the same results.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

glacier991

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 06:24:21 PM »

I have had my smartmeter for some time (of course the value of it lies in the capacity to output real time date to the homeowner, but they won't turn THAT on yet <despite repeated requests and promises of a "global date>)

I do have a coupler/repeater installed. What seemed odd though is that the commands were for addresses I do not have in many cases, and "status request" etc... I have 2 addresses in use on HC "J" and yet I was seeing J8, J6, etc.

I have another CM-15 that I "retired" for this reason at my primary residence.... now with 2 CM-15 exhibiting this behavior, it certaily looks like a failure mode when a replacement at my primary home solved the problem, but was curious if others have experienced this.

Thanks all for the replies... keep em coming <g>

Chris

I owe X-10 for honoring their promise to create a "replacement" (even if it is an exact copy) for the CM-15. Now if we could fix some of the software bugs!!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 09:22:36 PM »

Does your electric suppler have a Opt Out for Smart Meters?  I live in Baltimore, MD and Baltimore Gas & Electric has a opt-out for smart meters which I am already on.  Remember one thing:  Smart Meters are for the company, not for the users.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 09:32:07 AM »

Anytime I see many very strange things happening with an electronic device. I think power supply problems.
I doubt X10 used long life capacitors in their devices.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 10:45:55 AM »

I doubt the smart meters create valid X10 codes that will show up in logs (unless from brownouts).
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=25766.0

OK, so the (Echelon created) events discussed in this thread, would likely not create anything on an Activity Log?

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 11:44:50 AM »

I doubt the smart meters create valid X10 codes that will show up in logs (unless from brownouts).
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=25766.0

OK, so the (Echelon created) events discussed in this thread, would likely not create anything on an Activity Log?

I don't believe anybody in that thread saw any logged events - they just experienced random ons. And two of the participants in the thread tested Smarthome made modules set to the same address as the affected switches w/o the modules exhibiting the random ons which points to a long known X10 design flaw where devices respond to spikes and brownouts.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 11:46:47 AM »

... Remember one thing:  Smart Meters are for the company, not for the users....
Until you have a power outage, and your home's outage is automatically reported to the company for faster resolution. This is especially useful if you're not home when the power goes out.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 12:16:36 PM »

... Remember one thing:  Smart Meters are for the company, not for the users....
Until you have a power outage, and your home's outage is automatically reported to the company for faster resolution. This is especially useful if you're not home when the power goes out.

We recently had our first winter storm (rather mild except for high winds) in the Cincinnati region and, on the 5PM News Weather Report, the meteorologist reported power outages by county, using Dukes data. This was shortly after the high winds began. I think you can assume that Duke could also quickly assign crews to deal with the outages. After all, they only get paid when electricity is being used so they have an incentive to respond quickly.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »

exhibiting the random ons which points to a long known X10 design flaw where devices respond to spikes and brownouts.
Understand. And yes our entire house turns on after a power outage followed by a "brown-up" (dirty restoration of power).

glacier991

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 08:40:42 PM »

Well color me stupid, and embarassed. Turns out it was undeleted modules.DUH. So my "new CM-15A" once received will become a backup.

I have a new issue, and will post it in a separate thread.

Chris

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.