Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Updates to AHP Software?  (Read 11508 times)

glacier991

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
Updates to AHP Software?
« on: December 21, 2012, 11:41:40 PM »

We all know the most up-to-date AHP software has some bugs... and once the CM-15 seemed to disappear, I held little hope that there would be any reason for X-10 to revisit it and fix the bugs, let alone add upgrades/updates. But, now (and thank you X-10, as promised) the CM-15 appears to be back, can we expect some "freshening up" of the accompanying AHP software? Or at least bug fixes? Please?

Thanks

Chris Swanberg

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Updates to AHP Software?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 06:33:54 AM »

Not too many official X10 employees frequent here these days.
Hopefully someone at X10 will see this and answer your question.
My gut feeling is nothing will happen. I don't believe they have many programmers anymore.

glacier991

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 06:26:49 PM »

Brian, I fear you may be right. Sad thing is, the rapidity with which they sold their first production run of the "new" CM-15 should serve notice that there is a robust market for their type of HA out there, and with a little attention they could rebuild what their prior benign neglect effectively was killing.

Chris

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 09:33:36 PM »

Sad thing is, the rapidity with which they sold their first production run of the "new" CM-15 should serve notice that there is a robust market for their type of HA out there, and with a little attention they could rebuild what their prior benign neglect effectively was killing.

:)%

Very true words.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dpointer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 11:11:40 PM »

I don't know whether this is the right place for this.  If not, I'm sure someone will let me know.

I have been running an x10 system with ActiveHome Pro (CM15A) on a pc running Windows 7 (64bit) for some time with no problems.  I have an older version (3.236) with about 5 plugins registered in it.    I'd like to upgrade to the newer version of AHP but am not sure of how to go about it.   Do I just upload it over the existing version or do I have to completely uninstall the old one first?    Then what happens to the plugins that are registered after the upgrade? 

Can someone describe the process or point me to a procedure if it already exists?    Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 06:09:25 AM »

There is an update file in the software center. For existing installations.
It should update AHP and all the plug-ins.
http://www.x10.com/support/support_soft1.htm

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 08:38:08 AM »

Upgrading is as simple as downloading the new version (either the "update" or the "full version"), and installing it over the old one. That will update any installed plugins, too.

One important thing to keep in mind when you upgrade from the version you have:
If any of your dimmable modules (lamps and/or wall switches) are the older ones (without the SoftStart feature - see below for an explanation), you will need to edit the modules, and change the category from "Lamps" to "Old Lamps - NoSoftStart," and then re-select the module type. Mixing both "old" and "new" modules on the same HouseCode/UnitCode combination (ex: two lamps in the same room you want to go on/off together) is not recommended. The modules will not work correctly if you do. In that case, you should either switch the mis-matched modules around so they are all the same type, or define them all as "Old Lamps."

If you aren't sure if your modules have SoftStart or not, see my explanation below (you can skip the rest of this post if you already know what SoftStart is, and how to tell if your modules have it).

Explanation of SoftStart, and the ramifications of picking the wrong module category:

Back around 2008, X10 changed the design of their dimming modules (plugin lamp modules and wall switches), and added in the "SoftStart" function and the ability to be controlled using "Extended Dim" commands. The new design allows you to set a module to a specific dim level directly, without having to go to "full on" first. The new modules will slowly "ramp up" to the desired level when turning on, instead of going on immediately at full brightness (like the older ones). The newer modules will respond to "Extended Dim" commands, but the old ones won't. However, the new modules will still respond to the older "Percent Dim" commands just fine. Unfortunately, they didn't change the model numbers when they changed the design. The easiest way to determine which ones you have (and you might have a mixture of both) is to watch them when they turn on. If they immediately jump to full brightness, they are the older ones. If they "ramp up" to full brightness, they are the newer ones.

Starting with version 3.302, X10 added support for the newer (SoftStart) modules. Since the module numbers are the same between the old and the new, they decided the "Lamps" category should be the newer ones (the ones any current customers would be buying), and added a second category, "Old Lamps - no SoftStart," for the older ones. AHP sends Extended Dim commands to control the newer modules, and it sends Percent Dim commands to control the older ones (the "off" command is still the same for both).

dpointer

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 01:22:07 PM »

Upgrading is as simple as downloading the new version (either the "update" or the "full version"), and installing it over the old one. That will update any installed plugins, too.

I'm still having problems upgrading from version 3.236 to 3.318.    I have tried installing over the old version.  It seems to go ok but when I try to start AHP afterwards, it gets to the part where it's registering the plugins and stops responding with Windows eventually closing it.   I can do a system restore and everything if fine but back on the old version.    I've tried it with both the update and the full version.   Anti-virus software was disabled.    Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 01:29:46 PM »

Try backing up all your .ahx files to separate memory then delete AHP 3.236 totally.    One that is done, install 3.318 and when it's installed you can then reinstall your ahx files.   Good luck!!   
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dpointer

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 01:39:41 PM »

Try backing up all your .ahx files to separate memory then delete AHP 3.236 totally.    One that is done, install 3.318 and when it's installed you can then reinstall your ahx files.   Good luck!!   

How does that affect the Plugins?    Do they have to be registered again?

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 02:33:25 PM »

They *might* need to be re-registered.
However, you can try it as a two-step process.
First, back up your AHX files.
Then, REMOVE the AHX file that AHP it trying to open at startup, and it should give a small "file not found" error, but still open up.
If that works, then try opening up that AHX file.

One other thing you can try first, (certainly can't hurt) would be to download and install the full version.
Then, download and install each of the plugins (shouldn't be necessary, they should get updated with the 3.318 install, but try it anyway). 

Did you:
1. Download the installer before running it (instead of running it right from your browser's temp folder)?
2. Run the installer "As Administrator"?
3. Try running AHP "As Administrator"?

dpointer

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 04:27:02 PM »

They *might* need to be re-registered.
However, you can try it as a two-step process.
First, back up your AHX files.
Then, REMOVE the AHX file that AHP it trying to open at startup, and it should give a small "file not found" error, but still open up.
If that works, then try opening up that AHX file.

One other thing you can try first, (certainly can't hurt) would be to download and install the full version.
Then, download and install each of the plugins (shouldn't be necessary, they should get updated with the 3.318 install, but try it anyway). 

Did you:
1. Download the installer before running it (instead of running it right from your browser's temp folder)?
2. Run the installer "As Administrator"?
3. Try running AHP "As Administrator"?

OK, I tried all of your suggestions some of which I had already tried.   And nothing worked until I  completely uninstalled the old version.   Then I installed the full new version.   Everything was ok then.   Next I started installing the plugins (Smart Macros, Iwatchout, Onalert and Myhouse).   Everything was fine until Iwatchout was installed.    As soon as it was installed, AHP would stop working during the plugin registration process and then close.   At lease I know what component is causing it.   Any ideas on why it may be doing it?   Thanks

pomonabill221

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 05:55:29 PM »

Iwatchout REQUIRES a camera to function, or AHP will NOT start!  I have an old Logitec usb camera plugged into my computer, and Iwatchout likes it and AHP starts.

dpointer

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 07:12:49 PM »

Iwatchout REQUIRES a camera to function, or AHP will NOT start!  I have an old Logitec usb camera plugged into my computer, and Iwatchout likes it and AHP starts.

Yes, I have a USB webcam that seemed to satisfy the older version of AHP.  But it won't satisfy the newer version. 

pomonabill221

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 07:59:43 PM »

HHmmm... well DARN IT! I know I had that problem with Iwatchout and that is what I did to solve the problem.... I'm outta suggestions... sorry
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.