Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Problem with X10 SocketRocket + Insteon KeypadLinc + Insteon Motion Sensor  (Read 5355 times)

sfjosh

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I started with several X10 SocketRockets (LM15A).  They are all set to the same housecode and unit code.  I then set this code as the primary X10 address for the KeypadLinc.  That part worked fine, as I am able toggle the SocketRockets on and off from the KeypadLinc.  I then tried to add an Insteon Motion Sensor to the system.  I followed the directions to set up the same button on the KeypadLinc as a responder to the motion detector.  It seemed to work, because when I press the set button on the motion detector (tests sending the on signal), the KeypadLinc LED turns on and off.  However, the X10 SocketRockets do not respond.  Is there a way to make this work? Am I missing something obvious?  Thanks.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24

Do Insteon motion sensors send X10 commands?  Perhaps they only send Insteon commands which the switchlinc understands but not X10 commands which the SocketRockets require.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

Since the KeypadLinc is responding to the Motion Sensor directly.
Do you have the Dual Band KeypadLinc Relay Model? As it is the only KeypadLinc with an RF receiver in it.
I don't think the responder linking in the KeypadLinc. Will resend the an X10 On or Off to its programmed Primary X10 address.

Insteon Motion Sensors do not send an X10 command and I don't think they can even have an X10 address added to them. As the X10 RF frequency is 310MHz and Insteon is 915MHz.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 06:33:54 AM by Brian H »

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9

The Insteon motion sensors definitely do not send X10 codes.

I have a couple in use in my system that have their Insteon code received by the HouseLinc software and an event (macro) then sends an X10 command.

My preference is to use the X10 MS16A sensor - it detects bodies well and the darkness sensor actually works.

I don't use any keypadlincs, so I don't know if it's possible to map an Insteon receive code to an X10 send code
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

sfjosh

Do Insteon motion sensors send X10 commands?  Perhaps they only send Insteon commands which the switchlinc understands but not X10 commands which the SocketRockets require.

No, the motion sensor is Insteon only.  The KeypadLinc is intended to receive the Insteon command from the motion sensor and send X10 commands to the SocketRockets.

Since the KeypadLinc is responding to the Motion Sensor directly.
Do you have the Dual Band KeypadLinc Relay Model? As it is the only KeypadLinc with an RF receiver in it.
I don't think the responder linking in the KeypadLinc. Will resend the an X10 On or Off to its programmed Primary X10 address.

Yes, I have the Dual Band KeypadLinc 2487S (http://www.smarthome.com/2487S/KeypadLinc-INSTEON-6-Button-Scene-Control-Keypad-with-On-Off-Switch-Dual-Band-White/p.aspx).  It can send/receive RF signals, as I am able to see the motion sensor communicating with the KeypadLinc and the KeypadLinc communicating with the X10 devices.  I just can't get it to send X10 commands in response to the Insteon command from the motion sensor.  Is there a different device that I could use to accomplish this?

The Insteon motion sensors definitely do not send X10 codes.

I have a couple in use in my system that have their Insteon code received by the HouseLinc software and an event (macro) then sends an X10 command.

My preference is to use the X10 MS16A sensor - it detects bodies well and the darkness sensor actually works.

I don't use any keypadlincs, so I don't know if it's possible to map an Insteon receive code to an X10 send code

Thanks, I will look into the X10 motion sensor.  I was trying to move in the direction of Insteon devices instead of buying more X10.  I like the idea of an event/macro, but the HouseLinc software requires the PC to be on for it to work, which doesn't work for me.  Do you know if the web-based software remote interfaces such as the Insteon Hub (http://www.smarthome.com/2242-222/INSTEON-Hub/p.aspx) or Insteon Central Controller (http://www.smarthome.com/2412N/SmartLinc-INSTEON-Central-Controller/p.aspx) allow for setting up a similar macro?

Brian H

• Community Organizer

No the KeypadLinc will not send an X10 command when its load buttons are turned On and Off by the Insteon Motion Sensor. Only when locally activated.

I have not seen a module that takes an Insteon Message and then sends an X10 command. The other way around. X10 command resent to a Insteon module can be done by a Simplehomenet EZX10RF. It is a all X10 address transceiver {House Codes A-P and Unit Codes 1-16} and can be programed to send an Insteon command from an X10 received RF signal.

The high end Universal Devices ISY99i and ISY994i can stand alone and send X10 commands from an Insteon Trigger.
Of the two. The ISY994i is the better choice for future growth. I have seen indications the ISY99i's firmware area is about at it maximum and that further firmware updates will be for the ISY994i series.
http://www.universal-devices.com/residential/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:07:58 PM by Brian H »

sfjosh

No the KeypadLinc will not send an X10 command when its load buttons are turned On and Off by the Insteon Motion Sensor. Only when locally activeted.

Thanks for confirming that.

I have not seen a module that takes an Insteon Message and then sends an X10 command. The other way around. X10 command resent to a Insteon module can be done by a Simplehomenet EZX10RF. It is a all X10 address transceiver {House Codes A-P and Unit Codes 1-16} and can be programed to send an Insteon command from an X10 received RF signal.

The high end Universal Devices ISY99i and ISY994i can stand alone and send X10 commands from an Insteon Trigger.
Of the two. The ISY994i is the better choice for future growth. I have seen indications the ISY99i's firmware area is about at it maximum and that further firmware updates will be for the ISY994i series.
http://www.universal-devices.com/residential/

I understand.  As cool as those Universal Devices Controllers look, I think it might be overkill for my application.  I will try an X10 motion sensor instead, such as the MS16A sensor suggested by @beelocks.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51

I think if you have the SmartLinc central controller, you can program a macro, triggered by the Insteon address, to send the right X10 command(s).
Other than that, I don't know how you can do it.
It seems that SmartHome is starting to remove X10 support from some of their modules - it looks like the newer SwitchLinc switches no longer have the X10 mode.

I have a number of Insteon switches in my house, and all are set up with X10 addresses. I don't actually use the Insteon part of it. Most, if not all, of my switches (I got them at different times, so they are a number of different revisions) send their corresponding X10 "on" or "off" when you turn them on or off manually.

bkenobi

• PI Expert

I wasn't aware that SwitchLinc switches were no longer sending X10.  I just bought a couple last month when they were on sale.  I guess I should check to make sure they still work with X10!

Brian H

• Community Organizer

Many still do but best to look at the sales page for the one you are interested in.
The 2476?? models that are Power line only Insteon modules are all gone. Most likely why they where on sale. Some of those I believe did eliminate X10 support.
The only SwitchLincs now available are the 2477? Line of Dual Band. A quick look at the sales pages. Did shows X10 support on most of them.
Of course Dual Band means at least $10.00 more than their power line only ones and they don't repeat X10 commands only Insteon ones by RF.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
Re: Problem with X10 SocketRocket + Insteon KeypadLinc + Insteon Motion Sensor
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 03:22:55 PM »

Actually, what I have are ToggleLinc switches (2466SI).  When I ordered, the sales rep told me that they did in fact have X10 so I should be ok.  Would be a good idea to hook them up to test though.  At least checking the manual that came with them would be prudent.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 03:27:52 PM »

Sales page is showing X10 support.
Though testing can't hurt.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 07:46:40 PM »

Actually, what I have are ToggleLinc switches (2466SI).  When I ordered, the sales rep told me that they did in fact have X10 so I should be ok.  Would be a good idea to hook them up to test though.  At least checking the manual that came with them would be prudent.
Most of mine are ToggleLincs, too. I have two SwitchLincs from a few years ago.
All of mine are on X10 only (I'm not using the Insteon part of the switches right now).

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.