Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Some of the modules quit responding to the CM15A  (Read 6670 times)

Missouri Bound

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Some of the modules quit responding to the CM15A
« on: January 01, 2013, 09:01:10 PM »

After working for many months without a problem, some of the modules have stopped working.  I have 9 in use, and 4 of them began working intermittently, then have stopped.  It appears that it is more location related than module.  There are some modules which would work with the remote and now that has stopped as well.  Do any of you think that this is a symptom of a failing CM15A or perhaps the plug in signal bridge I use with my electric dryer.  I am surprised that the wireless would also quit responding.  Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks to all.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Some of the modules quit responding to the CM15A
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 06:31:30 AM »

Did you recently update AHP from an earlier version to the latest?

Are the unresponsive devices dimmer types?
If they are do they Soft Start? Where they ramp On and Off over a few seconds?

Any new electronic devices in the house or an existing electronic device moved?

If you look in the Activity Monitor do the RF commands show as being received?

Could be something is making more power line problems and the signals from the CM15A are not getting where the modules are.
If the CM15A is also the RF Tranceiver it could be sending the power line commands and the modules are not seeing them. You may want to check the Hardware Configuration and verify the House Codes you are using are enabled to be transceived.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://www.act-remote.com/PCC/uncle.htm
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 06:50:12 AM by Brian H »

Missouri Bound

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 01:01:25 PM »

Thanks for the reply Brian.
Nothing new, no changes in either household equipment or electronics, no changes in programming.  Just some of the items stopp working.  The modules for the most part are the HD466, LMT 101 and the like, all plug in lamp dimmable lamp modules W/O the soft start.
I unplugged the dryer signal coupler and nothing changed, the same devices still worked.  Is it reasonable to assume that since it didn't make a difference it's probably the cause of some of the modules not working?  If so, is there any way to bench test the singnal coupler?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 02:50:32 PM »

HD466 & LMT101?    What are those?  Not X10USA I'd think.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 03:51:09 PM »

IBM & Magnavox brand X10 modules.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 04:26:22 PM »

When you say they "stopped responding," have you tried turning them on manually, and the turning them off using AHP?
What does the Activity Log show in AHP?
It might be a failing CFL bulb. I have had those cause noise that blocked X10 communications. They still lit up just fine, but there was a distint "buzz" sound, and the bulb was throwing out enough electronic noise to drown out my X10 signals. (One time the problem was actually caused by my NEIGHBOR's failing CFL bulb!) It might be worth the effort to try turning off any CFL or LED bulbs you have, and trying those modules again. If that doesn't help, you could try different times of the day, when neighbors with noisy electronics might have them turned off.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 04:31:13 PM by Noam »

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 07:12:57 PM »

IBM & Magnavox brand X10 modules.

I've got a couple of Magnavox lamp modules plus Radio Shack lamp modules and several odd named lamp modules. As far as AHP is concerned they are all lamp modules.  It doesn't care.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 07:16:09 PM »

As long as you use the Before Soft Start Lamp Module list in AHP. They should work fine.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 08:43:02 PM »

Since they are are "Older Lamps" there is no problem using them.    I have several Lamps and wall switches that are soft-start so they are banished to the attic where all the rooms are storage anyway.

BentBrother

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 10:44:22 PM »

Same strange NEW issues here. → Different modules stopped working. (Lamp Dimmers and wall soft starters-) Changed computers to Windows8- loaded same ahp version and fired it up and magically a wall switch which had NOT WORKED In years (yeah years- I gave up trying to find imaginary 'NOISE')-
worked flawlessly with on\ off / dim/ off/ on outside green and red Christmas lights! Awesome right? -:)   tonight- I Put all the white lights outside, back in (none cfl) and now→  Boom..
That Xmas wall outlet DOES NOT respond to AHP or a remote commands anymore. WTF?  B:(

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 08:42:20 AM »

Same strange NEW issues here. → Different modules stopped working. (Lamp Dimmers and wall soft starters-) Changed computers to Windows8- loaded same ahp version and fired it up and magically a wall switch which had NOT WORKED In years (yeah years- I gave up trying to find imaginary 'NOISE')-
worked flawlessly with on\ off / dim/ off/ on outside green and red Christmas lights! Awesome right? -:)   tonight- I Put all the white lights outside, back in (none cfl) and now→  Boom..
That Xmas wall outlet DOES NOT respond to AHP or a remote commands anymore. WTF?  B:(

What version of AHP are you running?
What module type are you having problems with?
If you turn the lights on manually, can you turn them off with AHP?
Besides changing light bulbs, did you change anything else in the house at the same time?
If you put the other bulbs back in, does that module start working again?

Missouri Bound

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 11:53:45 PM »

OK here's an update...wordy and a related thought.  The modules which will not work with the Activehome Pro willwork with the old wireless transmitter which was used before the CM15A integrated the two together, if it is moved to an outlet near one of the receivers.  I am thinking that this tells me that the signal bridge has become inactive. (any thoughts on that)  So what I am considering doing is purchasing another CM15A and plugging it into an outlet which is on the other side of the electrical panel?  (follow so far?)

I would then program both of the controllers exactly the same and let them work together.  Does anyone think this could be an issue?  If both were able to send a signal to the same module, what would be the result?  I like the X10 for it's simplicity and it's low cost compared to other systems and do not want to change it at this time.  Is there a test for the signal bridge?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 07:21:44 AM »

On the random chance they both sent at the EXACT {not very likely} sametime. As the CM15A is supposed to be polite and wait for a clear power line. They would step on each other and garbage the data to the modules.

What type Passive or Active Repeater Coupler do you have?

gg4000

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
  • Been playing x-10 since Windows 3.0
    • GG4000.com
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 08:48:48 AM »

I just figured out why a few of my modules stopped working since Christmas.
It was a Christmas present. A cooler size Coke refrigerator.  rofl
As soon as I unplugged it, everything started working again.  :)%

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 02:52:44 PM »

So what I am considering doing is purchasing another CM15A and plugging it into an outlet which is on the other side of the electrical panel?  (follow so far?)

I would then program both of the controllers exactly the same and let them work together.  Does anyone think this could be an issue? 
It's been done before. If you search the forum, you might find the several threads on using two CM15A as a Rube Goldberg way of bridging the two phases in the home, instead of using a good repeater. As I recall, it did work but created the extra work of keeping the two running AHP programs identical. Also you obviously lose the Rube Goldberg coupling between phases if you use any plug-in or wire-in X10 controllers.

"This aftershave makes me look fat"
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.