Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM19a or MR26a use with Door Switches (DS12a, ds10a, dd501) or motion detectors?  (Read 3559 times)

Mysticle31

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I've been working on an automation system for my small home with HomeSeer.  I'd like to use a CM19a or MR26a to be able to communicate to X10 Door sensors and motion detectors.  Some people say that wont work because the sensors are designed for the security system.  I'm not sure. What do you think?  Have any experience with them?  Do any of the X10 stuff have low battery warnings?

I had also thought of buying serial 315 or 433mhz universal transmitters and receivers with some cheep-o door sensors from ebay to do the same thing.  However, will HomeSeer see them as devices? I dont know how I would rig that up.  I could write a python script that will send/receive RF codes from the serial port or run them on an Arduino.

Universal Transmitters/Receiver: http://www.ebay.com/itm/315Mhz-RF-transmitter-and-receiver-module-Alarm-Set-for-Arduino-ARM-MCU-WL-/230924004663?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c424ad37

Cheepo Door Sensor:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Door-Window-Magnet-Sensor-Detector-For-Alarm-System-315-MHz-/271033425728?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1ad9df40

Thank you for any advice!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139

There are a couple Homeseer plug-ins that allow Homeseer to talk X10 security. I used ACRF2 plug-in with the W800 USB 310mHz receiver from WGL Designs. I do not know if ACRF2 or the other plug-in for Homeseer can talk to a CM19, but MR26A is listed in the ACRF2 configuration menu.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Mysticle31

Ohhhhh!  HomeSeer uses plugins!  I feel like an idiot.  I didn't fully understand.  I thought it could just do simple IO commands to a port on my PC that was hooked to a transmitter/CM15 whatever. 

In that case I may have to buy something that could be more compatible with generic transmissions.  I had intended to build an RFID circut that would tell me if my trashcans are in their place, and remind me to take them out if I got home late the day before trash day.  I need some custom abilities for that. 

dave w

• Community Organizer

Ohhhhh!  HomeSeer uses plugins!  I feel like an idiot.  I didn't fully understand.  I thought it could just do simple IO commands to a port on my PC that was hooked to a transmitter/CM15 whatever.  
You did not mention a CM15A before. Yes Homeseer can use the CM15A as the powerline interface. Unlike AHP, Homeseer can monitor all 256 X10 control codes and has unlimited flags. However X10 security modules transmit a non-standard "security" X10 code which is why you need the plug-in. AHP requires a plug-in (On Alert) to decode X10 security commands also.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 04:00:07 PM by dave w »

Mysticle31

OK.  Now I'm confused again.   I am using a CM11A to communicate over the powerlines  (I said CM15a, it was a mistake.  I'm new to the product lingo)  I would also like to use a CM19a or MR26a with Door Switches and Motion Detectors.

So It would go Motion Detector >--RF Transiver--> PC >--CM15a--> Light on.  What I'm confused on is which RF transever to use.  I'd like to keep the cost down.  It's a smaller home so I'm not too concerned about range. 

I can either use the universal 315mhz motion detectors and door sensors or the X10 ones.  I think the X10 ones are a little better also I woudn't have to write as much code (which I'm not the best at yet)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

Some software will have to decode the security type X10 message from the door and motion sensors. To trigger the CM11A to send an X10 power line signal.
The security motion and door sensors send a check in message around once an hour. To allow the console to detect a problem with a sensor.

Regular X10 motion sensors send a standard X10 message. Like the default. A1 On motion detected. A2 Off no motion time out. A2 On Dusk Detected. A2 Off dawn detected.

http://software.x10.com/pub/manuals/cm11a_protocol.txt
http://www.davehouston.net/rf.htm
http://www.x10.com/support/technology1.htm

dave w

• Community Organizer

OK.  Now I'm confused again.   I am using a CM11A to communicate over the powerlines  (I said CM15a, it was a mistake.  I'm new to the product lingo)  I would also like to use a CM19a or MR26a with Door Switches and Motion Detectors.

So It would go Motion Detector >--RF Transiver--> PC >--CM15a--> Light on.  What I'm confused on is which RF transever to use.  I'd like to keep the cost down.  It's a smaller home so I'm not too concerned about range. 

I can either use the universal 315mhz motion detectors and door sensors or the X10 ones.  I think the X10 ones are a little better also I woudn't have to write as much code (which I'm not the best at yet)
You can't use TWO interfaces with Homeseer (you are talking CM11A for PLC and and CM19 for RF, or are you going to use a transceiver to convert RF to PLC??).. Homeseer interfaces to CM11A for PLC. Obviously 315mHz is not X10 so can't help you there.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.