Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: was "Disable RF signal receiving on CM15A"  (Read 14598 times)

jclarkw

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: was "Disable RF signal receiving on CM15A"
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 02:36:40 PM »

>>I will look at the attached doc file.<<

Great!  Note that there is an (almost) repeating pattern of 8 command fragments, whatever that means.

>>1) I know the JV Engineering XTB-IIR is the gold standard coupler repeater. Others with the ACT models should give you model numbers. I have
seen CR134 and CR234 models mentioned.<<

Thanks!  This is probably worth a try.  I also have a new CM15A on order (now back-ordered at X10 again!), so I can compare behavior when that arrives...)

>>2) ...Since it only seems to happen with RF commands...<<

Not so.  Same thing happens with commands issued by a wired keypad. -- jclarkw

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 03:10:29 PM »

Will be interesting to see if another CM15A does anything different.
You may want to turn off the Leviton Repeater and see if anything changes.

jclarkw

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 03:13:32 PM »

Most remotes send 5 or more copies of RF commands...
The best approach would be to ditch the TM751 and improve the antenna on the CM15A as I and Noam suggested earlier. That, at least, gives a clear starting point for troubleshooting...

dhouston -- As I reported above, after surgery my first test was with the CM15A receiver enabled, the TM751 unplugged, and the RF remote keyed close to the CM15A's inadequate antenna.  This caused all of the same malfunctions as with RF through the TM751 (receiver disabled) or with the wired remote (MC10A).

My Power Line Signal Analyzer (Monterey Instruments) reports no repeat codes issued by either the MC10A or the TM751.  (Of course the second set of 11 cycles has been amplified by the phase coupler.) -- jclarkw
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 04:15:30 PM by jclarkw »

jclarkw

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 04:12:53 PM »

...You may want to turn off the Leviton Repeater and see if anything changes.

Good thought!  Unfortunately the logging behavior is the same with the phase coupler off.

One more thing I noticed:  After the Activity Log locks up on remote commands (it continues logging direct ActiveHome commands and macros but NOT macros stored in the CM15A), if I quit the ActiveHome Pro software and then re-start it (just clearing the history isn't enough), the log starts working again.  After logging a few commands, however,  I get just one last command fragment logged and it locks up again.  This last logged fragment does, in fact, represent the first half (e.g. "G4") of the issued command, the second half (e.g., "GON") being missing every time it locks up.

The fact that quitting and re-starting ActiveHome gets the logging started again temporarily (not to mention that all of the commands are actually getting executed whether logged or not) strongly suggests that I have a software problem, not a hardware problem, does it not?

But changing the software version (still running 3.10, as suggested by Dan at http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=27918.msg156707#msg156707) hasn't helped.  Are there any other programs I might be running that are known to interfere with ActiveHome Pro on a Windows XP SP3 system?

Regards. -- jclarkw
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 04:14:38 PM by jclarkw »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2013, 04:24:02 PM »

Are there any other programs I might be running that are known to interfere with ActiveHome Pro on a Windows XP SP3 system?
I have been watching this thread with interest, thinking same as dhouston, that you were chasing gremlins or you have a problem with the CM15A (which I still lean towards) but would be easy to eliminate any background programs conflicting with AHP, through Task Manager or restart Windows in the clean mode.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2013, 11:24:15 PM »

I'd still suspect the CM15A is the problem.
Instead of restarting AHP to correct the logging issue, have you tried unplugging the USB, and plugging it back in? If something is locking up in the CM15A, that might get us more data points (I don't know what the more data would tell us, but it would be more data to look at).

Is your CM15A connection over a long USB cable (over 16 feet)? From my own experience, that can cause interference that causes the CM15A to partially lose the connection to the PC, but the PC doesn't always know (so it keeps logging activities triggered from within AHP).

I still would suspect your specific CM15A unit is the problem.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2013, 06:17:16 AM »

I think there is a strong clue in the OP's first post where he wrote, "When I opened the CM15A box...". Apparently this all started after he decided to fix his CM15A range issues.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

jclarkw

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2013, 10:35:24 AM »

Instead of restarting AHP to correct the logging issue, have you tried unplugging the USB, and plugging it back in?

Thanks for yet another good suggestion.  Sorry to be non-responsive, but I'm presently buried in a different project.

In spite of Mr. Houston's disparaging opinion, any malfunction of my current CM15A originated at X10.  Given my work load and the fact that I have another unit on back-order, I'll probably try the substitution first... -- jclarkw
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.