Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Increase RF signal DS12As antenna modification  (Read 15545 times)

lviper

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 10
Re: Increase RF signal DS12As antenna modification
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 08:51:41 AM »

Have you thought about getting one of the new signal repeaters? I picked up a couple when they first came back and it has fixed my problem of a MS16a outside on my porch. I didn't have an outlet close to the wall near the sensor so I ran a short extension cord so I could place the repeater on the inside wall as close to the sensor as I could. The result is constant reliability. These repeaters also repeat security sensors so it might be worth a try to bridge the gap between the two.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 09:01:20 AM »

Oh I had forgotten about the new X10 repeater.   ???
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/SR751

woodyl

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 09:19:48 AM »

Have you thought about getting one of the new signal repeaters? I picked up a couple when they first came back and it has fixed my problem of a MS16a outside on my porch. I didn't have an outlet close to the wall near the sensor so I ran a short extension cord so I could place the repeater on the inside wall as close to the sensor as I could. The result is constant reliability. These repeaters also repeat security sensors so it might be worth a try to bridge the gap between the two.

Oh! I didn't know about this repeater.  I'm amazed that there's any new X10 equipment.  I thought the whole product had been pretty much abandoned.  This might be just what I need.  I'll check it out.  Thanks for the info!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 02:15:24 PM »

Here is a thread on the new X10 repeater.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=28930.0

They are also working on an X10 WiFi module.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=28628.0
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 03:17:21 PM by Brian H »

woodyl

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2015, 04:33:49 PM »

Here is a thread on the new X10 repeater.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=28930.0

They are also working on an X10 WiFi module.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=28628.0

Good to know.  I'd be happy to see some revived interest in X10 hardware.  X10 has its issues, but it's a great ecosystem and the most cost-effective hardware out there.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 07:47:28 PM »

Yes. It is good news that there are new X10 devices being sold or in the development stage.
Some vendors like ACT. Have discontinued their product line for X10/A10 modules.
Smartlabs has removed X10 compatibility from their latest Insteon Modules also.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2015, 06:38:21 PM »

I'm assuming this is because the large metal body of the mail truck reflects the signal back toward the antenna attached to the CM19A.  The sensor is right at the edge of the distance limit, so that little bit of assistance is enough to make it work.
Since you are right on the cusp reception wise, does brand spany new alkaline AAs improve your transmission reliability? If so, try Lithium AAs. They hold their terminal voltage better than alkaline.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

woodyl

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2015, 08:54:47 PM »

I'm assuming this is because the large metal body of the mail truck reflects the signal back toward the antenna attached to the CM19A.  The sensor is right at the edge of the distance limit, so that little bit of assistance is enough to make it work.
Since you are right on the cusp reception wise, does brand spany new alkaline AAs improve your transmission reliability? If so, try Lithium AAs. They hold their terminal voltage better than alkaline.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Today I dismantled the contraption and changed the antenna configuration.  This seems to have done the trick.  I think the problem was caused by crossing the long antenna wire over the leads that go to the magnetic switch.  This must have interfered with the antenna.  I separated them and pointed the antenna away from the switch leads.

Also I said before that I used a 9" (quarter wave) antenna.  I checked it and I had actually made it 18" (a half wave).  I don't know for sure that the longer antenna is better.  The antenna at the transceiver is a quarter wave design.  I don't know if it matters if they're matched or not. Maybe somebody who knows more about RF design can enlighten me. 
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.