Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WS12A problem  (Read 3042 times)

Qman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
WS12A problem
« on: January 27, 2013, 08:49:50 PM »

Ok, after a month of not working and several weekends of unsuccessful experiments, I'm ready to cave in and ask for help.

I have a light on my mailbox that, according to my HOA, is supposed to be lit at night.
I had a WS12a controlling it for more than 5 years (first with a CM11A then with a CM15A)..

I left AZ for 6 weeks to visit and eventually put to rest my mother-in-law on the east coast, and when I returned, the light no longer worked.
I ordered a new WS12A, but this was a soft start, and I'm pretty sure my original was a hard start.

This isn't totally new to me, as I had added soft starts to control other lights, but only after many days of trying to tell AHP that the WS12A was
other devices. I finally found one that worked (Leviton 6381), at least for the most part.

For some reason, these (WS12A)lights controlled by the virtual 6381, only come on at the last manual setting, but that is not what I'm here to ask about.

After installing the new soft-start WS12A in the mailbox circuit, of course it didn't work. I read many threads that said to install it as a LM14A,
but that did not work. In fact. every time I've assigned it to a different device. It completely stops working (even locally... i.e. even pushing the switch does not make the light come on). It remains inactive until I try it the next day, and then it's back to normal (locally and remotely)

So after more research. I find that I can download updates to AHP. I had 3.236, and I downloaded 3.318, even though AHP told me that 3.236 was the latest and greatest.

So now I'm looking at the version descriptions, and I see nothing about WS12A problems being resolved. Now I'm scared to do any more programming,
thinking that I've already lost my mailbox light, but might lose all others as well.

Can ypu help me out with this?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: WS12A problem
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 06:13:21 AM »

3.318 Has two lamp tabs. Older Before Soft Start Lamp Modules and one labeled Lamp Modules.
If your new one is soft start. Where it ramps On and Off. Not instantly On and Off. Define it from the Lamps Tab not the before.
Since you where using the workaround for soft start I would redefine it and try again.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Newer_Wall_Switches_and_Preset_Dim
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Newer_WS467s_and_Preset_Dim#Controlling_From_Current_Versions_of_Active_Home_Pro

Qman

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »

Brian H.

I'm not sure how to use these little emoticons at the top of my screen, I've tried once, and that was enough.

I took you advice, and everything still appears to work as programmed, and the mailbox light came on as expected.

Thanks for your help! Sorry it was so easy for you :-) ,I just had to add my own emoticon.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 06:07:00 AM »

I am glad it is working for you now.
The changes in the  later AHP causing Lamp Module and Dimmer Switch problems is common.
The fact that X10 didn't change the part numbers on the soft start models doesn't make it any easier.

babybearjs

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 01:07:25 AM »

now this is interesting.... I'm having the same problem with my WS12A.... I bought it back in 2008, had in in my old house, when we sold the house in 2010 I pulled all my X10 modules out and saved them until my new place in 2012... I reinstalled the unit in my diningroom and it started to work fine, then a couple of weeks ago it would'nt turn on with the timer settings in my AHP CM15A unit, now the tabletop unit can't controll it right... though I have full controll through the handheld remote... do these units start to fail after awhile? I noticed that the light kind of "throbbed" to the current and now the unit works locally, came on alright with the CM15.... but has intermitten issues... should I order another one and replace it, or is it the noise on the powerline... its on the same circuit as my computer, so the signals should be working OK..... what do you suggest??

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 06:10:29 AM »

Is the handheld remote using the CM15A as its transceiver or do you have other transceivers in the home?

Anything change in the house electrically? New electronic gadget or moved an existing one.

The problem ACT coupler you indicated in another thread. What model is it? As ACT made a passive coupler and a whole model line of active coupler repeaters.

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://www.act-remote.com/PCC/uncle.htm
http://www.davehouston.net/

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 07:30:42 AM »

I noticed that the light kind of "throbbed" to the current

Are you using incandescent lamps or CFLs?

CFLs can show that throbbing when used with anything other than a regular ON/OFF switch. If you use a CFL with an illuminated ON/OFF switch both the lamp and the switch may pulse.

Or leprechauns :)
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 09:13:39 AM »

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.