Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: IP Cameras and Vonage  (Read 2978 times)

OHsubeGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
IP Cameras and Vonage
« on: January 29, 2013, 03:38:58 PM »

Is anyone successfully using X10 IP cameras (xx39A) with Vonage? Here is my current network setup and I am not able to view my (2) xx39A cameras from the internet.

ISP > cable modem > Vonage box > Linksys E2000 router > (wireless) cameras. 

I have port forwarding setup on the Linksys for the cameras. But what I am finding out today, and I will need to confirm this on my Vonage box, the LAN subnet IDs are different between Vonage and Linksys. I'm seeing on the Vonage site the LAN IPs are 192.168.15.x and on my home LAN the network IPs are 192.168.1.x.  I don't think I can port forward from the Vonage box to the Linksys. Need to investigate. Or maybe change my home LAN IPs to the 192.168.15.x scheme.

So, If anyone has a similar setup and it is working, I would love to know how you are doing it!  PLEASE!!!

Steve

richy2

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Re: IP Cameras and Vonage
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 09:58:08 PM »

Steve

I think you have change something

it should be

ISP > cable modem > Linksys E2000 router > Vonage box ... if you re using the camera wirelessly, it shouldn't be connected to anything ( like your laptop is connected wireless.

If you're connecting your camera wired  then it should be
ISP > cable modem > Linksys E2000 router >  cameras in i port of the router
                                                                >  Vonage box in another port of router.

I have a cable modem and use Linksys e2500 with four ports
ISP > cable modem > Linksys e2500   > xx40 Airsight PTZ camera ( works wired & wirelessly) port1
                                                        > DirecTV Box port2
                                                        > XBox port 3
                                                        > THIS PORT IS EMPTY ( if i had vonage i woiuld connect the box here )

OHsubeGuy

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 01:34:56 PM »

richy2 ...

I had contacted Vonage Tech Support and they basically said the same thing you did. ISP > cable modem > Linksys Router > and from the router cable the Vonage adapter and any other devices. So, I will reconfig my network at home and have a friend try and view my wireless IP cameras.

Thanks for your response.

OHsubeGuy

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 01:07:35 PM »

FYI .... to anyone else using Vonage and wanting IP cameras to work ....

Configure your home network in the following way:
ISP > cable modem > your router > Vonage adapter > IP devices.

My cameras (xx39As) are now accessible from the internet. If you are using IE, the computer you are using to view your cameras from the internet will need to have that wonderful ActiveX Control installed. My brother-in-law got to my camera, got the signon screen, entered the user id and password and then got the error about the ActiveX Control not being installed. That's minor though, but could be a show stopper if you're away from home and wanting to check on things.

Now it's time to move on and get connected using a mobile device. Not really looking forward to this!  Anyone have some good recommendations?

OHsubeGuy

richy2

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 02:52:19 PM »

FYI .... to anyone else using Vonage and wanting IP cameras to work ....

My brother-in-law got to my camera, got the signon screen, entered the user id and password and then got the error about the ActiveX Control not being installed. That's minor though, but could be a show stopper if you're away from home and wanting to check on things.

OHsubeGuy

Did you create a guess / password account or admin / password for your brother?

Did he use IE ( which needs ACTIVE X) or one of the other browsers ( FireFox, Chrome etc)?

For your mobile viewing.. Not sure if you re a APPLE OR ANDROID user but IP Camera Viewer Basic ( not the lite) in the Android market by Robert Chou is my recommended mobile.

OHsubeGuy

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »

I did set up a Guest account for my brother-in-law. When you do that, whoever uses that account only has the ability to view what the camera is pointing at. They cannot move the camera around or alter any settings of the camera. I tested this out myself while on my home network. I typed http://<camera IP address:port# in the IE address bar. When the logon screen for the camera came up, I used the guest account that I created. I was able to see what the camera was pointing at. I could not move the camera around or getting to any of the Settings screens.

My brother-in-law was using IE. I informed him he would probably have to load the ActiveX Control for viewing.

I am an Apple user but I don't have an iPhone nor do I have a smart phone. I would be viewing via the iPad. Haven't really spent any time searching for apps due to the issues with getting the cameras online to the web. Now that is fixed, I can start app searching.

Will also start working on setting up alarming and emailing. I have setup email but the test fails. Do you have any tips for getting email setup for alerts?

OHsubeGuy

OHsubeGuy

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 07:15:44 PM »

I just used my iPad to get to my camera. I am at home on my own network but I used my DDNS host name and camera port#, got the signon, signed in with my Guest account and checked Mobile. I'm viewing my camera that is in the living room from my family room downstairs.

Called my nephew and had him try from his iPad mini. Same method as above and he is viewing my camera. Both of us are using Safari.

OHsubeGuy

richy2

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 10:23:47 PM »

Will also start working on setting up alarming and emailing. I have setup email but the test fails. Do you have any tips for getting email setup for alerts?

OHsubeGuy

Depending on your email providered, you basically need to know the smtp server port#

I use gmail and i have mines set up like this
Sender gmailusername@gmail.com
Receiver 1 gmailusername@gmail.com
Receiver 2
Receiver 3
Receiver 4

SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP PORT: 465
Transport Layer Security Protocol:  TLS

Need Authentication CHECKED BOX

SMTP User: gmail user name@gmail.com
SMTP password: password to login gmail ( or your hotmail, godaddy mail etc)

Report Internet IP by Mail - enable if you want emails when your motion or alarm feature is activated from motion.

Click submit first then click test, it will get either a succed screen or failed screen.

If failed make sure the port for your email client is correct.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

FOR FTP UPLOAD TO YOUR SITE
FTP Server is ftp.YOURDOMAINNAME.com
FTP Port is: 21
FTP user is: username you use to login to upload files in your ftp program like coreftp.
FTP password: password you use to login to upload files in your ftp program like coreftp

FTP Upload folder: AIRSIGHT
( Make sure you create a folder to upload your recorded video / pictures for your camera.. as you see i named mines AIRSIGHT)

FTP MODE:PASV
Make sure you click submit first before you click test
Upload Image Now: your choice

LAST BUT JUST AS IMPORTANT: once its working to your liking, use the backup feature an backup your settings just in case

FYI.. i am no tech guy, i also had trouble setting up my camera in the beginning, read the forum, did some googling, and trial an error got me up an running.

OHsubeGuy

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 01:45:22 PM »

Thanks for all the info, but those are all settings that I have tried. I've tried several documented port#s from the Yahoo site and still no success. So I'm at a loss. I emailed X10 Support so we'll see what they say.

Good idea about backing up settings, thanks! Will post what X10 comes back with.

OHsubeGuy

richy2

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 08:00:56 PM »

Thanks for all the info, but those are all settings that I have tried. I've tried several documented port#s from the Yahoo site and still no success. So I'm at a loss. I emailed X10 Support so we'll see what they say.

Good idea about backing up settings, thanks! Will post what X10 comes back with.

OHsubeGuy

I don't know if i would even consider using YAHOO mail for this.
Below is a reprint of what i googled up.

"It may seem like they are jerking you around, but it's pretty common to block port 25 on a network. There are a lot of virus's out there that take over your PC and start using it to send out SPAM, or try to infect other PC's through email. By blocking SMTP traffic (port 25) they are preventing that from happening. You may still become a victim of a virus, but it will not be able to spread by email.

They are offering you an alternate port for sending your mail but as you have found it doesn't work for receiving any. There is really nothing you can do about this, as your ISP doesn't want you to act as a mail server.

anyway..

what ISP do you use? If its Optimum (a.k.a Time Warner ) do they give you email account?

Are you using your ISP email? Are the ports you're using blocked on your ISP by default? 
(On mines, Optimum Online port 80 and port 25 are blocked by default.)

Have you tried another email client?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 11:25:27 AM »

Isn't Vonage for phone service?  It should not bother an  IP Camera. 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

richy2

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 11:52:28 AM »

Isn't Vonage for phone service?  It should not bother an  IP Camera. 

Look at his original setup above..

Look at my correction of his setup

Look at his reply from his phone company

Yes Vonage is his phone service.. he just had the Vonage box an Router in the wrong setup.

OHsubeGuy

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 08:33:39 AM »

@Dan .... richy2's post is correct. Vonage is my phone service but my IP cameras were indirectly affected by where I had placed the Vonage adapter. Once I moved the Vonage adapter to come after the Linksys router, my IP cameras were viewable from the internet.

@richy2 ... My ISP is Insight. I did not ask them about port 25 but what you say makes sense. My ISP does provide an email address and I should probably try that. I don't remember the last time I actually checked that email account. Some time ago I had created a gmail account for some reason, but as with the Insight account, I've not checked the gmail account in quite some time. Personally I don't like having numerous email accounts to check and maintain. But it appears that I may have to start using the gmail account with the cameras I have.

I believe X10 Support told me capturing to Gmail works pretty consistently. So I will probably test that out in the next couple of days.

OHsubeGuy

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.