Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can't record video  (Read 2899 times)

Miketzaa

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Can't record video
« on: February 14, 2013, 10:33:11 PM »

We have an XX36A which has been working for a year or two.  Recently, however, when an alarm is detected (motion in the picture) it is not recording.  We've tried changing the path.  The web interface sounds the alarm and indicates that the camera is recording with the red circle under the picture but the files is not saved to the computer at the set path (or anywhere else, we've searched).  It will also not record if we manually click the record button.

I was going to try upgrading the firmware but I don't see any downloads for this model.  It's currently at version 17.35.2.41 and the web ui version is 20.8.3.81.

We've tried using IE 7 and 8 on windows XP.  We have tried disabling the firewall and that has not helped.  We've rebooted the camera as well as restored a backup of camera settings from several months ago when it was working properly.

If anyone has any suggestions we'd be grateful, thanks!

richy2

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Re: Can't record video
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 09:43:57 AM »

Try adding the cameras IP address in your browers trusted sites section.

IE internet options>secutiry> highlight Triusted sites .. click sites... uncheck box if needed .. add camera IP

Miketzaa

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 11:06:45 PM »

Unchecked the box - left the IP camera address there - re-booted the computer tried again - camera comes up ok with a good picture, and on motion sounds alarm and red camera record lite on the screen comes on, Windows explorer opens up to the set path location -- but no file is written and if you use stop on the camera screen picture stops but red record button stays on and i cannot get it to turn off.
Any thing else I can try ?
Thanks very much for your effort. miketzaa

richy2

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 12:08:48 AM »

Unchecked the box - left the IP camera address there - re-booted the computer tried again - camera comes up ok with a good picture, and on motion sounds alarm and red camera record lite on the screen comes on, Windows explorer opens up to the set path location -- but no file is written and if you use stop on the camera screen picture stops but red record button stays on and i cannot get it to turn off.
Any thing else I can try ?
Thanks very much for your effort. miketzaa

Note: The current firmware is correct.

Are you talking about when motion is detected the red light next to the word record or the lower left of the video screen?

The red flashing icon stops by itself after about 1 minute.

If If you have motion detection armed.. pressing stop will stop the record red light and cut off the video ( note you can press the word record to stop the video also)
If you have the motion detection armed...and it detects motion..the record red comes on..the red light in the lower left of video flashes. This will flash for about 1 minute and stop by itself.

I found out as long as there is motion, i have a lot of foot traffic, cars going by.. and probably the branchs on the tree within range moving sets my motion detecting going.

Lets try again

IE > Internet Options > Security > Trusted Sites > site > Camera IP > Uncheck Box > Add > close >Click Ok

Before you do anyting else go to your camera UI > System > Backup & Restore and restore your original path settings and save them on your computer

then go to you Camera UI > Other > Path settings and note where your pictures & video will be saved to.

I changed mines to my microsd card but if i remember, your video and pictures will be saved on your c drive in
C:\users\public\documents

Check your local drive it could of saved somewhere else, check your path settings where.

I did have port forwarding on my Linksys E2500 router and I also had to open port 80 on my Optimum-Online Arris Modem TM22.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 12:44:01 AM by richy2 »

Miketzaa

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 10:41:59 AM »

I am saying when motion is detected the red light (Camera Icon turns red) next to the word record. This is located at top right side of screen.
When there is motion,the camera sounds alarm and red camera record lite on the screen comes on, Windows explorer opens up to the set path location -- but no file is written and if you use stop on the camera screen picture stops but red record button stays on and i cannot get it to turn off.

Your statement "If If you have motion detection armed.. pressing stop will stop the record red light and cut off the video ( note you can press the word record to stop the video also)"
Used to be true -- but is not so now.
I cannot stop the record at all and no file is written to.

If you have the motion detection armed...and it detects motion..the record red comes on..the red light in the lower left of video flashes. This will flash for about 1 minute and stop by itself.
This is true and it happens.

I turned off all security in Nortons tried camera with motion Same results as above
Suggestions please !! and Thanks Miketzaa

richy2

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 03:09:13 PM »

I think i got you now..

When i did use the motion armed feature..

click on other>Alarm services setting>Uncheck motin detect armed>submit.

also.. the red light flashes ( not the one next to the word record ) if i only had motion detected armed > check box in sound on alarm > and recording on alarm is NOT CHECKED.

I simply had to reset everytime motion was detected.

Question?

Does your computer make a beeping sound when motion is detected?
       Mines sometimes it does.. sometimes it doesn't

Miketzaa

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 07:34:44 PM »

click on other>Alarm services setting>Uncheck motin detect armed>submit
I did this. I got a picture but no motion alarm either sound or record. 
I set Motion Detect Armed checked again the way I have always had it when it was working.
Alarm Input Armed is Not Checked
IO Linkage on Alarm Is Not Checked
Sound on Alarm  is Checked 
Record on Alarm is checked   
In RE: Your Question?
Does your computer make a beeping sound when motion is detected?
Yes it beeps anytime motion is detected and as long as the red light in the lower right corner of my computer is flashing.
Once there is a detected motion 1) i hear the beeping, 2) the red light in bottom left starts a slow flashing, 3) windows explorer opens to the save file path, 4) the camera icon in top right corner turns red and stays on.

Stop will not turn the red icon off and clicking on the red icon will not stop the attempt to record  and  yet I get no output file !!
Thanks again for trying to help me miketzaa

richy2

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 12:14:55 PM »

Hmmm..
( everything below i wrote not realizing that you may be using the IPCamera Client.. I have been giving you suggestions using the IPCamera Tool.. my bad.. I just now started fooling around with the IPCamera client. )

You wrote:
Yes it beeps anytime motion is detected and as long as the red light in the lower right corner of my computer is flashing.

The lower right on mines is actually the OSD i have the color set as white which displays the Day Month Date Time Year.
There are 9 little circles under the video screen that are either Grey ( no camera/video) or Green (camera/video on).

The first circle is Green and begins to flash if my motion detect is armed.

In the past before i changed my path from the computers C drive to my MicroSD Card Drive ( G), my Internet Explorer window pop up without a video.

TIP:
if yours worked before, and not recording
1) Insert a CD or MicroSD and try changing your path to record on one of those.
     Before i added my camera to my IE options > security > trusted site....i could not change path...Once added the IE options Trusted site my camera IP.. the IE window stop popping up when motion was detected, video was record correctly on the original path settings. Is your original path setting c:\users\public\documents? If yes... that should be where your video was recorded.

Try clicking on local disk > Users > public > public documents

2) If you can, which is what i had the problem with even after i had set the trusted site, i had to open my port on my Optimum Online modem.
    Try opening your ports on both your modem an router if necessary.

The manual says don't ues port 80 but mines works using port 80.

I did have the exact same problem you have .. the advice i ve giving has got mines working EXCEPT the computer beeping does not work all the time.
UPDATE
I went an set my AIRSIGHT to the orignal path settings....and tried what you did...
RESULTS:
Motion Detect Armed> I let it record for the full minute both the record light is red, the lower left first circle flashes red and the lower right OSD i have active of the DAY, MONTH, TIME DATE YEAR is in white is flashing. The record light and flashing red light stop within the minute.  IE window pops up with the recorded video

NOTE: I ALSO HAD THE PRESET ACTIVE..camera pan to the preset position.

I waited until motion was detected again..same results.

then
I changed the preset only and waited for motion to be detected....same results and this time i press the record button..
RESULTS:
Red light next to record turned off.....Lower left flashing red light did not stop. IE window again pops up with the recorded video.

Went back to reset preset and this time press the stop button...
RESULTS:
Record light turned off... Video turned off... Lower left flashing red light only stop after about a minute.

SUGGESTION.
if everything you tried fails.. if possbile.. delete software.. reinstall.. if you did that before. my last step... which i done i reset my computer to the factory settings and started from the begining installing the cam..

You may be able to also go to a restore point on your computer when the camera worked correctly.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:30:54 PM by richy2 »

Miketzaa

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 06:55:54 PM »

I said

I should have said lower left corner -- sorry about that
You asked - Is your original path setting c:\users\public\documents? If yes... that should be where your video was recorded.

No there is no such path on my computer and I do not know the original path. What I have been doing is a file search of all drives like *.2013021707*.* after a file should have been written.  I consistently get no files found.
Thanks again - I'm still trying. Tomorrow a friend of mine is going to load the camera on a different computer to see if it will record there. Will advise results.

richy2

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 08:32:43 PM »

If you re using the IPcamera Tool -- go to other> Path settings >

Record Path C:\users\public\documents
Alarm Record Path C:\users\public\documents

Here is where you see two boxes where the files may being saved too.

Go to start>computer> click on computer > click on local disk and you should see a list of folders
if the record path is like my example C:\users\public\documents

double click on users > public > public documents should be where the video recorded too.

If you can not change the path by click on browse in path settings

Record Path C:\users\public\documents
Alarm Record Path C:\users\public\documents

If you are using port 80 make sure your modem and/or router has port 80 open or try changing your port to 8080
you will have to type the IPcamera addess with the 8080 for example http://IPcamera:8080

The troubleshooting section in the PDF for the camera was very helpful to get me up an recording.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.