Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Audio Question  (Read 2287 times)

dinosinc

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
    • My Beer Kegerator
Audio Question
« on: February 15, 2013, 01:39:52 PM »

X40 Cam
Want to plug in a small computer type speaker into audio output,wondering if the speaker will need it's own power source or will the cam drive it ?

richy2

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Re: Audio Question
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 07:45:15 PM »

X40 Cam
Want to plug in a small computer type speaker into audio output,wondering if the speaker will need it's own power source or will the cam drive it ?

Which camera are you talking about?

and another note:
I have the the Airsight PTZ camera which doesn't have a internal mic, so i had to buy a micro mic with its own power source to attach to the camera  which also is outside in order to hear whats said near the camera.

I would have to hook up a speaker outside, use my webcam mic or external mic to have a two way converstation with someone in range of the camera/mic.

dinosinc

• My Beer Kegerator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 08:13:17 PM »

I have the PTZ x40A
could you not hook up the mic to the audio IN and get power from the cam ?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 08:15:21 PM by dinosinc »

richy2

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 09:26:58 PM »

I have the PTZ x40A
could you not hook up the mic to the audio IN and get power from the cam ?
I tried .... without the mics power plug and it didn't work. Had to use the mics power plug.
The mic i used was a small micro mic from Amazon. I was able to hear what's said outside on my computer speakers.

If i was to hook up cable to the audio out on the camera and the other end to audio in on my TV, i would hear the sound thru the TV, record video on a microSD card and didn't have to buy a DVR.

I have a small netbook (because screen is broken) that i use, hook up to a 23" TV that i use as my cameras monitor. I have a laptop for my other internet needs. I keep a window on the laptop open with the camera software running so i can at least PTZ without having to go to the netbook or i'll use my phone or tablet.

FYI:
If you click on the pic below, you can actually read the sign on the tow truck. The camera is not zoom in.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:29:43 PM by richy2 »

dinosinc

• My Beer Kegerator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 10:07:18 PM »

Interesting, Im going to try a pc mic that has a 3.5MM plug and add a 3.5 to rca adapter and see if that works..

richy2

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 12:19:40 AM »

Interesting, Im going to try a pc mic that has a 3.5MM plug and add a 3.5 to rca adapter and see if that works..

Are you trying to hear whats near the camera?

and/or

if you re at a remote location, lets say on your office and you want to have a two way chat with the person standing at your front door?

If yes, i think your computer webcam should have a built in mic or a external webcam/mic should work, but you would need a speaker lets say hanging next to your door bell plugged into the audio out on the PTZ camera.

My only concern, would the camera be able to power the speaker. i doubt it.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 06:23:36 AM »

dinosinc; Most PC Microphones have a 3.5mm stereo type connector.
One connection is the audio out the second one is a power input through a bias resistor.
A 3.5mm to RCA cable may not work.
http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/computer_microphone.php

richy2

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 02:50:02 PM »

UPdate:

This is the type mic i purchased from Amazon

VideoSecu High Sensitive Audio Pickup Device External Amplified Tiny Spy Microphone for CCTV Security Camera with Free Warning Decal WD6

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Sensitive-External-Amplified-Microphone/dp/B0053V5Z9W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361044035&sr=8-1&keywords=VideoSecu+High+Sensitive+Audio+Pickup+Device+External+Amplified+Tiny+Spy+Microphone+for+CCTV+Security+Camera+with+Free+Warning+Decal+WD6

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.