Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Internet Explorer and Mobile Signon Option  (Read 1797 times)

OHsubeGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Internet Explorer and Mobile Signon Option
« on: February 18, 2013, 10:26:53 AM »

I stumbled across something interesting the other day.

I was out of town at my sister's house. Wanted to show her the cameras (xx39A) that I had set up. So got on her Windows laptop, brought up Internet Explorer, typed in the web address of one of the cameras and of course got that annoying error regarding the ActiveX control. Then I had this thought. I closed the IE window and restarted it. Entered my camera address and then clicked the Mobile phone option on the camera signon screen .... and there was my camera.

There is a drawback to this. If you are signing on with your admin account, there is some functionality that is lost. For example, I can't turn audio on/off. And there are some other issues. But if you want a quick view of your camera and can't get the ActiveX control installed and/or you are not permitted to install it (like on a work computer), then this may be an option.

One other thought, I did not port forward port 2012 so I wonder if that has anything to do with the lost functionality having selected the Mobile phone option at camera signon?

Try it out. Would like to hear what other think and/or experience.

OHsubeGuy

richy2

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Re: Internet Explorer and Mobile Signon Option
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 02:43:29 PM »

I was out of town at my sister's house. Wanted to show her the cameras (xx39A) that I had set up. So got on her Windows laptop, brought up Internet Explorer, typed in the web address of one of the cameras and of course got that annoying error regarding the ActiveX control. Then I had this thought. I closed the IE window and restarted it. Entered my camera address and then clicked the Mobile phone option on the camera signon screen .... and there was my camera.

There is a drawback to this. If you are signing on with your admin account, there is some functionality that is lost. For example, I can't turn audio on/off. And there are some other issues. But if you want a quick view of your camera and can't get the ActiveX control installed and/or you are not permitted to install it (like on a work computer), then this may be an option.

One other thought, I did not port forward port 2012 so I wonder if that has anything to do with the lost functionality having selected the Mobile phone option at camera signon?

OHsubeGuy

This is a reply from one of my post asking about PORT FORWARDING viewing my IPcamera Video using my cell phone networks 3g/4g as if i couldn't get a WiFi HotSpot.

REPRINT REPLY:
[ Yes, you will need to enable port forwarding on your router. Once this is done you will be able to view the camera on any internet enabled device. You will connect to the camera by using the address that is on a label attached the the camera. It will look something like this xxxxx.xipcam.com }]

I use previously a app from the Android market IPCamera Basic by Robert Chou but wanted to see if my cell phone network would work if i couldn't get a WiFi connection... and yes it works.

OHsubeGuy, did you try using your cell phone/tablet out of house? without using a wifi hotspot connection

OHsubeGuy

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 08:07:48 AM »

richy2 ....

My ipad is only wifi enabled, no 3g/4g. I have to use a wifi hotspot with it.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 11:52:48 AM »

OHsubeGuy

The mobile option does not have all of the functionality of the Active X control. This is normal.

OHsubeGuy

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 12:33:59 PM »

Thank you X10 Support for the update.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.