Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Accessing my Airsight Outdoor IP Cameras via internet  (Read 3703 times)

Maltby

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Accessing my Airsight Outdoor IP Cameras via internet
« on: February 18, 2013, 12:54:24 PM »

Hi..I am very new to this.  I have successfully installed my four cameras and can view them on the LAN.  With the help of CISCO Linksys (using EA6500 router, I have successfully forwarded all four ports.  I am running Norton Antivirus and Windows 7.

I did an open port check and it timed out..so that would indicate that a firewall is blocking. I haven't a clue what to change or what to do next because I don't want to open myself to hackers by disabling a firewall. 

Frankly, when I start reading how to set this up my mind gets boggled with all the different settings etc.   I am stumped as to how to proceed.

richy2

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Re: Accessing my Airsight Outdoor IP Cameras via internet
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 02:48:49 PM »

Hi..I am very new to this.  I have successfully installed my four cameras and can view them on the LAN.  With the help of CISCO Linksys (using EA6500 router, I have successfully forwarded all four ports.  I am running Norton Antivirus and Windows 7.

I did an open port check and it timed out..so that would indicate that a firewall is blocking. I haven't a clue what to change or what to do next because I don't want to open myself to hackers by disabling a firewall.  

Frankly, when I start reading how to set this up my mind gets boggled with all the different settings etc.   I am stumped as to how to proceed.

hi, you can find a easy to use website for any router to set up port forwarding without disabling your firewall.
 I have a linksys router e2500 .. i used this site Port Forwarding http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

Pretty much they quide u step by step with the type router you have and what to change and where.
They also have a pretty detail explaintion how port forwarding works.
Also a section how to port forward anything else, like xbox.. or a specific xbox game that may need portforwarding..

Very informative site.

P.S.
I don't have 4 cameras but i did have to open ports on my Cable modem as well as i had port forwarding on my router.
Reason being i could not change my path settings from the default in the camera software and a few other controls.
So i have port forwarding on my router and modem open.. btw i am using port 80.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 02:51:51 PM by richy2 »

Maltby

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 05:26:02 PM »

Thanks Richy2...this is where I get lost.  I have forwarded the ports successfully with the help of Cisco support, so I am confident that part is okay.  But I don't understand "opening ports" on my modem or anywhere. How is this done and how do I find out how to do this?

My camera's fixed ports are 192.168.1.XXX:XXXX  CISCO had me forward the ports for each camera as follows: XXXX  to XXXX.

they said nothing about port 80.  Do I understand that I need to forward port 80 to each camera's XXXX?  and how do I open a port on my modem. Do I need to get in touch with my ISP, namely COMCAST?

richy2

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 12:14:08 PM »

Thanks Richy2...this is where I get lost.  I have forwarded the ports successfully with the help of Cisco support, so I am confident that part is okay.  But I don't understand "opening ports" on my modem or anywhere. How is this done and how do I find out how to do this?

My camera's fixed ports are 192.168.1.XXX:XXXX  CISCO had me forward the ports for each camera as follows: XXXX  to XXXX.

they said nothing about port 80.  Do I understand that I need to forward port 80 to each camera's XXXX?  and how do I open a port on my modem. Do I need to get in touch with my ISP, namely COMCAST?
First things first.. I went to the website PortForwarding.com and tried to look up your router EA6500 and could not find it listed.

Port 80 is normally open so if my camera ip is 192.168.1.xxx is the same as 192.168.1.xxx:80 so all i have to type is 192.168.1.xxx
the computer sees the port 80 so its normailly left off. Like i don't included http:// when i type a web address.

So no you should need to worry about port 80 for your cameras.

Your Modem/ISP is comcast which i assume is also the same as my Optimum-Online / ISP company.. own by the same TIME WARNER
You should have account to login to to check your email accounts that you may or may not have created an account for.. Or pay your ComCast bill thru their website.
Like my Optimum Online site is http://optimum.net.. Here i can log in .. use their emails/hosting, pay my bill etc.
I can also open/close port 80 for the internet and Port 25 for email if i use a email client like Outlook. If all this is confusiing.. i agree.

There is one more thing you can check go to your camera tool UI and look at
system link .. under device status  check

DDNS Status   xipcam.com  Succeed  http://exxxx.xipcam.com

Does your DDNS status show Succeed or Fail?

also found this
http://helpdesk.tzo.com/cgi-bin/kb.cgi?view=359&lang=en
and
how to open ports on a comcast router youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11UBaxdzPDw

Maltby

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 11:42:16 PM »

Still no luck accessing over the Internet....kind of gave up on it for now.  Thanks for the help though.  Now I have another problem which I will post separately.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.