Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: XX59A camera issues  (Read 8712 times)

philip.milazzo@gmail.com

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
XX59A camera issues
« on: March 24, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »

My pair of XX59A cameras seemed OK initially.

Now after a week of operation indoors, the pair have a variety of problems. One has a flaky Ethernet (wired) connection, one refuses to traverse the entire horizontal range and one fails the SMTP test. I've tried different ports on my residential gateway, multiple camera hardware resets, swapping Ethernet cables and re-entering my SMTP credentials. The same SMTP credentials and cables produce good results from one device so they ought to be good in the other.

Sure, in practical use, the cameras will be on my wireless network, but not during my burn-in period.

I like the collection of advertised features. If they worked reliably, I'd be sold on the product but features that don't work reliably (and for a long time) aren't features at all. At this point I'm concerned about quality control and long-term durability and undecided between a refund or two new replacements. I intend phoning tomorrow for an RMA.

My plan was eventually to have at least two cameras indoors and four outdoors. Now I hesitate to expand the system.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 06:37:44 PM by philip.milazzo@gmail.com »

JG1967

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: XX59A camera issues
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 07:47:01 PM »

I just ordered two of these cameras so I hope I don't have any problems like you described. They should be here early next week. Once they do I'll post how my set up goes.

josw71

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 10:54:51 AM »

Beware they have major firmware issues in opinion, and the are network hogs forget using them wirelessly. x10 says their fine I say the full of it. charging me restocking and shipping because their product wont work as advertised.

Coofball

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 01:55:49 PM »

I purchased one of these cams (xx59A) and found that you can only enter about 48 or 49 characters for the wireless encryption key.  My router is capable of 64 digits and I have been using a 60 digit key for years on everything else.  Here is the exact message I got back from x10 support:

> >> > I do apologize as there no firmware update to handle the 60 digit
> >> > encryption
> >> > you are using.

> >> The question is will there be an update to fix this problem? Has the
> >> manufacturer / programmer even been notified so they know it needs to be
> >> changed?

> > Greetings,
> >
> > There is no plan at this time to change the encryption format.

> Then I suggest that you clearly state this limitation in the website
> description so other people can avoid the same problem.
> Thanks for the info.

Greetings,

I will pass that feed back to a supervisor.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 06:17:22 PM »

> >> The question is will there be an update to fix this problem? Has the
> >> manufacturer / programmer even been notified so they know it needs to be
> >> changed?
I wouldn't hold my breath for this to happen. But I'm curious: why is 48 character encryption key a "problem"?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JG1967

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 01:02:51 PM »

Got my two xx59A cameras in the other day. One works beautifully the other is defective and needs to be sent back. Was on the phone with X10 tech for over an hour until they determined the camera is dead. I'm just waiting for my return auth to send the camera back and then get my replacement.

philip.milazzo@gmail.com

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 12:04:19 PM »

My experience so far has been less than stellar:

• ordered two xx59a cameras on March 14;
  • received them on March 15 or 16;
    • returned two defective cameras for replacement via RMA on March 26;
    • automated replacement order processed on March 29.

As of April 12, I'm still waiting. Customer Service has been apologizing and telling me "tomorrow" for several weeks. Today I dialed them at 9:02 AM Eastern Time and hung up without anyone taking my call at 9:56 AM. Meanwhile, I'd reached a chat rep who explained they were short-handed today but that they'd ship my cameras when they got restocked. I still get all the X10 "deal" messages inviting me to order xx59a cameras. I'll just wait for the two that I paid for last month.

I have patience and a sense of humor, but if this reaches the one-month point, I'm going to require a refund.

richy2

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 12:26:32 PM »

My experience so far has been less than stellar:

• ordered two xx59a cameras on March 14;
  • received them on March 15 or 16;
    • returned two defective cameras for replacement via RMA on March 26;
    • automated replacement order processed on March 29.

As of April 12, I'm still waiting. Customer Service has been apologizing and telling me "tomorrow" for several weeks. Today I dialed them at 9:02 AM Eastern Time and hung up without anyone taking my call at 9:56 AM. Meanwhile, I'd reached a chat rep who explained they were short-handed today but that they'd ship my cameras when they got restocked. I still get all the X10 "deal" messages inviting me to order xx59a cameras. I'll just wait for the two that I paid for last month.

I have patience and a sense of humor, but if this reaches the one-month point, I'm going to require a refund.
Hang in there... reps don't know %$#$# or they just won't tell you the freaking truth.

"YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH"

Well i could handle the truth when one rep finally tells me when they get another shipment from CHINA where these cameras are coming from. I rather the truth than being string along with tomorrow, its on its way, we are getting some today etc etc an so on.

FYI Reps.. most people probably would be like.. ok, i check back in a couple of days if i haven't received anything.

I mean come on.. in the days of GPS, how hard is it to track of freaking ship on a big ass water from the shipper.

[/list]

JG1967

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 04:00:41 PM »

The xx59A is junk IMO. I would not recommend these camera's to any one.

I bought two and had to return one because it was DOA. The second one keeps sending motion detection alerts. It got so annoying I turned motion detection off. I'm getting ready to send this one back as well. I may replace it with another model or I may not.

philip.milazzo@gmail.com

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 05:03:35 PM »

Judging from the recent promotional messages, the xx59a is coming to the end of its run. I wonder if there will be closeout pricing soon (they might as well be free since there are none right now), or if the out-of-stock status is permanent. If Sales or Customer Service is reading, maybe they will chime in.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 05:26:53 PM »

If Sales or Customer Service is reading, maybe they will chime in.
Funny.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

josw71

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 07:41:41 AM »

X10 service terrible, I am going thru the same experience as the above post I am notifying the BBB about their tactics.

philip.milazzo@gmail.com

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 10:42:20 AM »

As of a few minutes ago, this is the story on my xx59a cameras: this model is out of stock; the warehouse receives a shipment every Wednesday; the incoming order (due tomorrow) is a "full" order with no further quantity information available; orders are being filled in the order in which they were received; my RMA replacement order, which was confirmed on March 29 will DEFINITELY be filled this week. We'll see.

richy2

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 12:11:56 PM »

As of a few minutes ago, this is the story on my xx59a cameras: this model is out of stock; the warehouse receives a shipment every Wednesday; the incoming order (due tomorrow) is a "full" order with no further quantity information available; orders are being filled in the order in which they were received; my RMA replacement order, which was confirmed on March 29 will DEFINITELY be filled this week. We'll see.
That sounds about rightly happen with my order back in 2012.

Placed order.. Usually would get within 2-4 days after. After 10 days ( 2 weeks after orginial order ) contacted x10.
First told its on the way. so we wait a day... then we contact them again via phone this time and the rep informed me they are getting a shipment and it will ship out.

Got it the next day... worked right out the box  before mounting it with out problems...

josw71

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 07:38:41 PM »

:)+
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.