Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 PTZ Cam xx40A - Motion Detection/ email alerts  (Read 3036 times)

jrojas

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 PTZ Cam xx40A - Motion Detection/ email alerts
« on: March 25, 2013, 10:34:35 AM »

I have recently setup the xx40a PTZ camera and I found that there is  a flaw with the motion detection alarm.  When one is panning the camera, the motion detection is triggered, and if you have enabled email alerts then you are pounded with emails everytime the camera moves. I have played with many IP camera and never have I dealt with that.  motion detection is supposed to detect motion in the field not within the physical motion of the camera.  It appears that the firmware for the outdoor static cameras was just copied over to the PTZ camera.  Please change this ASAP as this is not true motion detection.  Yes the camera is in motion but i dont think anyone wants to be bombarded with emails when moving the camera especially if the camera was set up to auto -Pan. 

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: X10 PTZ Cam xx40A - Motion Detection/ email alerts
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 10:56:05 AM »

Please change this ASAP as this is not true motion detection.  
jrojas
This is a users group. X10 Inc responds very infrequently. If you want to ensure they get this message, you should call their Customer Support.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:32:47 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

richy2

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 12:08:09 PM »

I have played with many IP camera and never have I dealt with that.  motion detection is supposed to detect motion in the field not within the physical motion of the camera. 
Correct me if im wrong... but if the camera is panning.. isnt the field of view also changing which would be motion moving even if its just the camera.

My reason: if a tree is in the field of view and the camera begins panning, would't that more or less look as if the tree is moving?

JG1967

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 12:09:32 PM »

I called X10 support already about this. The response I got was that's the way these cameras's work. The motion detection senses changes in the image it is seeing and thus sets off an alarm. I got tired of getting a zillion emails and alerts so I have the camera in a static position now. Kinda defeats the purpose of motion detection and the PTZ function if you ask me. I could have just bought another fixed position Lorex camera and been done with it if I knew the X10 camera's were like this.  B:(

jrojas

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 03:01:48 PM »

well at least that was your response.  My response from tech support was to turn off the email alert.  which I hate those types of responses with a passion.

JG1967

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 03:11:47 PM »

Turn off the email alert, nice!  rofl

richy2

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 07:42:08 PM »

I'm curious that if the camera is panning and detects motion, you still wouldn't see what set off the alert if the camera is panned towards the south and motion enters from the north, by the time it pans back, it already to late to capture an image.

it could have been set off by a human, cat, car, piece of paper blowing in the wind, bird flying by etc... that is in the field of detection.

in that case, all you would know was something pass by in the field of detection if its panning.

i ve had mines sending me emails for every cat, car, and possible the branch shaking in the breeze and got pretty annoying fast.

It does have its use if someone is coming to the front door and its stationary.

JG1967

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 07:44:20 PM »

Just wrote an AppleScript for SecuritySpy software suite which briefly turns off the motion detection while the camera moves from preset to preset. The only problem I'm having is when the camera moves from the last preset to the first, the motion detection seems to activate the alarm no matter what I do.  B:(

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.