Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Would X10 with specs 50Hz work in the Philippines with 60Hz?  (Read 3541 times)

MusikerongBundukero

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Would X10 with specs 50Hz work in the Philippines with 60Hz?
« on: March 26, 2013, 08:48:59 AM »

X10 Automation in the Philippines is not common, so I've been thinking it's a good idea to make my house somewhat different from the rest. ;)  In my country, we use 220V, 60Hz line-to-line.  Some areas (suburbs and rural areas) use 220V-0V; while in the cities, 110V-110V line to line.

I am in the area with 110V-110V per line, 60Hz.  A neutral (third wire) is normally not installed.  All grounding terminations are connected to water pipes, and the like.

My question is, would products like the one listed in this starter kit http://x10modules.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=82 work in the Philippines with 220V 60Hz?  I'm considering purchasing this set online.

(Sorry guys, I kept checking the past posts, I couldn't get exactly what I need.)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: Would X10 with specs 50Hz work in the Philippines with 60Hz?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 09:52:09 AM »

It will probably work as long as you do not have multiple phases. The timing for second/third phases is hardcoded into the CM15Pro controllers but the main (i.e. local to the controller) phase ZC triggers the initial 120kHz burst for each half-cycle.

However, I suggest you address your question to X10modules.com before placing your order.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 11:26:08 AM »

Since the power line frequency/voltage doesn't exactly match either the US or europe, why not consider a different automation system?  Perhaps one of the wireless systems would work better for transmitting the signal.  Obviously, the modules would have to control the power either way, but I would suspect the communication would be the more difficult part in your case.  Good luck!

MusikerongBundukero

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 12:03:54 AM »

Guys, thanks for the responses... I must really coordinate this with them, since I understand they have the perfect answers to my questions.  I hope they respond the soonest.  (To date I still don't know how to contact them except by phone and it's not that practical in my area.  I'm a sailor, and a call here costs $2.20 per minute. Haha..)

Hi dhouston, I like the links you provided in your signature, thanks for that.

MusikerongBundukero

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 06:11:06 AM »

Finally!!! X10modules.com replied.. :)

For the record, I'm posting this message from them :)

"Our products are certified to operate on 220V/50HZ EU mains. However X10 modules will operate on 220V/60Hz if you are use in single-phase installation. Tech. explanation is that transceiver issue X10 bursts for each phase synchronized with zero cross. So in three phase installation there will be an issue."
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 06:47:49 AM by MusikerongBundukero »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 06:34:27 AM »

Verify that the power connectors match your countries outlets.
The modules are made in a few different models. Depending on the outlets used in that country.
I believe the Philippines uses an outlet similar to the ones here in the US.

MusikerongBundukero

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 06:49:53 AM »

Verify that the power connectors match your countries outlets.
The modules are made in a few different models. Depending on the outlets used in that country.
I believe the Philippines uses an outlet similar to the ones here in the US.

I'll take note on that too. Thanks for reminding me.  We use same in the US but more common is twin flat plugs.. (without the third conductor).

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.