Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MAC Software  (Read 2890 times)

bill

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
MAC Software
« on: April 22, 2013, 02:05:14 PM »

Once again, I thought that I'd search for a decent native X10 software package for MAC OSX.  While the Thinking Home product "appears" to be the only MAC software that can download to the CM-15 controller, it seems that this company has really stopped support, updates, etc (nothing in several years).  It is also nice that it interfaces with the X10 Commander on the iOS (iPhone/iPad) platform. Indigo seems to the the choice of many however it can get expensive (depending on the version) and while there are iOS interfaces, it does not have the ability to download to a controller.  The only other MAC application that I see is XTension which also does not allow downloading to a controller.

I do not understand with all of the MAC and iOS devices out there why there is not a reasonably priced piece of native OSX software that can do all that the Windows code can do, including downloading to the interface as well as smartphone applications.

Am I missing something in my searches for Apple based products to control X10?

Thanks, B

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: MAC Software
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 02:45:16 PM »

Am I missing something in my searches for Apple based products to control X10?
No.

Nor are there any Windows programs other than AHP that can download.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bill

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 04:17:28 PM »

It seems to be the right time to start the migration to Insteon so that I can program and control without the need of an PC (Win or Mac) application.  It also seems that this'll help to address some of the inherent problems with X10.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 08:25:45 PM »

It seems to be the right time to start the migration to Insteon so that I can program and control without the need of an PC (Win or Mac) application.  It also seems that this'll help to address some of the inherent problems with X10.

You are saying switching to Insteon will "...help to address some of the inherent problems with X10"
Yeah, probably will  :'
However whether Insteon or X10, using a 24/7 computer will always give you more power. You can get a really cheap used notebook(?) (I'm just sayin)  :D
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 06:04:57 AM »

Insteon can also be effected by things like signal suckers and noise makers. Not as bad as they do pass Insteon mesages from module to module.

You still in most cases need a method of coupling the homes phases together. Though the new Dual Band Models can usually do that.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 06:58:01 AM »

Bill,
You may wish to look into a Thin Client for your H.A.(better then a notebook)
They are designed to run in a office environment and have a small foot print.
They run Windows embedded and Active Home Pro will run on them.
Currently you can pick up a HP Thin Client on Ebay for under $80
I've just been turned on to these machines myself and have one running handling my x10 setup.
Although I don't run AHP with it but PC Companion(SkinnyGirl), it is running 24/7 using less then 20 watts with the CM15a connected to it.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.