Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ninja Pan and Tilt Mods.  (Read 22199 times)

pomonabill221

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
Re: Ninja Pan and Tilt Mods.
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 12:56:59 AM »

And the final pic showing the new board installed.
The white wire is the new 18.25" antenna routed under the controller board and out the hole in the bottom where the existing power cable is routed.
  the antenna just dangles (stranded #22).  It COULD be wrapped around the power cable, but should be stranded because the P/T moves and solid wire won't last too long with the constant flexing.
  The old P/T receiver could be used in the salvaged TM751, but the range is short by comparison.  I elected to make a motion detector wired instead.
  JUST REMEMBER THE LINE REFERENCED POWER SUPPLY!!!!!  I cannot overstate this!!!

pomonabill221

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 02:07:30 AM »

Great mod.  >!
Helpful from me.

One minor point. The TM751 is controlled by an RF signal only. So it will not act like a appliance module for power line signals.

I don't think you could even buy a preassembled 315MHz module and retune it for 310MHz as cheaply as sacrificing a TM751.
Gee I didn't see your Helpful... Thank You!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 06:17:01 AM »

Thank you for the added photos and information.

I found something odd with my TM751 Date Code 08D14.
Had the same 11245A Receiver board in it.

The connections to the board lower edge. Where two pads went to +5 volts buss.
One was Data.
The ground pad was not connected.
The power and signal common where through the shield of the miniature coax soldered to a coil can on the other edge of the main PCB.

pomonabill221

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 02:07:29 PM »

Using the shield is not a good method to connect gnd as usually the shield is ONLY for signal return and should not be used for power, although it does cut down on cost!  :'
    I attached a couple of pictures of my old TM (pre HiMark and not the one that I am talking about and not the one you have, you have the HiMark version that is the good one), showing the top of the board and the other is how it was installed. (hot melt glue of course!). ::)
  I did remove the shield for the antenna but it was attached to the lower right corner (top view).
  I would hard wire the +5,gnd, data to their respective points, and do not use the shield point to carry gnd.  The board layout, even though there is a massive amount of gnd plane, may not be optimal for current paths.
  It may work ok, but it would be better to use the actual gnd solder hole.
  One note... be careful on how much heat you use as the copper is rather thin near the edge of the board.
  I am assuming that your receiver board has the HiMark chip on it, even though the date code is 2008?
  If so, you are in luck!  If not, I don't know if the performance of the older receivers in the TM's are better than the HiMark's or not....
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 02:18:26 PM by pomonabill221 »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 02:28:36 PM »

Yes I agree. My Motorola Two Way Radio repair days. One would never use a shield for anything but antenna connection.
The main board in my TM751 didn't have a ground pad so I guess X10 decided to use the shield.  ::)
Yes my 2008 has the HiMark board with the same silk screened part number you photos show. That board is also in the SC1200 Security Console for RF reception.

My 2008 TM751 has a better range than my older RR501 or older TM751.

pomonabill221

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2011, 02:35:13 PM »

WELL GREAT!!!  You are in luck!
  Well since you ARE familiar with RF techniques, then you know about grounding/ RF signal paths.
  There are quite a few places where you can pick up ground that is close to the +5 input, so you could pick one of them.
  Don't think there is much (if any) decoupling on this board, so power and ground should be close together.
  I am VERY happy with the performance of the P/T with the HiMark receiver!!!
 So if you want to give it a go, it might be interesting to you (as it was to me), the difference in range that you get with the new receiver.  I was!
  As you probably already know... DON'T SQUISH THE COIL or EVEN MOVE IT!  I was able to bring it back in, but it took alot of fooling around and VERY gentle "manipulation" of the coil... it is rather critical how much you move the windings.
  Once I got it back, I dripped some wax on the coil to hold it (and remind me... DON'T TOUCH ME!!!)  rofl
  Good luck and I think you will be happy!!! >!

miket11

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 10:58:22 PM »

hey, im not very abdicated at this stuff. can someone help me with increasing the range of the wireless remote of this ninja pan and tilt module. Thanks
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.