Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: strange behavior from XPS3 switch  (Read 5127 times)

nabril15

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
strange behavior from XPS3 switch
« on: April 30, 2013, 09:57:41 PM »

Hello
I have an XPS3 switch outside that controls a standard outdoor flood light with motion sensor. The XPS3 switch is inside my pool pump box which connects to the main electrical panel outside the house; I have a second panel in the garage for the circuits inside the house.

I am able to easily turn on/off that XPS3 using a WR12A remote control and a RR501 transceiver. But if I use the mT13A mini programmer to attemp to turn on/off, nothing happens. Whether I manually force on/off or through a timer, that XPS3 doesnt respond.

Why does this happen? I can try connecting the MT13a to different outlets throughout the house to test, but I use it to control a lot of house lights, and the current location of the mT13a seems to be a good one.

Thank you

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: strange behavior from XPS3 switch
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 06:14:43 AM »

You may have power line issues. Like noise or electronic devices that absorb the power line signals {signal suckers}.
Do you have any phase coupler or repeaters between the phases of the home?
Does the HR12A and RR501 control the XPS3 if the RR501 is in the same outlet as the MT13A?
I would as a test try the MT13A in different locations and see if it can control the XPS3 in some locations.
Here are some links to troubleshooting X10 problems and usefull information.
http://www.davehouston.net/
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://www.act-remote.com/PCC/uncle.htm

nabril15

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 10:15:18 AM »

You may have power line issues. Like noise or electronic devices that absorb the power line signals {signal suckers}.
Do you have any phase coupler or repeaters between the phases of the home?
Does the HR12A and RR501 control the XPS3 if the RR501 is in the same outlet as the MT13A?
I would as a test try the MT13A in different locations and see if it can control the XPS3 in some locations.
Here are some links to troubleshooting X10 problems and usefull information.
http://www.davehouston.net/
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://www.act-remote.com/PCC/uncle.htm

If you rearrange 2 letters in your name, you get the word "brain". Thank you Brian.
I moved the MT13A to another outlet, and it controls the outside light and the others.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 01:12:49 PM »

Glad you found a spot where everything works.
It sounds like you have some areas of the home with power line signal issues.

nabril15

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 08:34:21 PM »

Brian
I would like to get your opinion on something. We are having an outdoor gazebo built in our backyard, and of course the contractor came out with an electrician to survey the power needs, etc. I have 2 panels: the main one outside which has the main breaker and all the outdoor stuff (pool and irrigation pump, and air blower for pool), and I have a second panel in the garage which has all of the house's internal circuits. In examining the outside one with 150 amps (the house was built in 1979), he determined that we need to upgrade to a standard 200 amp feed; it will require a new outdoor panel and to possibly touch the connections between the 2 panels---i pray not because those are inside the house and inside the roof i think, and that will entail major $$ and destruction.

So. Since I am having a new panel put in, and I may possibly have rewiring, can I take advantage of this to make my house more X-10 friendly? Is there some device that I can install to reduce noise, interference, whatever? Do I need to move on from X10 to something newer? I've got x10 all over the house and I'm super happy with it, so I dont think I need to change.
Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 06:20:59 AM »

There is no device to reduce noise and signal sucking for the whole houses devices. There is one for incoming noise from the street but I have no real users inputted data on it.

You can have a 220 volts circuit added with an outlet and then uses a JV Engineering XTB-IIR Coupler Repeater wired with a power cord and plug into the new outlet. That way you don't have to mess in the breaker box and do a hard wired device. That I am fairly sure the towns electrical inspector may look at in an unfriendly way.

Even with an XTB-IIR you may find a few electronic devices that need a filter. Just a fact of modern electronic device we now use.

Other automation protocols also have their flaws. Insteon may pass messages between them but a good noise maker or signal sucker can also degrade Insteon. Not to say a typical Insteon switch is now $59.99 each.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:36:02 AM by Brian H »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 10:29:51 AM »

The primary advantage to Insteon over X10 from reading is that all Insteon devices act as repeaters and transmitters.  So, if you have a weak signal with X10 to a long line run, if you were to add any Insteon device between the panel and the low signal device, you would improve things.  I have never used Insteon, though I do have one device installed (running in X10 mode).  The only solution I have found for similar problems in X10 is to either relocate the device so it's closer to the panel or to buy an expensive repeater and install it next to the problem location.

Other than that, the two technologies seem effectively identical according to their documentation. 

nabril15

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 10:52:44 AM »

thank you to both

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 11:37:33 AM »

Insteon devices only pass on Insteon Commands and do not pass on X10 commands.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 06:46:14 PM »

After re-reading my post, I realized that I did suggest that Insteon would repeat both X10 and Insteon.  From what I've read, yes, they only repeat Insteon.  There is no device that will repeat X10 like that currently being sold (that I've found) other than XTBR, but I don't know if Jeff sells those any more either.  I personally had the same problem and solved it by installing an XTB-IIR and then eventually just moving the module closer.  I decided that in my case, it was much cheaper, easier, and more reliable to just move the device rather than worrying about another repeater type device that was relatively expensive and not a guaranteed solution anyway.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 06:22:47 AM »

Smarthome still has their BoostrLinc device. Very expensive and I am not too sure how effective it is.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 01:37:52 PM »

I thought, last time I checked, that was discontinued.  Obviously they still have some anyway.  At that price though, I'd find another way!

gattaca

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 01:24:47 PM »

After re-reading my post, I realized that I did suggest that Insteon would repeat both X10 and Insteon.  From what I've read, yes, they only repeat Insteon.  There is no device that will repeat X10 like that currently being sold (that I've found) other than XTBR, but I don't know if Jeff sells those any more either.  I personally had the same problem and solved it by installing an XTB-IIR and then eventually just moving the module closer.  I decided that in my case, it was much cheaper, easier, and more reliable to just move the device rather than worrying about another repeater type device that was relatively expensive and not a guaranteed solution anyway.
Check w/ Jeff, I would not do X10 w/o his XTBR-II and XTBR-ANR units.   Since I installed these, I've not had any trouble anywhere in my home with signals.  His signal meter is a god send as well and the stuff is engineered and built like nothing you will from non-US sources.   Highly recommended.   

I am not affiliated with Jeff other than a happy customer.  http://jvde.us/xtb_index.htm

Later, V.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 03:48:16 PM »

I would not do X10 w/o his XTBR-II and XTBR-ANR units.   Since I installed these, I've not had any trouble anywhere in my home with signals.  His signal meter is a god send as well and the stuff is engineered and built like nothing you will from non-US sources.   Highly recommended.   

I am not affiliated with Jeff other than a happy customer.  http://jvde.us/xtb_index.htm

Later, V.
I second the motion.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.