Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Internal PC interface (PCI, PCIe)  (Read 6367 times)

babybearjs

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Internal PC interface (PCI, PCIe)
« on: April 05, 2013, 01:55:26 AM »

it would be nice to see an ActiveHome Pro Internal PC Interface. how hard would it be to design something like that? or would the electronics of the computer interfere with the operation on the unit.  even a Desktop unit would be nice, something that sits on the desk, instead of plugging into the wall....

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Internal PC interface (PCI, PCIe)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 06:19:29 AM »

Since X10 closed their factory in China and is using some third party factories. To make some of the modules and third party OEM things like IP Cameras.
I doubt much engineering is going into any new X10 products.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 07:20:43 PM »

If using only RF isn't a big deal you could use a cm19 tucked inside a PC case.
using a USB card that had a internal port would also hide the cord.
I had thought of doing something along those lines with my HP Thin Client,  even pulling the pc board out of the CM19 doesn't reduce it's foot print much.
The space inside my Thin Client is limited. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

babybearjs

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 01:44:08 AM »

Its sad, I worked in the electrical hardware retail feild for 10 years, have always been a electrical buff and have had x10 products since the late 1980's. If they would work within the industry to promote their product they would do better. first off, theyre product is too expensive, not US made and they have aleinated leviton and cooper wiring devices by not offering better products. now the Z-wave is taking over, but thats still too expesive. X10 need to work with Leviton electrical product to promote their system. leviton had always had the DHC (decora home controls) line which was based in the PLC technology. it still works, and can be made IF X10 would get off their butts and contract with leviton and cooper wiring devices to make the product line. the price needs to come down so the general home owner and the public in general can afford the system.... its getting too expensive and people won't buy into it. Home depot tried several years ago to sell the X10 line, they dropped it because X10 could not provide the stock... wonder what would have happend if they had Leviton backing them up?? then what.... X10 could have made a great sale! plus, they use to sell their product through Sears, and Radioshack.... both companies dropped the line due to cost, too expensive... now, if Leviton it the "parent" behind the X10 system, then its really their fault for not selling the product in the first place... home automation is not just for the rich, its for everyone. though you have to be "rich" to afford it... crazy world, now isint it....

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 06:04:54 AM »

Many of the Leviton X10 devices are now being discontinued.
The 6287 small wired in X10 filter. They use to make is now discontinued along with many other modules we use to reccommend.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 06:25:30 AM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 09:32:30 AM »

X10 used to make all the Leviton PLC products, but I think Leviton saw the handwriting on the wall a decade ago. They are putting their money in UPB (for PLC), ZigBee, and Z-Wave (for RF). $0.02.
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=56537&minisite=10251
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.