Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Detector Who  (Read 2089 times)

richy2

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Detector Who
« on: May 07, 2013, 10:56:54 AM »

I have my ptz pro xx40 outside and wondered why at 3am when i can see nothing moving outside why the motion alarm kept going off.

it seems even in a closed space ( like a garage) with no movement sources ( animals, trees, the ocassional paper blowing in the wind ) the motion still detects something.

My last thought would be tiny flying bugs we call the pesky flys, nats, etc but that would be reaching.

I wonder if the camera was facing just a wall, would the motion be activated?

or

where is the IR beam located in the camera to detect movment?
What is the range? field of detection?

anyone?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Detector Who
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 01:07:21 PM »

where is the IR beam located in the camera to detect movment?
What is the range? field of detection?

anyone?
I don't have any of these cameras so this is speculation based on experience with larger systems used at government installations.

In that example, a video processor which had multiple camera inputs and would put four or eight images on a monitor, detected motion not the camera itself. However the principle is likely the same.

Motion detection had nothing to do with PIR detection. Instead the processor simply analyzed the incoming video frame by frame for a change in the static image. If the current frame is identical to the previous frame, then no movement is detected and no alarm. If current frame is different from previous frame, then (maybe) something moved. From that point the detection software then looks at the number of lines changed to determine whether the change in video is actual movement or a light change, a pan, tilt, zoom, etc.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 01:19:21 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Mud Pie

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 10:12:27 PM »

Wind shaking the camera, maybe ?

Bats flying by ?

richy2

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 09:33:03 AM »

Bats flying by ?
tenny tiny micro....No wait.. i got it... GHOSTS!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 05:18:54 PM »

Bats flying by ?
Wind shaking camera would change every line in frame, so it *should* be ignored. A black bat moving against a dim sky should have triggered an alarm, depending on how close the bat was to the camera. Black bat on equally black sky...I dunno. I do not know how many video screen lines have to change to trigger an alarm. Again, I am describing systems I am familiar with, not an Airsight camera. I just do not think the Airsight cameras rely on a PIR detector. I would guess they simply analyze the image for relative changes. $0.02
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JG1967

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 09:42:04 PM »

Changes in lighting will trip the motion detection as well as small bugs. I even had my front porch cam alarming because some ambitious spider decided to make a web right above it.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.