Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: miniAndroidPC  (Read 17650 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
miniAndroidPC
« on: May 21, 2013, 07:31:28 AM »

Has anybody tried anything like this...
Dell is introducing a similar product later this year and the articles I've seen on it piqued my interest and it turned out that there are already a few such devices.

Since it connects via HDMI, it allows one to instantly switch between TV and internet browser. I'm considering the one I linked to along with
I can envision it running Android Home Automation apps so one might seldom need to leave the recliner.  -:)
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: miniAndroidPC
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 09:20:14 AM »

Yes I use a MK802 with TAC  to interface to my HA setup.
A few other users run newer versions I believe the newest is the MK818
it has Bluetooth and a built in camera and sells for about $68.

The Wi-Fi range on the MK802 is not that great but if close to your router it is ok.
Also the MK802 gets very warm while plugged in there is no on/off switch.
You can find more info and links for android mini pcs on my forum  
 >!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:31:07 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 09:48:25 AM »

Yes I use a MK802 with TAC  to interface to my HA setup.
The MK802 was out of stock and I do not need the camera so I ordered the MK808. My router is within 10' of where this will be located. My TV uses a WiFi link with no problems so I expect this will work OK if the wireless USB keyboard range is adequate.

Thanks for the feedback.  :)%
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 10:00:54 AM »

I use a wireless mouse keyboard combo with the MK802 with no issues.
However I never tested the range.
I suspect that would depend on the wireless mouse keyboard manufacture and not the 808 anyways.

I believe KENRAD uses the MK808 with a powered USB hub to run extra hardware on the unit like Camera and microphone.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

localuser

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 11:37:50 PM »

I have been using the MX5 dual core android box that I bought from aliexpress.com for just over a month now.   

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=android+box&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20130521193411

They have tons of different android devices of all kinds of form factors coming out.   

Look up "fly mouse" or "air mouse" on your favorite shopping site and you will find of tons of options similar to the Logitech link you posted.

I plugged mine into a KillAWatt monitor and it never used more than 10 watts and usually stayed somewhere around 6-8 watts of power.     I run xmbc on mine.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 03:25:38 PM »

I got the MK808 and must say I am underwhelmed. It displays a Google TV screen but there's no documentation that might tell me how to get it to do something semi-useful.

Does anyone know where I might find some documentation

I bought it through Amazon so I can return it if I cannot get it to work.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 08:52:19 AM »

You need a wireless mouse or mouse /keyboard USB combo to navigate.
There should be videos on Youtube that may be helpful.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 10:50:20 AM »

I have the wireless Logitech K400 keyboard w/touchpad that I referenced in my first post. It did not help. The MK808 froze my TV whenever it was plugged into HDMI and under power - I could not even switch to another input. There was no way to move beyond the initial screen to configure WiFi or anything else.

I'm sending it back for a refund. A replacement is on a slow boat from China so it will be a few weeks before I can do more experimenting. While waiting, I'll try the keyboard with my tablet.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 11:03:08 AM »

Does sound like a defective unit.
While your waiting on your replacement you might wish to look at the Mini PC Forums
It is a fairly new forum which has some reviews and video posts.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 12:43:21 PM »

I had already stumbled across the forum but haven't dug into it yet. Based on the number of posts to the MK808 forum (694, far more than any of the other forums), it must be either very popular or very troublesome - I guess I'll find out which.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 12:57:26 PM by dhouston »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 11:31:05 AM »

I received the second unit and hooked it up this AM.

At first, it kept displaying, Retrieving Data followed by Not Support! but slowly began to function, displaying Google TV then Android then after numerous reboots and episodes of the screen blanking, made it to the home page. I managed to make a WiFi connection to my router (weaker than expected but probably OK - 2 BARS vs 4 BARS for my other WiFi link to the TV). I can switch inputs between it, TV, DVD/VHS, etc.

The K400 wireless keyboard works and appears to have adequate range. I need to study its user manual - the touchpad is not intuitive.

The video is still intermittent but seems to be gradually improving. I'm letting it burn in (or out), hoping the video will settle down and I can start making some use of it. I have browsed a couple of web sites so it looks promising if this unit (or another) proves reliable.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 12:34:30 PM »

The unit most likely needs all the apps updated which may take some time depending on what all was preloaded on it.
There have been many complaints with the Wi-Fi signal on these units that com with a internal antenna.
I have yet to move mine to its intended location at the cottage but I'm hoping for better Wi-Fi there as it will be closer to the router with no obstructions in the line of sight between the two.
I'm concerned with how warm my unit gets if left on for a extended time.
I need to test it with an appliance module so I'm able to turn it on/off since it has no on/off capabilities its self. :(
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 01:42:18 PM »

It seems to have stabilized after a couple of hours under power. There are frequent video flickers but no more lengthy black screens. And, the unit is only slightly warm after being powered for a couple of hours. Now that it appears stable, I want to try it on a different HDMI input - the one that originally gave me the Not Support! screen.

I think I need to disable gestures on my keyboard as I am occasionally surprised by a change of scene (or screen).

The keyboard/touchpad functioned from the get-go, with no need to install drivers, and once things started to stabilize, it was remarkably simple to setup WiFi, set the time zone, etc.

As for WiFi range, it has the same path to the router as the TV itself but the connection is only half as good. One suggestion on the forum was that Wifi range was better using a hub and wired keyboard/mouse. For now, it seems adequate but I might try using a short cable to move the wireless USB dongle away from the unit.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:49:52 PM by dhouston »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 09:30:16 AM »

I had to reboot it this AM and after the reboot it again exhibited the frequent black screens which lessen in frequency after a few minutes under power.

The MK808 does not get hot - I'd call it warm.

Reorienting the antenna on my router (from vertical to 45°) has increased the WiFi signal to 3 bars out of 4 without my TV or other WiFi links taking a hit.

At this point, I think this is far from being ready for primetime. It needs a way to reboot without having to unplug the power. It should go into low-power standby automatically when the TV is off (a connection to the TV USB port could sense when the TV is on/off). There needs to be a cure for the intermittent video. And, it needs a better WiFi antenna.

I'll post to the miniAndroidPC forum later to see if other users can offer suggestions to improve operation.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 03:27:02 PM »

I read on one of the forums that the mk808 has a software on/off button which appears on the main screen now.
If you don't have this your firmware is out of date
You may need to do a firmware flash so your up to date.
That may fix your video and Wi-Fi issues.
You maybe able to write something with B4Android to place the mini into sleep mode, and bring it back once a USB video connection is detected.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.