Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to Access Camera Over the Internet  (Read 1934 times)

nativedc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
How to Access Camera Over the Internet
« on: May 29, 2013, 08:18:38 PM »

If I have my camera properly configured and my router port forwarding is correct how does one access the camera over the internet? Is it via the camera's IP address, i.e., http:10.0.0.XX:port#? Or via the DDNS service, i.e., http://c0000.airsight.net:port#? Which is correct?

Tyler E

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: How to Access Camera Over the Internet
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 11:46:47 AM »

You should use the DDNS address, it is the most reliable way to do it. Another way is to use your network's external IP address with the :port at the end.
Having trouble port forwarding your Airsight camera? Check out my guide!

F1Guy123

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 01:18:34 PM »

You all understand that by placing these cameras on your internal home network you are opening a hole in your security that anyone can drive a TRUCK through?

There are 100's of IP cam manufacturers like X-10 and NONE of them tell the truth about how unsecure they are.  Do you care that ANYONE could easily gain access to your home/wireless network if you set these cams up for internet access??

Your web access on the internet to your cams IS HTTP NOT HTTPS.  So that means all of your conversation INCLUDING YOUR CAM ID/PASSWORD is going across the internet IN THE CLEAR for anyone to read.  Next do you realize that the 'hackers' are keenly aware that everyone is using cams, so there are MILLIONS of automated 'bots' out there searching for this traffic and collecting these passwords???

1 - You install an IP cam on your home wireless LAN.
2 - You configure your internet router to port forward to pass traffic to the cams.
3 - You create a DDNS account (optional if you don't have a static IP on your WAN)
4 - You run a browser out on the internet, point to your home IP/URL for the cam...
5 - You enter the password for the cam.
6 - You are connected to the cam from the outside/internet

Since the connection is HTTP that means the password, your home IP address... everything about this conversation is in the clear, readable by all.

Now that they have the ID and password to log into your camera... they can simply browse to your cameras Wifi settings and NOW THEY HAVE YOUR SSID AND PASSPHRASE TO LOG INTO YOUR HOME WIRELESS NETWORK!

Use them at your own risk if you must.  But DO NOT think for a second that everyone else can't see your cams and get to your wireless network.  You secured your wireless network using encryption etc to keep people out.  This camera/internet connection scheme LITERALLY BROADCASTS your secret info to get onto your wireless home network.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 01:53:31 PM »

Anyone setting these up should not be using the admin account to log on over the web.
If one uses a visitor or operator account they are locked out of the settings page.
If a hacker gets a hold of a  visitor of operator account info the most they can do is view and control the camera.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.